Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

With that being said, I am going to stop the conversation here.

In the end this is my thread and my project. There has been altogether too much pushing and not enough gratitude. To the point where part of me wants to just have @HyperspaceMadness just delete the last weeks worth of posts.

While I was addressing the screen artifact issue by implementing integer scale, I took the time to rework the screen gap, specifically to make you happy my friend.

Instead of thanks I get this.

I feel like an unwelcome guest in my own home.

I think I will be taking a break from all of this for a few days.

Emmm, not sure if I was the reason for your disappointment Still, if I was the reason (full or partial), please accept my apologies, I did not have any intentions of pushing someone, just an opinion sharing…

It is very unfortunate that the latest initiative encountered so many technical and design obstacles.

In the end despite the results I am grateful for all effort you have put into this.

Cheer Up!

Hi @Duimon,

this is really awesome. I’m a CRT collector and own several PVMs and BVMs. Lately I got back into emulation and playing on an LG CX OLED screen so I am very excited about this project.

Here are some ideas that sprung into my mind when I saw the PVM preset.

You could try to create a bezel based on the BVM D32 or BVM D24 so that there would be no need for the artificial speaker grills on the sides of the current PVM. They are 16:9 screens so when using 4:3 content one would have black bars on the sides.

Sony PVMs and BVMs are Trinitrons and Trinitrons just have a horizontal curvature so to be more close to the original this should be considered.

I’m really looking forward to this project. Do you have a Patreon?

2 Likes

Beginning of PSA.

Hey everyone. I have something to say. :innocent:

I started this project for only one reason. To give @HyperspaceMadness shader, graphics that live up to it’s excellence, and his tireless work. After spending some time frequenting his thread and posting some of my early work, (Primarily reworking some of @Orionsangel’s work.) I was incredibly impressed with the community, feedback, and HSM’s generosity and willingness. So impressed that I thought I would dust off my fairly rusty skills at vector art and give some original work a shot.

• I chose vector, even though it’s much, much tougher to do that raster, so it would be scalable and future proof.

I had such good feedback and response I decided to find way of distributing them. I release my source in addition to the graphics because from my experience, it was always something I wished artists would do. I have still never seen another artist do this. I wanted to have a “First” of my own to measure up to @HyperspaceMadness’s “First” with his shader.

• My graphics are all open source, I don’t require credit for use or expect it.

I am doing presets, not because the graphics require them, but because some members were having a tough time getting things up and running. I wanted it to be easy. Once again, I was following HSM’s example. His main motivation for the shader, at it’s inception, was to take away the normal difficulty of setting up overlays and make it “easy”.

This thread is for Feedback and Updates.

Going forward let me state once again that if I post a WIP, I like it and am proud of it. This project contributes greatly to my quality of life. In order to keep things that way, I thought I might lay out a few ground rules.

1. Be gentle and considerate in your feedback.

2. Keep your feedback constructive, major design modifications are reserved for the requester, if one exists. (The source is always available.) There is only one exception to this rule: my “Art Director” can make any suggestion they see fit.

3. If you are making a request, limit it to one at a time. This is especially important now that the list of remaining graphics is growing short.

4. If you are making a request, phrase it as one. I am not under the direction of the community. (The use of the word “Please” goes a long way.)

5. Please. :-) Try to keep the discussion on topic. Although I am very familiar with the shader, technical questions really belong in HSM’s thread. (A link to his thread is at the top of this one.)

6. Have some fun! (Play some games in Night Mode.)

In the end my works are a gift. If you don’t like the gift it then, by all means, don’t accept it. This is just one small corner of a large world of available options.

End of PSA.

10 Likes

This would kind of defeat the whole idea of the shader and overlays in general. :grin:

There really is no need for them now. I only did it to accommodate my existing graphics as a background and give a cohesive style. (Mission statement #4.)

I will be releasing a version without the speakers to accommodate other backgrounds.

I like the idea of the BVM D32, especially with the BKM-10R Monitor remote to add some bling. I may do it for some wide screen console love, (Like the Wii.) I may even design realistic Wii to lay beside the remote

I plan on doing a few more for the set. Do you have any favorite 4x3 aspect models? (The more knobs and buttons the merrier.)

1 Like

Favourite set would be the BVM 20F1E when it comes to 240p. Sadly not that many buttons since they are all on the remote. Here one could think of either putting the remote on the top of the screen or make a version of it with the suitable mount kit. Otherwise there is the PVM 20L4 or 20L5 (the latter never released here in Germany) that has the controls on the left and the right side of the screen in the forms of buttons that light up when activated. Could be a cool eye candy for a theme.

A similar glow up button control can be fond on the PVM2950 which is a set that looks more like a consumer set.

