Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Hey everyone! I forgot to commit this to the repo. :blush: It is there now. :grin:

6 Likes

Fair Warning!!

I will be updating ALL the RA overlays in the repo with the new version of my bezel.

This includes the source.

For now, the hybrid graphics will remain the same.

I will wait 48 hours in case anyone wants to archive the current versions and source. :grin:

7 Likes

OK. RA overlays have been updated. There have been a couple of changes.

The PSD source files are now compressed to zip. They have multiple extensions so can be seen easily. i.e. *.psd.zip (Some of them were over 100MB and GitHub has a limit on filesize. :frowning_face:)

I have added a few that were missing. (TV3, 5 & 6. and the Genesis Megadrive alternate)

Also, with @HyperspaceMadness’ kind permission, I have added a Carbon Fiber overlay that mimics his default. :grin:

7 Likes

Here’s a new WIP.

Panasonic 3DO! :grin:

8 Likes

I made a small OCD pass on the 3DO. :innocent:

I lightened up the lower part of the body a bit, added a slight blur to the texture overlays, and tweaked the color of the text and little push bumps. :grin:

Full disclosure, the beveled texts are PS imports. (Mission statement #2)

7 Likes

I have often wondered why anyone would want to run Super Game Boy roms in an emulator.

I understand the appeal in reality, to play on a large screen with a controller, but why emulate?

I was curating a collection of GBC roms and kept running across “SGB Enhanced”, so I gave it a whirl. I had no idea that Nintendo was using “Borders” way back when. :exploding_head:

So… even though I’m running a little behind the pack.

I did a simple logo modification of my SNES graphic for SGB. :grin:

Edit: Didn’t want the Super Famicom getting upset.

I’ve curated a collection of 46 unique enhanced English roms. I am happy. :grin:

10 Likes

It’s in my plans for my cabinet to put this category of the GB games on sgb.

1 Like

@Duimon i have compiled a special mame build + mame core for retroarch with modification on a driver (pacman.cpp) for an animated bezel to have both 1P/2P blink like the video : Ms. Pacman (Animated) - MAME 0.227 i was thinking if it’s possible to have same result throw retroarch overlay (or it’s just a mame feature) ? ofc, i don’t know if you have the answer but i try :wink:

PS : for the moment, i have found a way to show mame bezel in the retroarch mame core with the help of the system folder…

1 Like

MAME has the ability to expose misc hardware components in the layouts, like LEDs, animated controls, (Joysticks, steering wheels etc.) among other things. The RA overlay system does not have this ability.

I believe some of the layout system has been implemented for just MAME, using only GL video drivers, but I am unfamiliar with the method.

The short answer is no, it’s not possible in RA overlays. :frowning_face:

1 Like

So in the same way, it’s not possible to put shaders on mame screen (the core) instead the whole screen (overlay loaded from mame core)… not easy to choose :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

It IS possible!!!

When the new version of RA is released, and the new version of the shader along with it, you will have a Gel layer that does exactly this.

In these shots I am actually using two layers, the Gel layer (Which has a low opacity and in these shots isn’t showing up in the reflection much. It would normally act like the graphic in your shot.) and another layer masked to the screen at 100% opacity.

In the shader this will be VERY easy to do. :grin:

Most (Not all.) of the new features in the next shader release are geared towards giving the shader tools that mimic MAME layouts. There is also a backdrop layer that can show up behind the game screen. The Gel layer can also be blended using “multiply” which will change a B&W game to a color one, or “Additive” which can be used to enhance existing colors.

@HyperspaceMadness has been working very hard to work all the bugs out and make the next release of the shader something very special. :star_struck:

6 Likes

Hey @oneshout we had some idea involving P-UAE core mastermind Sonninnos to implement a led interface for floppy/hdd/cd units activity and somewhat integrate it in HSM Mega Bezel.

As @Duimon said, it’s not possible with actual RA features, but I’m very curious to know how did you get the effect in your Ms. Pacman tech demo.

2 Likes

Yeah one thing I would like to get at some point is expose some arbitrary values from retroarch, like float values for led0, led1, led2 in the shading system, then we could drive some basic stuff in the shader.

@oneshout you are loading a layout in the mame core to get what we see here correct? So the layout stuff we see 8s drawn in the core image?

1 Like

Here’s a new WIP…

The Palm m515 (Mu Core).

This is pretty hard to get running but the author has a discord and it is in active development so… fingers crossed. :grin:

I have curated a TON of games for it so I will be watching closely.

3 Likes

Small OCD pass on the Palm. :innocent:

I worked on the LED a bit and changed the background. (Of course this can be replaced by the user in the new shader version.)

2 Likes

So… I didn’t like how the graffiti area stayed lit when the lights went out, so I created my own and used new shader magic to place & mask it.

I kept it enabled in the core (It can be disabled.) so the bezel would remain the same size.

Now it reacts to ambient light as it should. :grin:

3 Likes

BTW. Just to share a little about what my plans are. I am going to be working on some obscure systems…

• Fairchild Channel F
  • Elektronica BK-0010 / 0011
  • Sharp X1
  • Thomson M05 / M08

and some not so obscure…

• ColecoVision
  • Odessey 2 / Philips Videopac+ G7000

And then some handhelds…

• Bandai Wonderswan B&W and Color
  • NeoGeo Pocket & Color

I have decided that there are a few cores I will not do graphics for.

• PrBoom
  • Mr.Boom
  • CannonBall
  • and probably PICO-8.

I think for these, (With the possible exception of PICO-8) that my DOSBox graphic will be appropriate, or any of the TV graphics.

I may reconsider this decision after I am finished with the rest of the cores. :innocent:

Again, in deference to @TheNamec and his awesome, soon to be released Commodore package, they are at the very end of my list. (If I do them at all. :grin:)

4 Likes

I’ll need your C64 series C, C128, A1000, A2000 and A4000 macro details photographs sooner or later my friend :grin: can’t wait for next RetroArch to be out

1 Like

Did you make any kind of geneic arcade cabinet?

2 Likes

If you scroll up you’ll see that I did a Naomi. You’ll also see that it’s color will be customize-able.

I have not yet done a generic arcade. I do have plans to do one sometime in the future. :wink: When I do, it will also have the custom color parameter.

3 Likes