CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

I’m using the normal bsnes core. The mercury variants are based on older versions of bsnes and are mainly for older hardware I think. So the recommended SNES core with the best accuracy is bsnes. If your PC isn’t strong enough you van try the latest snes9x core.

2 Likes

I think the 2014 cores are similar tot the mercury cores. You can try them out and see which one suits you best.

1 Like

:grimacing:

Thank you for the clarification!

Actually, my Flycast was set at 640x480 (default) when testing out the shaders. Was just wondering how your shaders worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

640 x 480 is high res in the context of Retro gaming. Lol

You know this doesn’t make much sense, right? Because if it did, then I wouldn’t have been able to get those screenshots to show you at 1080p non-scaled, non-stretched, centered on a 4K Screen. The screen doesn’t even matter for screenshots.

You know, I’ve seen instances where there were settings enabled that were causing havoc recently on an AMD RX 6700XT and even though they were changed, the effects still persisted. Even after a DDU clean install.

You know what was done to resolve them?

Turning off FreeSync, Turning Off HDR in Windows. (You didn’t tell me if HDR was on or off in Windows did you?) Enabling GPU Scale, Disabling GPU Scale.

Only then did the system start back working properly. The issue then was the 120Hz refresh rate mode had disappeared.

Although it might sound quirky, you can try that and see. Test with GPU Scale both on and off and make sure HDR is off in Windows and in RetroArch and FreeSync is off as well. You can also try enabling Integer Scale when you turn GPU Scale On.

1 Like

Didn’t know until just a few days ago that the PS1 ran at 240p :grin:

Did you just quote and disagree with yourself? :rofl:

I’m confused :see_no_evil:

Ok this is gonna take me a while to test as I only get time for gaming on the weekends. I will do my best to attempt these and let you know.

P. S. I don’t have HDR enabled.

1 Like

For those who can’t stand playing SNES games without an NTSC Shader (or one that uses GTU), I present to you…

CyberLab_SNES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

As you can clearly tell from the filename, it doesn’t require any additional video filters and it also doesn’t require BSNES Blur emulation to be turned on.

So without further ado…

Right click on the image, click Open in New Tab then press F11 for Fullscreen for 4K users. Zoom in until it looks right for 1440p or 1080p users.

Merry Christmas!!

6 Likes

I was aware of this, I though you could maybe try snes9x or another core. It would be interesting if the Blargg NTSC filter could be ported to slang by someone who has the experience. :slight_smile:

Yes, I took a look at these shaders, but personally I just prefer a more blurry image. Also I do have access to a 4K screen, but most of the time I can only use 1080p.

Ok. I though they also worked on the 256x224 resolution games, but apparently the blur only takes effect in hi-res games.

Sorry, I wasn’t really clear. The preset and the filter load just fine seperatly, but not when they are combined. The problem also occurs when the preset pack and the Mega Bezel are in V 1.5.0.

Yeah sorry, I only looked at the date and thought it was a bit “old” and saw that a few parameters changed. Of course I understand that it takes a lot of work to constantly review and update the shader pack whenever a new Mega Bezel version is released. I was just wondering if i could use the latest version, because in my case I haven’t encountered any bugs when using the latest Mega Bezel version.

1 Like

Have you seen my post immediately above your last post?

You can use the Snes9X Core with it’s built-in Blargg Filters as well as my Custom Filter presets.

Another thing you can do is try my newest Shader Preset Pack and SNES Composite Slot Mask IV OLED NTSC preset which I released just recently.

You didn’t really get back to me on these suggestions I made.

Have you tried saving a Core Override for the Blargg Filter Preset you would like to use? You might get different behaviour if you allow the Blargg filter to autoload as opposed to trying to load, reload and switch video filter presets mid session.

Seeing that the only folder that gives you this issue us the MBZ__0__Smooth_Advance folders, then I think you’ve found your solution/workaround right there. Just use any of the other folders that do work for you.

