Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

My recommendation is to create a temporary fresh install of Retroarch. Anywhere. “E:\Retroarch-Temp” for example, and try from scratch to rule out any conflicts. It should only take a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Same mistake. I tried now on a clean installation of Retroarch and remains the same.

I will give up for a while. The fact is, even the original dual screen preset in the pack doesn’t work anymore.

1 Like

Ouch! Does any preset work?

1 Like

Hey everyone!

OCD pass complete!

I changed the height, shape, and color of the carved out bits, Made the round LEDs smaller, and changed the aspect of the eject LEDs.

PS2, x68000 and x68000 Expert are in the repo, along with RA versions.

@soqueroeu

The version of the x68000, with the towers on the left, will be in my “Misc-Overlays-Borders-Bezels” repo. It does not belong in this collection because it violates my third mission statement, that of cohesive style. I will also include a preset but I will probably not update it.

4 Likes

Going forward I will likely say no to most “style” related requests, especially ones that that would not fit in with this collection. That is what the source is for. Including source for graphics distribution is almost never heard of, please try and take advantage of this gesture.

I created this thread for feedback, and I need it. Quite a few of my graphics are better now than they would have been without it. Please, keep in mind my mission statements when providing feedback and remember… if I create it, I probably like it, so be gentle. :blush:

I have put hundreds of hours into this collection and will put in hundreds more. I am on a mission. There are many systems left to do, some very obscure which will be tricky to find source images for.

When this collection is complete, I don’t plan on going anywhere, I will still be around and looking for a project. Until that time I need to stay on task. After, who knows, I will be open to almost any request. :grin:

3 Likes

Yes, any other preset works, only NDS presets do not work. Not even what comes in the original pack. Strange, because it worked before…

1 Like

That is really odd. I believe you were editing the split preset before I made an NDS one. Have you made sure to use an original split preset when you started from scratch?

1 Like

I retraced all the steps and now it’s working. It took a long time to apply the shader, but it worked. Thanks!!!

Can you tell me which lines in the preset I can change in future packs, without losing compatibility with the presets I created myself? Because it takes a lot of work to have to recreate all the settings with each package update.

1 Like

Congratulations! I hope you learned a lot from this process.

For now there is no magic formula. Most of the incompatibility has nothing to do with images or common parameters.

Be patient. Soon there will be a simple shader preset and updating will be much different. Until then I would just try and do as little uncommon parameters as you can to make updating easier.

After the change, (Which is likely but I’m not sure if it’s certain.) I will post a couple of shots to help show how I am manually updating my presets.

1 Like

I am grateful! I hope for sure!

1 Like

In addition to using theses wonderful backgrounds, here I use the HSM Bezel pack combined with some overlays that I created myself.

To make the job easier, I keep Retroarch set to the standard video scale for most systems. So, I have a shader preset for overlays on the same scales.

When replacing the HSM Bezel pack with a newer one, I lose my settings. I would like to know why this happens, if in theory there is no (as you said) relation to common images and parameters. If you can explain I will be very grateful.

1 Like

I didn’t say there was no relation to common images and parameters, I said these are not usually the ones that keep old presets from loading.

This is not always true, if an image parameter name changes, say from NightImage to NightLightingImage, then it will probably not load. In general, as HSM has said, the longer a feature has been in the shader, the less likely it will change. Hense my “common” qualifyer.

Always remember that this shader is in the early beta stages, maybe we could even still say alpha stages, (It depends on the roadmap, and @HyperspaceMadness is a very brave and adventurous creator.) We take our own risk when we use software this early in the development, in this case we have to recreate our presets quite often. If anyone doesn’t want to deal with it then they can, (And I’m sure plenty do.) wait, watch, and learn, until the time the shader goes final.

For my part, I am committed to following the example set by the shader’s creator, and must strive to be equally brave. :grin:

2 Likes

I can’t really answer this question without knowing your method. When I create presets I load one of HSM’s, make a small change, and save the preset under a new name, or as a core, game, or content directory preset. For most of the presets I distribute, I create a BASE preset and then manually edit it. Some people edit his presets directly. I’m sure others have their own methods.

