Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Favourite set would be the BVM 20F1E when it comes to 240p. Sadly not that many buttons since they are all on the remote. Here one could think of either putting the remote on the top of the screen or make a version of it with the suitable mount kit. Otherwise there is the PVM 20L4 or 20L5 (the latter never released here in Germany) that has the controls on the left and the right side of the screen in the forms of buttons that light up when activated. Could be a cool eye candy for a theme.

A similar glow up button control can be fond on the PVM2950 which is a set that looks more like a consumer set.

For variation there are also the MD versions of PVMs which had white / grey housings which would also look nice as a bezel.

Another PVM that has lots of knobs and buttons, is shadow mask and therefore has horizontal and vertical curvature is the Ikegami TM20-17R. The current bezels reminded me of it since it has a very deep bezel.

Also maybe some love can be given to the tally light on the top of the bezels that can light up when the screen is in use.

My personal go to set is the Bang and Olufsen Beocenter 1 since I love the design and the image quality is very good for a consumer set. There is also the Bang and Olufsen MX8000 that is a 29" with a very simple design language.

There is a huge community around CRTs on Reddit and FB. Maybe there could be some collaboration between these enthusiasts that know every detail about their cathode ray babies although many of them would call emulation, shaders and bezels Blasphemy :slight_smile:

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/

Here is a picture of some of my CRTs.

3 Likes

@Duimon I have been playing the Vectrex and it is wonderful what you have done, it looks great, the flickers hurt but that is a thing of the original hardware, by the way I did not know that it was so small.

PS: I love the Scramble and the Berzerk :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :blush:

2 Likes

So that’s what a crt flex looks like, huh. well I’m jealous lol.

@faxesystem

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

I am definitely doing the Ikegami TM20-17RA. :grin:

ikegami-20-color-video-broadcast-crt-monitor-tm20-17ra-12.35__84638.1489977082

Love the LEDs for night mode, and with the handles on the side the aspect is probably perfect.

The BVM 20F1E without the remote is also just about perfect, with some extra width on the bezel sides to balance out the added height of the frame. (Although I may have to take a few liberties.)

Golden stuff sir! :grin:

Speaking of CRTs. Have you seen this project of mine?

2 Likes

Can you maybe get me a shot of one that is lit?

1 Like

Here is a more serious attempt at the 3DS WIP, with integer scale.

Eliminating the black line at the screen edge and decreasing the bezel height and width gave just enough room for the screens. (After some serious surgery on the hinge.)

While it will never live up to close inspection, there is enough right about it to trick the mind into not seeing the wrong. I like it. :grin:

Some final tweaking will have to wait until @HyperspaceMadness blesses us with a new 3DS preset.

Here is a glance at the first WIP of the Horizontal graphic.

Obviously this, (Like the NDS horizontal.) is just representational. The left screen uses integer scaling. (The right is independent.)

Since the screen size for both of these is pretty much set in stone, I can do some fine tuning on the the surrounding details in the graphics.

I am open to suggestions on what to do with the controls on the right. (Keeping them all, deleting some etc.) I would even consider centering the screen if someone thought it might be attractive.

I would also like to have a logo somewhere on the horizontal.

9 Likes

I’m really liking these 3DS graphics, getting the integer scaling going on the vertical is a win for me. The hinge looks good too, not something you’re going to immediately notice as different. I always thought the 3DS XL was a good looking console and this is doing it justice.

For the horizontal, maybe you could move the controls a little tighter and center them a little more, leaving room above for a logo. I’m not a design expert by any means, just food for thought.

Appreciate the update and you’re on the right track with these!

3 Likes

Yay! That 3DS shapes up really well.

I am very impressed how quickly you manage to get those ready)))

Thank you!

3 Likes

It’s already looks amazing :star_struck:

As for suggestions, I liked the regular NDS horizontal graphic a lot where it has contol buttons on bottom.

I think having control buttons on screen is a good reference point when game ask you to push some certain button to proceed :upside_down_face: This is a real deal especially when you have RA setup for a dozen of system where every system has its own controller scheme. Basically let’s say it’s a pretty good qol feature to have controller buttons on the graphic :relaxed:

7 Likes

This is the tally light of the TM20-17R it‘s a bit different to the ones in the Sony PVMs. Sadly I‘m not at my place where my BVM/PVM are but if needed I can provide you with plenty of images of the TM20-17R since I have this set up.

6 Likes

Thank you! These shots, coupled with some close up shots I have found and i think I have just what I need. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Here’s what I decided on the 3DS.

I thought moving the small screen up would set it apart from the Big/Small emulator default.

I also took the time to fine tune the built-in bezels. :grin: In all likelihood I will have to change it again. I have my doubts about the aspect of the small screen. :innocent:

I am looking forward to playing some games on this once the fixed preset is released. :smile:

6 Likes

I like it vertically and horizontally, I like that you give options for all that is very good.

3 Likes

It’s glorious!

I hope Timo (the original creator) himself saw this!

BTW, you missed the START button:

1 Like

Nope, didn’t miss it, I just put it on top instead of the face.:grin:

I don’t know about the creator, but the forum community has been very encouraging.

2 Likes

So Here is a shot of my latest NDS Vertical.

I took the advice of @HyperspaceMadness and scaled using non-integer to the exact integer scale. As he suggested this will give perfect integer for 1080 & 4K but still work at other resolutions.

SInce the work on the old non-integer graphics is pretty much complete, and there are CRT reference options, (And maybe other LCD option in the future.) I am going to release them as alternate versions. If I do presets for them I will probably do CRT with no scanlines. I am still trying out some fake scanline options. i will post some shots if I come up with something I like.

7 Likes

OK… here is the first 3DS Vertical shot with the fixed preset! :partying_face:

I haven’t made up my mind if I am going to tweak the built-in bezel yet. (I think it looks pretty good now.) In any case, I will be spending some hours the next couple of days putting the finishing touches on all of these and getting the graphics and the presets up in the repo. :grin:

I hear the WonderSwan duo calling my name but first I think I need to do another PVM and get some sample PVM presets done.

There are also some unfinished Advanced presets waiting for some love.

Fun times everyone! :smile:

10 Likes

Oops! I had the Scanline direction multipliers turned down to 50%. :innocent:

Here’s a real look.

6 Likes

Great job @Duimon, it looks very good, I see that now you have put with the laptops, I will try the 3DS when you have it and I will wait for the others patiently.

Thanks for the great work. :wink:

1 Like

With some final tweaks, I have added the 3DS Standard to the repo.

The last shot is the new/old alternate version. It is using the DrVenom CRT preset as a reference. I have scanlines off and am using a lottes mask. Some purists may not like it but it looks more authentic than a clean screen. You can always turn the mask off if you prefer.

When I do the NDS update the current NDS graphics and presets will be renamed to NDS_Alt etc. and the new integer scale versions will be replace them.

For both systems I am only doing alternates for the vertical. :grin: (With the vertical, especially the NDS which is already released for the Standard and Advanced, I didn’t want either the graphics or my time to disappear into the ether.)

One thing to note, (And since the dual screen stuff is still very much beta, only @HyperspaceMadness knows if it may change.) If you do any internal resolution scaling, you will have to tweak the 2nd screen cropping as it will break.

You may also notice, I have changed the canvas background and added a vignette. I think it highlights the console. :innocent:

8 Likes