Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

It will always work but when the presets are setup intentionally (Like my most of mine.) the image aspect is maintained instead of stretched.

2 Likes

This Game Boy Monochrome green are so convincing. I Want it. I think it’s one of the best alternatives we have right now. Thanks @Duimon !

I wonder if it’s still worth, at some point, trying to port some default Retroarch shaders. Particularly, I’m in love with the default DMG and Pocket DMG.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :hugs:

11 Likes

Yeah one day we’ll get a DMG shader which looks as good or I’ll re-port the old one over again, I really like the original DMG look as well. I did port it, then it broke and was confusing to try to sort out what was broken because of the multiple passes it uses and some without obvious output as I remember.

7 Likes

@Duimon congratulations! @HyperspaceMadness great job man. I hope in the future you consider assembling a vector shader

5 Likes

It may be that some of those passes could be eliminated now that we have the multiply blending and the diffuse layer. Although that would make it a non-potato.

After all this time I think you might find it easier than you remember. :grin:

3 Likes

I was looking for a vintage monitor for the FM-7 and ran across one that looked a lot like a rebranded Amdek. So I modified my Amdek 310A.

At the same time I realized my FM-7 night mode LEDs were broken, so I fixed them. :grin:

I will add the monitor presets and the fix to the repo ASAP.

9 Likes

I have added the potato presets for the FM-7 and JAKKS to the repo.

For those of you doing custom color presets (@hgoda90 :wink:) I have added 4 new graphics to the repo.

• _Backgrounds/Dual_Bezel_Bezel2.png

• _Backgrounds/Dual_Bezel_Frame2.png

• PVM/PVM20_Bezel2.png

• PVM/TM20_Bezel2.png

They are bright yellow versions…

…and will make it easier to get some colors using the parameters. Simply change your image paths before you start making parameter changes.

3 Likes

I am thinking about releasing individual shader files for the color varieties as well. I am going to have to experiment a little with the new images to see what can be done with them.

1 Like

Bright Yellow is impossible to get if you start with a gray image. There might be some way to get there with some magic from @HyperspaceMadness but if you start adding too much brightness and saturation it just looks terrible.

Since we don’t have to start from gray I’m leaning towards not even asking him to do anything. (We can’t expect the shader to do ALL the heavy lifting.)

I will probably redo my USA Dreamcast set using these graphics, because a proper orange will be easier to produce. Otherwise I will just use them as they are needed.

On another note…

I have started creating TV7 based presets for Game cores.

I have also done Mr.Boom.

I created a 16x9 version of the graphic for these systems. (I just added some filler above and below the screen.) I will also be adding it to the TV presets for viewing 16x9 videos etc.

If a core supports both 4x3 and 16x9 aspect ratios I will do two sets of presets.

I am going to spend some time doing these and then I have some Batocera work to do.

I also finally received my Athlon 200G CPU so I can update my Ryzen BIOS to support my 5xxx CPU… so that will take some of my time too. :grin:

So much fun to be had!!! :partying_face:

7 Likes

Hey @Duimon,

Is this based on a Sharp Linytron? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck:

What about this OutRun Wide? :flushed:

2 Likes

I have no idea. :grin: My whole intent was to have a large enough LCD screen to show the name of the system, I didn’t have much else in mind. :innocent:

That is the CannonBall core. It’s pretty neat for Outrun fans but fairly limited. It would be cool to have a track editor or something.

3 Likes

I think it is. I’m no expert on the matter but I did see a picture of a Linytron and it reminded me of @Duimon’s WIP TV background!

Let me see if I can find it, I know I took a screenshot.

2 Likes

Nope. The button text is based off of an old telephone handset and everything else I did without referencing a single image.

2 Likes

Well that certainly can happen! Amazing!

Sorry for the incorrect assumption. I didn’t really think that you tried to recreate the Sharp Linytron you know, just thought that you might have been inspired or influenced by that style of set.

Very good work indeed. I have to give it a spin one of these days!

1 Like

I made the same mistake and assumption with the DS Graphic.

3 Likes

No worries. The main thing they have in common is the button and LCD placement.

The world is built for right handed people, the buttons and display on both of my microwaves are in the same place.

In a way, I guess you could say it is not very original. :grin:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s not very original. How many ways can you make an 8 or 9 segment Fluorescent or LED Display look and how many number buttons do you need on a set of that era anyway? If you came up with it in your head, it’s original even if by chance or coincidence people see an actual set after the fact that resembles or reminds them of your creation.

I just find the coincidence amazing. It’s actually a compliment and a testament to your knowledge of this field and your commitment to authenticity! Bravo!

On another note, life is so interesting. I said I would take a break from working on my presets and as a result of that, I made probably my best preset ever and my new favourite! If @soqueroeu didn’t insist, invite and request that he needed some testing and feedback I might have never made the little effort that was required to come up with something that I now like so much. This one has really taken me back to the '90s.

Just some interesting food for thought as to how coming out of your comfort zone once in a while can make such a difference in one’s life.

I like where most of my presets have reached right now. I would consider them to be in a mature state. I already have some updates, which I will probably consider variations as while they might be improvements subjectively, the current ones still do what they do very well so I think I’m going to keep them around for a bit.

2 Likes

With Duimon making his graphics customizable, it made me want to create the coloring of the variations of the actual systems. With soqueroeu TVs being the way they are by default made me want to crop them. Now I have a lot of preset/shader files to make and something to do.

2 Likes

The work you are doing @hgoda90 is in a way some of the most valuable. It shows people that they can use the shader to customize things and make them their own.

One of my fears is that people will use my presets and never realize the potential of the Mega Bezel framework.

The new TV7 style graphics don’t have a lot of freedom but the color of the bezel, background, and LCD can be changed.

And of course there is always the infinite CRT preferences that @Cyber helps illustrate.

The work you are doing, the work I have done, @HyperspaceMadness’s great effort, it all improves our own quality of life, as well as that of the users that take advantage of it.

That is something to celebrate! :partying_face:

6 Likes

Most definitely! I wholeheartedly agree! :clap: :partying_face:

3 Likes