For variation there are also the MD versions of PVMs which had white / grey housings which would also look nice as a bezel.

Another PVM that has lots of knobs and buttons, is shadow mask and therefore has horizontal and vertical curvature is the Ikegami TM20-17R. The current bezels reminded me of it since it has a very deep bezel.

Also maybe some love can be given to the tally light on the top of the bezels that can light up when the screen is in use.

My personal go to set is the Bang and Olufsen Beocenter 1 since I love the design and the image quality is very good for a consumer set. There is also the Bang and Olufsen MX8000 that is a 29" with a very simple design language.

There is a huge community around CRTs on Reddit and FB. Maybe there could be some collaboration between these enthusiasts that know every detail about their cathode ray babies although many of them would call emulation, shaders and bezels Blasphemy :slight_smile:

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/

Here is a picture of some of my CRTs.

3 Likes

@Duimon I have been playing the Vectrex and it is wonderful what you have done, it looks great, the flickers hurt but that is a thing of the original hardware, by the way I did not know that it was so small.

PS: I love the Scramble and the Berzerk :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :blush:

2 Likes

So that’s what a crt flex looks like, huh. well I’m jealous lol.

@faxesystem

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

I am definitely doing the Ikegami TM20-17RA. :grin:

ikegami-20-color-video-broadcast-crt-monitor-tm20-17ra-12.35__84638.1489977082

Love the LEDs for night mode, and with the handles on the side the aspect is probably perfect.

The BVM 20F1E without the remote is also just about perfect, with some extra width on the bezel sides to balance out the added height of the frame. (Although I may have to take a few liberties.)

Golden stuff sir! :grin:

Speaking of CRTs. Have you seen this project of mine?

2 Likes

Can you maybe get me a shot of one that is lit?

1 Like

Here is a more serious attempt at the 3DS WIP, with integer scale.

Eliminating the black line at the screen edge and decreasing the bezel height and width gave just enough room for the screens. (After some serious surgery on the hinge.)

While it will never live up to close inspection, there is enough right about it to trick the mind into not seeing the wrong. I like it. :grin:

Some final tweaking will have to wait until @HyperspaceMadness blesses us with a new 3DS preset.

Here is a glance at the first WIP of the Horizontal graphic.

Obviously this, (Like the NDS horizontal.) is just representational. The left screen uses integer scaling. (The right is independent.)

Since the screen size for both of these is pretty much set in stone, I can do some fine tuning on the the surrounding details in the graphics.

I am open to suggestions on what to do with the controls on the right. (Keeping them all, deleting some etc.) I would even consider centering the screen if someone thought it might be attractive.

I would also like to have a logo somewhere on the horizontal.

9 Likes

I’m really liking these 3DS graphics, getting the integer scaling going on the vertical is a win for me. The hinge looks good too, not something you’re going to immediately notice as different. I always thought the 3DS XL was a good looking console and this is doing it justice.

For the horizontal, maybe you could move the controls a little tighter and center them a little more, leaving room above for a logo. I’m not a design expert by any means, just food for thought.

Appreciate the update and you’re on the right track with these!

3 Likes

Yay! That 3DS shapes up really well.

I am very impressed how quickly you manage to get those ready)))

Thank you!

3 Likes

It’s already looks amazing :star_struck:

As for suggestions, I liked the regular NDS horizontal graphic a lot where it has contol buttons on bottom.

I think having control buttons on screen is a good reference point when game ask you to push some certain button to proceed :upside_down_face: This is a real deal especially when you have RA setup for a dozen of system where every system has its own controller scheme. Basically let’s say it’s a pretty good qol feature to have controller buttons on the graphic :relaxed:

7 Likes

This is the tally light of the TM20-17R it‘s a bit different to the ones in the Sony PVMs. Sadly I‘m not at my place where my BVM/PVM are but if needed I can provide you with plenty of images of the TM20-17R since I have this set up.

6 Likes

Thank you! These shots, coupled with some close up shots I have found and i think I have just what I need. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Here’s what I decided on the 3DS.

I thought moving the small screen up would set it apart from the Big/Small emulator default.

I also took the time to fine tune the built-in bezels. :grin: In all likelihood I will have to change it again. I have my doubts about the aspect of the small screen. :innocent:

I am looking forward to playing some games on this once the fixed preset is released. :smile:

6 Likes

I like it vertically and horizontally, I like that you give options for all that is very good.

3 Likes

It’s glorious!

I hope Timo (the original creator) himself saw this!

BTW, you missed the START button:

1 Like

Nope, didn’t miss it, I just put it on top instead of the face.:grin:

I don’t know about the creator, but the forum community has been very encouraging.

2 Likes