Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

@Duimon

Went back and did switch to 2560 x 1080. I did not see those settings in the Basic version, so I went to the Standard version and was able to replicate. I only got 40-45fps though so it was not really playable. I moved back to the basic version, and while I may have some black bars on the side, I managed full speed. It may just have to be the concession made to be able to play on a larger, external monitor vs. my 15" screen with my current laptop. I can live with that for now :grin: Thank you to you and to @Cyber for helping me try and get all that figured out!

3 Likes

Very soon, when the shader is updated, the Standard will perform as well as the current Basic, and have all the graphic related features of the Advanced. These wide screen scaling settings will my default where they are supported.

@HyperspaceMadness Has just a few more bugs to iron out.

3 Likes

Does 2560 x 1440 work? You can also try 1720 x 720 or 1280 x 720 as those are multiples of your vertical screen resolution so you should get perfect scaling just with black bars on the sides.

I’m glad you got something that works though!

https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nvdsp/To_create_custom_timings_for_your_HDTV_display.htm

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/custom-resolutions/

2 Likes

The Holiday season is back and I’m in the spirit! Thanks again for this wonderful shader!

5 Likes

Hi there, I have tested the Duimon Mega Bezel shaders with many versions of Retroarch, even the latest version (downloaded from retroarch website) in a fresh install but I simply cannot load these shaders… I’m on Win10 with a Ryzen 5700G and a GTX 1080 using Vulkan. It always shows “shader preset couldn’t be applied”. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

First of all. Do you have the Mega Bezel shader from @HyperspaceMadness installed and can you load one of the base presets?

Link to shader thread.

Make sure you follow his installation instructions carefully.

It is the HSM Mega Bezel Shader. :grin:

These are the Duimon Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets. I only take advantage of it’s features. :innocent:

@HyperspaceMadness is the wizard behind the magic.

If you do have it installed. Please post a log and He and I can help you sort it out.

5 Likes

Got it to work, thank you! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow! 2000 posts, 38,000 views, and 1091 clicks on my GitHub link. That’s amazing! :star_struck:

Looking back I would never have thought all that has happened since then would ever happen.

I have completed 89 graphics plus misc supporting graphics like monitors etc.

I have created overlay versions for almost every one.

I even created day and night no-curvature overlay versions by request on Discord.

I have created 1720 presets!

By request I have created EmulationStation Carbon theme controller graphics for newer systems.

I have lived and breathed this project for 551 days. If I spent only 2 hours a day that would be 1100 hours, but it has probably been more than 2000 hours. :exploding_head:

I can’t begin to tell you how great of an effect this project has had on my quality of life. It has been one of the most enjoyable journeys I have ever had.

Just the other day I fired up Batocera on my new Pi400, to continue my R&D on my intended overlay contributions. I fired up one of the homebrew SNES games to give it a whirl, and what do you know?

Doesn’t that look familiar? :grin: My graphics make up roughly 90% of the Batocera default overlays!! How cool is that? An operating system dedicated to emulation, distributed globally for dozens of hardware platforms!

Now that is cause for celebration.

Problem is…

I had nothing to do with it. :frowning_face:

Apparently this post…

One single post, by some curious brand new (And never heard from since.) user, was much more than just a simple question.

He has a GitHub repo with my graphics in it with not a single credit to my name, or link to my page, or anything else you might expect.

He didn’t fork my repo, which you might expect, since he is on GitHub.

2000 hours of hard, dedicated work, just so some damn poser could take my graphics and butcher and Frankenstein them to the point of embarrassment.

Given how active I am in the community and how generous I am with requests, I would think he might approach me and ask to collaborate.

Nope.

I had been planning for over a year to approach the Batocera team with my overlays. I even uploaded pre-built decorations to a repo for the son of a bitch. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

As much joy as this project has given me, this naked betrayal is causing me even more pain. It has been dominating my thoughts, my mood, and keeping me awake at night.

That my friends, is NOT quality of life. It is to the point that it is endangering my 27 years of sobriety.

It’s not just the betrayal, it is shame.

I wanted to do something different. I put my source online, unlike any other artist I have ever known.

I feel like a damn fool.

I am taking a break. I don’t know for how long. At least until next year.

I don’t want to keep my team hanging so I have uploaded my newest graphics, and my newest Advanced presets to a “New” folder in the Duimon-Mega-Bezel repo.

For now I have kept the current CC license and the source online. (Although I may make the source repos private.)

I have some new computer parts arriving soon for an upgrade, some new server parts for a second server, and I may paint my living room.

Take care.

9 Likes

I’m sincerely sorry that this happened to you, you’ve been such a joy to this community.

1 Like

Zion https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CIQTEEQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_ZJYMZB1RCZS8KF2MY2HX

Zion https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01CISX0A8/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_T34RXDN6MX91HNBFH51V

Brewsie https://open.spotify.com/track/6WM2yFscBWQTQXrxy0ngvn

Brewsie https://open.spotify.com/track/5n7Y0PcwsBNh1g9LscKsb2

@Duimon Do you want to know what all these songs have in common?

They use my backing track.

Do you know what else they have in common?

No where on any one of them are either my name nor sobriquet mentioned.

Guess what’s the third thing they have in common?

I haven’t gotten paid a cent for my work that is up for sale on someone else’s accounts.

So I can understand what you might be going through. I have spoken to the artist and as you can see nothing has been done about it. I really don’t have the energy, time nor resources to risk to pursue this at this time in any serious way. The good thing is I can keep making more and more music and I have! Great music!