I have spent a lot of time using these shaders and am probably more familiar with them than most users. I know in advance which parameters I will use most often. This helps me make decisions when I create or update my presets. It will help me even more in the future. It is one of the reasons I am grateful for getting the chance, early on, to use these wonderful things. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@soqueroeu correctly pointed out that I was missing the “I” in the words JOY STICK in my x68000 graphics. In 9 out of 10 of my source graphics it appeared the word was abbreviated, it was not. :blush:

joystick

It has been corrected.

Please, everyone, don’t let my “Press Release” keep you from pointing these kinds of things out. That’s one of the reasons I created this thread.

Thanks again @soqueroeu!!

All source and graphics in the repo have been updated.

Thanks my Friend!

I hope I’m not being invasive. But I like to understand everything. That’s why I’m insisting here. I invite our friend @HyperspaceMadness to join the discussion. I’ll exemplify here:

For this specific case, my method is quite simple. First I start any game (NES for example). I go into the Retroarch video menu and make the basic video and alignment adjustments, which will be used for all systems operating in the 4: 3 ratio. To know the exact values ​​of the screen, I use any overlay among those I intend to use. I usually write scale values ​​on paper. What I have here are screen measures that I need. My overlays in this case, all have equal measures.

Then, I load any rom again and then, one of the HSM Bezel pack presets. After that, I make changes to the shader parameters to match the overlay I want to use. I make modifications only in frame + bezel + tube, without using any background from texture folder. I saved two versions of this preset and named them Global_Whit and Global_Black. Basically what changes between them is the frame color.

My background images will be my overlays, activated in the Retroarch options and not by the shader parameters. I use each of these presets according to the emulated system.

Then, I load one of these presets and then select a different overlay according to the emulated system. After making all the adjustments, I save presets to the roms folder. If the Core is exclusive, then I save a configuration per core as well. Lastly, I also save an override setting outside the shader menu.

Here my configs presets content:

Every time I start games from the same folder, the expected result will be the same for all of them. For each system, I will only have a different overlay. As in this example:

I chose to do this way because at this moment my hardware doesn’t perform well with the backgrounds “injected” by the shader itself. When I get a more powerful system, I intend to make full use of HSM Bezel’s features and all textures.

I can give you copies of my shader presets in a private message and you can analyze the files and perform the tests yourself. I believe that this will help to understand my doubt, which may be the same as others.

2 Likes

OK. I understand your method.

If all you are changing is those few parameters, I would copy the parameters from the preset to a text file. Then it will be easy enough to reference them for updates.

You should only have to save two presets, a core and a game. The relative paths should work for every system. Then just edit, rename, and move them around.

For now that may be as easy as it gets. :frowning_face:

HSM does understand that updating is a pain. You need to have patience my friend. He is working on this harder than you can imagine! (Much harder than you know!!)

Relax, take a mini vacation maybe, and watch the magic happen. :innocent:

2 Likes

Man, what shader and adjustment are you using in these Game Boy images?

By the way, what do you think about creating a vertical version of GB and GBC?

2 Likes

The shader is HSMs LCD Grid preset. The second one is using the built-in night image.

No adjustments other than position, size, frame opacity, and bezel width. I am using the top Image (A simple solid green image) masked to the screen (In parameters) to tint the screen.

The release of these is waiting on future shader features. I will have a preset and there will be RA Overlay versions as well. (I do night versions of all the RA Overlays also.)

Sometime in the far future I am hoping @HyperspaceMadness has mercy on me and includes a Game Boy shader preset as well. :wink:

2 Likes

I have thought about it. :wink:

2 Likes

Let me enjoy the subject … :wink:

In my opinion the dmg is the most faithful shader to the GameBoy. There are some versions of it, but I am referring to what is originally located in “Retroarch \ shaders \ shaders_slang \ handheld \ console-border”:

It has variations ranging from 2x to 6x. I was thinking of changing the parameters of this shader to allow it to rotate vertically. Additionally, I can use an overlay by the common Retroarch options, or even injected into the shader.

@Duimon and @HyperspaceMadness Can you help me by guiding which parameters I should change in the preset? Maybe it’s not that complicated, as this preset is very small.

Preset Content:

Please!

3 Likes