Do you think there’s any difference at all or any major difference between my newest presets in any of the other folders?

It’s not only about the work, it’s also about the cost vs benefit of doing the work and the relevance.

I went ahead and updated for version 1.6.3, however so far, I haven’t really seen anything that’s different quality wise in any of my presets, however there have been performance/compatibility regressions.

Updating for updating sake doesn’t make sense all the time. Yes bugs may be fixed and they have and features may be added, not always relevant to every particular use case or context though but sometimes a preset looks exactly the way I would like it to look and an update or change in the implementation of a certain function of the shader can cause it to look different.

I usually don’t want it to look different. If it should look different, I tend to want it to be because of a choice or change I made and am completely aware of and in control of.

Even HSM doesn’t always update the Mega Bezel Reflection Shader available through the Online Updater as soon as there’s a new release in his repo.

Of course you can, then you can see exactly what I’m talking about first hand. You might have to manually change some Shader Parameters in order to get things to look as intended, or maybe you’ll find the unintended differences in the shader presets to actually be more to your liking.

These are some of the differences I’ve found between 1.6.3 base presets and 1.6.4, I haven’t even begun to talk about 1.7.0. They’re sometimes documented but not all of them are all the time.

old
HSM_DEDITHER_MODE = 1

NEW
HSM_DEDITHER_MODE = "3.000000"

old
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = 0

NEW
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = 600

old
shadowMask = 3

NEW
shadowMask = 1
mask_bloom = 0.3

I’m not so sure about the blurry part because that might just give me a headache but you can also try my RGB Smooth, Computer Monitor Smooth or other presets with the word “Soft” in the filenames.

You can also try turning on DSR or VSR in your display driver settings and set your desktop to 4K and use my Le’Sarsh_4K_Optimized presets. Finally you can go into Shader Parameters and turn down the sharpness settings.

1 Like

CyberLab_NES_S-Video_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

CyberLab_NES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

4 Likes

Coming soon…

CyberLab_Turbo_Duo_S-Video_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

Right click on the image, click Open in New Tab then press F11 for Fullscreen for 4K users. Zoom in until it looks right for 1440p or 1080p users.

4 Likes

Hmmm…I wonder what’s next…

4 Likes

Motion blur?..

1 Like

Definitely not motion blur…lol. If you’ve been following my posts and preset pack development over the past week or so you might have noticed a common trend in each of my recent updates.

In any case the screenshots reveal what preset I’m working on next.

1 Like

lol… I was making a Sonic the Hedgehog influenced guess. :blush:

1 Like

Recently when testing out all the different presets I noticed that even when vulkan renderer was set and saved to current config when I launch Mupen64Plus-Next it resets renderer back to glcore.

How should I proceed? Do I change renderer, then load preset? Should I be using a different core? Appreciate the feedback.

1 Like

I’ve never noticed this because I use ParaLLel most of the time. I’ve seen recommendations to use Mupen64 along with ParaLLel RDP or Angrylion RDP though or at least something like that.

I think @hgoda90 mentioned it in a post somewhere and it might have also been mentioned elsewhere.

1 Like

Yeah, the RDPs will force the Video driver no matter which one is set as default.

2 Likes

Awesome. thx for hitting back so quick. Ima give ParaLLel a shot. Any core options you recommend with it?

1 Like

Not really as I’m not really a big n64 fan and I don’t even think ParaLLEl is a recommended core to use. Perhaps @hgoda90 or anyone else can be so kind as to refresh our memories as to what combinations are recommended for Mupen64? Is it just the ParaLLEl or Angrylion RDPs that should be changed? Anything else?.

I think the idea is to get the best of compatibility and performance with new features and updates.

1 Like

Mupen64 recommended core options are game dependent. You will just have to test each RDP with each game and see which one works best. The same goes for ParaLLEI with the GFX and RSP plugin settings.

2 Likes