Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Here is a WIP of the Apple IIe with the monochrome Apple Monitor II.

7 Likes

Here’s an update with tweaks to the CRT parameters… based on great video I found.

5 Likes

Looks lovely! :star_struck: I noticed that there are a few monitor type variations available through MAME’s Machine Config menu.

3 Likes

I don’t think they have very accurate color, so the Mega Bezel is a better way to go. For standard overlays (Batocera) maybe that is worth looking at.:grin:

3 Likes

I was messing around with the x68000 [Monitor] preset, using the method I used to create the alternate Macintosh IIx preset.

With the right parameters defined and adjusted I can replicate an alternate that was requested long ago.

This is just a rough hack ATM. :grin:

To do it right I need to add a Decal Image layer for what is now the background, and add a separate background image layer. Right now it does unexpected things when auto widescreen is activated (21:9 ratio.)

The same thing can be done with the X1.

7 Likes

With you eventually breaking down and making a table, and literal console graphics to go on the table/entertainment center :joy:

Inception screen, I heard you like TV’s so I put a TV on your TV.

3 Likes

The same method applied to my DOSBox [Monitor] preset.

I’m not sure I will actually do any of these, but it is cool that it can be accomplished in the shader alone.

6 Likes

LOL. It has actually been talked about… I don’t have any plans. :wink:

I do tend to think differently about the vintage computer stuff though. I like to give them a dose of reality.

2 Likes

This is really cool trick! Is it also possible to entirely move the system case off screen and just keep the monitor? If so, this would be really nice to use on other old PC systems that has no graphic.

We can usually use PVM’s or regular TV graphics for console systems but PC systems doesn’t have standalone monitor options. This trick in particular might come in handy in this regard.

2 Likes

That would be working way to hard. :grin: We can just turn the opacity of that layer down to 0.

Again… to be done correctly there would have to be some layer switching and a new background.

There are the 5150 presets.

6 Likes

Oops! How did I forget those :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I have been playing around with the new features and applying them to my vintage TV graphics.

These are now using the newer screen diffuse image and the brand new screen shadow. (Along with my custom rendered screen reflection image.)

I think it does a fair job of emulating a vintage CRT that is powered off. :grin:

As you would expect in RL things are different when the lights are dim.

11 Likes

Excellent work @Duimon! We are really spoiled when it comes to choice now!

3 Likes

New attempt at a default vintage TV interior reflection.

I think it looks spooky real. :grin:

13 Likes

Yeah, I find with the diffuse image the reflection image really helps sell it :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

I’m in the process of going for a new PC later this year. Still got a Vaio notebook from 2009 which don’t cut it for the brilliance seen in this thread. But I’m heavily into emulation and I’ve been going through the entire thread in the last few days, it’s been fun reading. I’ve seen the work done by Ars Invictus, know the name Orionsangel, and the reflection bezel from HSM is something to behold. Then there is the work done in this thread by Duimon, Akuma and maybe a few others. Really striking stuff. I was especially wowed by a wooden bezel posted in November 2000 by Duimon with the Mario All Stars title screen. It’s on page 628. Especially the nighttime version really allows the actual screen to pop like crazy. But you can still see all the details in the wooden television. Really amazing. Well done.

Just curious, everything posted in this thread is basically a really elaborate shader? Or is it still a combination of a shader with an overlay? I guess it’s probably both.

Finally, are all these goodies already available when one installs the latest Retroarch or do you still have to download it from this site and place them in the right Retroarch folder?

Thanks and keep it up.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for the kind words. :grin:

You were correct the with the first statement… It is a really elaborate shader… No overlay needed.

It will never be included in the RetroArch distribution… At ~1.7 GB It is just too large. :wink:

4 Likes

Hi, today I did some updates: i’m on the latest RA for windows and I finally updated HSM Megabezel and Duimon’s presets. I’ve been using Megabezels for a long while now (very happy with this project!) but I always left the arcades (mostly FbNeo nowdays) without any bezel, I was just using some simple shaders. Today I tried to use HSM & Duimon’s presets with fbneo: first I tried Strikers 1945 and using the STD preset with some small personalizations and a little viewport zoom to taste: the result and performance was very good! note that with Strikers 1945 I use 4 frames of run-ahead. than I wanted to try an horizontal game and I tried R-Type: it didn’t go very well, I couldn’t get full framerate ( r-type runs around 55 fps and a was getting around 50 with also audio problems), note that in r-type I have no run-ahead: I tried STD and Lite: no luck. to get fullspeed I had to use Potato :*(

Is it really a performance issue? is r-type that much heavier of a driver compared to Strikers (with 4 frames of run-ahead…)? I feel something else is going on…tomorrow I will try to do some more testing and trying some more games…

If you have any suggestions please let me know!

I’m on i5 6400 @2.7 GHz and 960gtx

2 Likes

The i5 gives me a little concern but I think that system should run without issues. Are you using a 4K display?

In the end the Mega Bezel has always had a fairly steep hardware requirement… just the blur on the reflection alone is costly.

The cache that @HyperspaceMadness built into the shader a while back has leveled the playing field a bit but it still requires some horsepower.

That being said I can run everything up to Dreamcast and Game Cube on an i7 4790S 3.2 GHz and GTX 960 at 1080.

Realistically, that is about a $350 system.

Once Intel starts rolling out Arc iGPUs , and the next generation of Ryzen Vega is available, I think it will be fairly inexpensive to get the Mega Bezel up and running.

My answer to the obvious question is… yes I think the Mega Bezel is worth a system upgrade. :grin:

More to the point. I will try R-Type on the aforementioned box and see how it runs.

3 Likes

Actually… the box with the GTX 960 is running an i7 920 @2.70 GHz.

I had absolutely no issues at all running R-Type with the ADV presets.

The i5 6400 has much better benchmarks than the i7 920 so I will assume you have other issues.

Do you have a multiple monitor setup?

1 Like