You win some, you lose some in life even though we might prefer to win all the time. We live in a virtual jungle where people don’t share the same values and principles. We should expect anything from people and when things like this occur we shouldn’t be surprised.

At the end of the day your talent is your gift and no one can steal that from you. Don’t also allow anyone to steal your dreams. Also, no one can take you away from sobriety except you.

I don’t know you personally but I hope my words will have a positive impact on you and your situation. Now is the time when the best thing you can do is probably “man up” and resist the urge to be overly emotional about this. We all have different personalities and handle disappointment differently but I hope that you would be strong enough to remain grounded and relatively unfazed by this despite your obvious love, dedication and passion. Instead allow logic and reason to take control and fight the emotional knee jerk.

We are always responsible for our own happiness. So come on! We’re rooting for you! I’m sure you have many more supporters than detractors and doubters!

Take care of yourself buddy.

3 Likes

Duimon I just wanted to please the Batocera community and at no time sought any notoriety in your place. No one makes money in the story.

I repeat that I have publicly asked for your permission to use your work as a basis for Batocera bezels on 1 May 2021.

Hello Duimon ,

Is it possible that I use your bezels by adapting them for Batocera ?

Batocera is an open source retrogaming O.S like Retropie.

https://batocera.org/ 1

I thank you in advance, you do a fantastic job. bk

You have answered me publicly that I can use your graphics freely.

Here is your answer when I asked for your permission and showed you a modified bezel.

If you aren’t aware, I release standard Retroarch overlays of most of my graphics. (I use a bezel that is a clone of the shader generated bezel.

1280×720

I use them on Batocera myself. (On my ODROID XU4) I have a pre-configured decorations theme set up if you would like me to put it in my repo. (They are 1920 x1080 and include 43 systems. The included WonderSwan pair are from my previous raster graphics and will be updated when I add them to this collection.)

In any case, all my graphics are open source. You may use them, and the source, in any way you see fit. :grin:

Edit: I have added the decoration theme to my “Misc-Overlays-Borders-Bezels” repo, in a Batocera folder.

At no time did I do you any harm since I asked you beforehand if I could use your wor

A thief will never ask permission to steal from you.

I remind you that Batocera is free and I don’t earn any money from it.

What we should all be angry about is those who take the work of others for commercial purposes such as paid themes or hard drives or hardware (SMB, PC) sold at a premium with a retrogaming O.S. and roms and bios included.

@Duimon, thank you for all you have done for Retroarch and this community. You are a stellar pillar of this community, and your contributions have vastly improved the enjoyment I get (and undoubtedly many many others) when playing games in Retroarch. It tears at me that this has affected you in such ways. I fully understand your stance and actions, and wish you nothing but the best as you take this break.

2 Likes

A small token of regarding/crediting has a very soothing effect. I don’t see how this would degrade user experience. :wink:

5 Likes

Hi @mikael42,

So quoting @guest.r

I think is a very nice point.

@mikael42 I can see by your post that you appear to be defending yourself, I don’t say this to attack you or anything like that, but I find in situations like this it really helps to listen to the party who is feeling badly about an interaction to see how you may have contributed (perhaps accidentally) and how you can help resolve the problem so everyone can come out feeling better.

I’ve worked quite closely with @duimon on this project in the last couple of years, and his contributions have been PHENOMENAL. I think when content that you want to use comes from the creations of another person it is really courtesy to give some credit, and always appreciated by the authors regardless of the license.

In working with Duimon in the past it has been clear that he has been interested in working with others to help the best quality of the work be seen.

4 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness I think you and @guest.r both made this point come out much better than all the words I was trying to come up with without sounding like I was bashing him. :clap:

4 Likes

Sorry but at no time did I want to hurt Duimon or seek any form of notoriety on my part in his place he is the real and very talented artist.

But I just adapted his work to make it fit the display format that Batocera uses because your shader is not supported by this distribution.

I talked to him before and asked for his permission and I was totally transparent about what I was going to do with his work.

He gave me his permission to use it freely see his answer of May 1, 2021. If it was for my personal use, why should I ask for his permission, it would never be known.

In any case, all my graphics are open source. You may use them, and the source, in any way you see fit.

My Github was only used for online storage to avoid losing the modifications, I did not promote any of them. Besides, I’m a novice to use Github and I’m already having a hard time just to make a PR.

@mikael42 I think the main point of issue here is that while yes you can use them how you see fit, you gave no recognition / credit / reference to the creator of those files, which is a common courtesy and a show of respect to the creator

I’m not sure this truly clarified your intent to @Duimon , be it for personal, or to modify and re-distribute.

3 Likes

You’ve said all of this and this is all well and good. What are you going to do now? Is it too difficult for you to give recognition to @duimon in your distribution for the use of derivatives of his hard work? I mean is it that difficult for you to say thanks and include a credit for others to acknowledge @duimon 's excellent contribution?

I’m not going to await a response before saying this. Only a certain kind of person would have a problem doing what is being implied is the right thing to do here and trust me when I say, people like that never reach far in life or will ever be truly happy in the long run.

This is a teachable moment here, I hope you embrace it wholeheartedly.

You will be judged and remembered accordingly.

The problem was solved in Private Message with Duimon.

3 Likes

:exploding_head: You have not replied to me in my private message. What was solved? :rofl: