Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Another Advanced presets update. The SEGA Naomi!

Standard.

Advanced.

Here we are using the Bezel Image Layer for the main body of the cabinet, and it’s HSV parameters to change the color of the cabinet. The speakers are included in this image layer and will respond to any changes in brightness, but I don’t think it will be a real problem.

The background is separated and I took the liberty of using HSM’s awesome carbon fiber.

The bezel, cabinet sides, and Naomi Decal are using the Decal Layer.

I am also using Top Extra Layer for a drop shadow image, so it can be hidden if it looks wrong with a background you choose.

4 Likes

In your github repo in the new advanced GBA.slangp file the BackgroundImage line references GBA.png, not GBA_Background_Advanced.png :wink:

Naomi looks amazing :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. It is fixed. :grin:

Here’s a quick sample of the results of my trial run of the BASIC-BORDER-WITH-REFLECT base shader and my Hybrid graphics.

Essentially it looks the same as HSM’s normal shader, which is the point.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with my Hybrid graphics and the method for using them…

Normally we use the RA Video aspect of our monitors for HSM’s shader. Here I am using 4X3 instead of 16X9.

I have used the BASIC-BORDER-WITH-REFLECT preset and the “Use Image For Placement” parameter, to auto scale and position the screen on top of one of my RA Overlays. Then I loaded one of my Hybrid graphics, (Essentially the overlay image with no bezel, only the frame.) as an overlay. Since the shader handles all the screen placement, aspect ratio, and scale, we don’t need to do any of the normal configuring of RA when using an overlay.

After a little tweaking of the non-integer scale and bezel height + width, we have this.

We are also only rendering to a viewport that is 60% of the screen!

This enables the shader to run on fairly low-end hardware. I have had it running like a dream on a GTX 750 2GB.

Since this new method uses the BASIC-BORDER preset, it should provide even better performance than using the previous full shader.

My hope is that the auto placement by image will make it easier to use graphics that are not centered on the screen, and allow me to provide a more complete hybrid set of graphics.

Edit: I am committing to doing a set of Hybrid presets to support the Hybrid graphics.

6 Likes

This is awesome news. Such low demand easy to use presets is great for those of who keep low end hardware for emulation purpose and I know there is many of those people :wink:

2 Likes

Preset update. :grin:

TV6. (The HMV Ambassador 26)

I have been wanting to make this version available for months now.

Default.

Scaled.

This one has a custom screen reflection. I modeled a 4x3 sheet of dark glass using an HDRI environment and used the result for the reflection. I have included 3 different renderings in the Logo_Advanced folder. One of them is intended for this graphic in night mode.

I made sure it was subtle. You’ll only really see it when the screen goes dark.

There is also a phosphor layer that responds to the night mode, so it is darker when the lights are out. The phosphor layer, much like reality is not black but dark green, so has the effect of reducing the contrast of the screen. It is improved when the night mode is on. (Just like a real CRT. :grin:)

For the phosphor layer, I created a graphic,

then applied it using the Cabinet Glass Layer, placing it below the CRT, and used additive blending mode on the CRT layer. The same way the TRON example shows a backdrop behind the game screen.

Besides the vignette I used on the phosphor image, I am also using Dogway’s vignette, which works without dimming the screen.

This preset is really cool using night mode with the lights off!

9 Likes

Presets.zip has been updated. 44 presets have been added to the Advanced:

• ChannelF
  • Dreamcast
  • Famicom
  • Gamecube
  • Genesis
  • Genesis_Alt
  • Intellivision
  • MarkIII
  • N64
  • NES
  • NES_Alt
  • PC_Engine
  • PC_Engine_CD
  • PC-FX
  • Playstation
  • Playstation_Alt
  • Saturn
  • ScummVM
  • SEGA32X
  • SEGA32X_Alt
  • SEGACD
  • SEGACD_Alt
  • SEGACD32X
  • SEGACD32X_Alt
  • SG-1000
  • SG-1000_Alt
  • SMS
  • SMS_Alt
  • SNES
  • SNES_SGB
  • Super_Famicom
  • Super_Famicom_Alt
  • Super_Famicom_SGB
  • TurboGrafx_CD
  • TurboGrafx_CD_Alt
  • TurboGrafx16
  • TV1
  • TV2
  • TV4
  • ZX_Spectrum
  • ZX_Spectrum_Alt

Everyone of these really only benefited from the, (@Unparallell) scale-able Decal Layer and/or the masked LED layer. Both settings which @HyperspaceMadness (In his infinite wisdom. :grin:) enabled by default. All I had to do was change the shader reference and rename the Top Image Layer to the Decal Layer. A very few (e.g. ChannelF) didn’t benefit at all but I added them anyway. (Maybe I’ll add a vintage monitor or Decal later.)

7 Likes

Hi @Duimon, first of all I want to congratulate you on your work! such a beautiful and easily usable pack for all of us who like to enjoy this hobby but have (very) limited knowledge :nerd_face: (or that we have the time almost completely consumed by our babies :see_no_evil:)

I’m trying to load your graphics + shader presets and after reading the documentation I doubt if I should do steps 4 and 6 or if that steps are for those who want to create a preset from scratch:

1. Once it is working, make a small change in the parameters. (I usually change the “[BEZEL & FRAME COLOR] Color Value/Brightness - Def 10” from the default of 10 to 9.80. Save a shader core preset.

2. Navigate to the shader preset you saved in step #4. e.g. “D:\Games\RetroArch\shaders\presets\Beetle PSX HW\Beetle PSX HW.slangp”, and open it in a text editor. At the end of the file modify this line, to the path of my graphics. e.g. BackgroundImage = "BackgroundImage = “…\overlays\bezel\Logo\Playstation.png”.

If I copy your HSM-Reflection-Shader-Graphics from “Duimon\Logo” to the “Retroarch\overlays\bezel\Duimon\Logo” folder and after that I copy/unzipped the “Presets\Presets.zip” to “Retroarch” I can use them OTB by selecting them from the Retroarch -> shaders option like the presets from HSM? or is it mandatory to do the steps 4 and 6?

Sorry if it’s an obvious question :flushed:

@JuRaSSiCBoY Yes, you can just skip these parts it’s not mandatory. And yes, you can load Duimon’s presets just like HSM shader presets but of course, you have to have HSM shaders installed first which Duimon’s preset feeds on :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you!! I’ve been playing with them and with your answer I’ve seen everything much clearer now. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Duimon please can you take a look at SG-1000_Alt.slangp shader. It’s not working for me both in advanced and Standard. I’ve also noticed the PSP.slangp shader shows the graphics upside down :upside_down_face:

Will do.

Have you updated the PSP graphic? It has changed since the new shader release.

I’ll check the PSP preset also.

1 Like

The guide needs to be updated since the new shader release, and yes it is designed for creating presets from scratch.

2 Likes

The SG-1000_Alt had a bad path. It is fixed.

Presets are update with the x68000 Advanced. Some shots…

These advanced presets use the Bezel Image layer for my CZ-605D Monitor graphic. The Monitor LEDs are using the Decal Image in additive mode.

Since the new IBM graphics appear off center, (Even though they aren’t. :grin:) I have decided to include an alternate x68000 graphic that I did by request and never committed.

5 Likes

Another Advanced presets update. :grin:

The Amstrad CPC Duo with matching color variations on the CTM 644 Amstrad monitor.

These two use the Bezel Image Layer on top of the frame but using Frame+ masking mode so it doesn’t cover the Generated Bezel, and allows the Generated Frame to peek out from “behind”. (With some tweaking to the bezel color and the frame edge shading, I think it gives a nice beveled look.)

Tricky. :crazy_face:

Unlike the screen shots, the final presets scale the monitor to match the rest of the presets.

On a side note. This game looks much better presented here with cropping on all four sides to scale the game screen and fill the space.

Before cropping. :frowning_face:

(All thanks to @HyperspaceMadness incredible shader magic! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

4 Likes

Thank you!!! It’s my first use of your shader graphics so I think I don’t need to update it. The PSP Logo graphics seems OK at the overlay Logo folder. :thinking:

1 Like

Aww very kind, but really there wouldn’t be anything to show without great artists making this stuff :slight_smile:

The latest posts have been looking great :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Those Advanced presets looks amazing, great work there! :metal:

While you’re currently doing advanced presets, I’ve tracked down your standard presets to see how you referenced HSM shaders in order to create a basic preset with “MBZ__3__BASIC-BORDER-WITH-REFLECT.slangp” shader, so I can continue playing Chrono Cross for PSX in 2x internal core resolution with less demanding HSM shader along with your graphics :relieved:

The result end up looking like this, bezel hidden somewhere :rofl:

Is there a short way fixing it or should I be waiting basic presets to arrive :thinking:

Director’s cut version of my story:

My poor PC can’t handle advanced presets at all it keeps locking fps to 50 and audio begins to crackling :slightly_frowning_face:

Luckly it can handle Standart shaders but once I increase intrernal resolution above from 1x RetroArch crashes, probably due to high system demand. I was getting the same behavior with before HSM V 0.9.00 preset version anyway. So it isn’t something new to me :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hi, so the basic border presets specifically do not have a dynamically created bezel.

So the bezel needs to be part of the background image.

You can create something yourself as a workaround by loading the standard/advanced preset with a black screen loaded and take a snapshot and use this as the bg image.

1 Like

But that wouldn’t let me to use non-integer scale either, right?

Is it possible to copy paste the code/parameter lines from say, a standart preset to make dynamically created bezel for a basic preset?

I can only go to 2X myself. :frowning_face:

I am using one of my Retroarch Overlays as the background. (From my “Retroarch-Overlays” repo) setting the background image aspect to 16:9. changing the RA video aspect to 4:3, and the using one of the overlays from my “Overlay-Hybrid” folder as a standard Retroarch overlay.

I am using a separate RA install location for developing these and I suggest you make a copy of yours as a separate install also. (We will be messing with RA settings and it’s just easier/safer this way.)

I can upload the Playstation preset as an example, (It will be just a matter of changing the image path to create the rest.) but plan on figuring out how to do the RA content directory override for the overlay first, so I can include instructions.

1 Like