Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

If you don’t mind I wouldn’t mind making some systems with front plugins, I would always name them with the system name followed by _Alt so that in the future your shader is the first choice.

I hadn’t planned on doing it, I just wanted to make some systems that you didn’t want for obvious reasons like the 64DD or the Famicom disk system, but after finishing the arcade I wouldn’t mind doing it.

1 Like

I certainly don’t mind. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you ever take the time to read my whole thread you’ll see that I rarely mention a system… and then don’t do a graphic for it. (Even if I say I don’t plan on it.)

I think it is my latent OCD.

This is not now, nor will it ever be, a competition. If it were I wouldn’t release my source.

I don’t think it matters how you name your graphics or presets, as long as you don’t plan on storing them in the same folders I store mine in. (I strongly encourage you to NOT do so.)

I don’t know if you are using any references to my presets but if you are, I recommend that you resolve those references to HSM’s base presets. Although it is a derivative of my work, (Of a sort.) I think it would be best to insure it doesn’t require downloading any of my repo.

3 Likes

More than competition, what I do not want is to step on your work, competition I cannot do since the material is yours, I like your work so much that I only modify it so that there are even more options.

I have my shaders in different folders but they are inside Graphics, that is, it would look like this, Duimon-Mega-Bezel> Graphics> Mame Comp (For arcade companies) and with the presets it would be the same.

You say to put it out of the Duimon-Mega-Bezel folder? If so, no problem, but it will delay me a lot, I don’t know what name I would give the folder, since the material is yours.

I take this opportunity to leave the one that I have made of mega CD, I’m sure I can improve it.

2 Likes

That’s the thing. I am the author but the source is open, the material is free for anyone to use.

Here’s an example. I have done keyboard keys for computers. If someone else wants to cut my Illustrator source and paste it into a project they are working on, they can do it freely without crediting me. Nothing would make me happier.

It was certainly not my intention that anyone using my source would place their graphics in a folder called “Duimon-Mega-Bezel”.

What if I decide to rename my folder sometime for some unknown good reason? Would we need two Duimon folders?

What if someone just wants the arcade stuff and doesn’t want any of my graphics? There are many reasons.

How about “akuma22_presets”?

Please don’t worry about not using my name somewhere. Part of my mission is to do something different, something most artists have a hard time doing… giving people access to my source. It is very important to me.

edit: If using search and replace tools to change existing paths is something you are not familiar with or if you need any help editing and organizing your presets, I would be glad to lend some assistance. I have had a fair bit of practice. :grin:

2 Likes

I had not thought about it until today, I do not like having to make a folder for my shaders but it is the most reasonable and the most practical, otherwise conflicts could be created in the future if you want to change something, it is understandable .

I will call it Akuma_presets to make it easier, it will be a delay but it will not be that much either.

It will also be an extension of your work, I will put a txt inside the folder making it clear that it is your material. :+1: :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you for understanding and again… Thank you very much for making these graphics. It makes me very happy that someone is taking advantage of my source. :grin:

(And doing such wonderful work also. :wink:)

2 Likes

So I found a really good source image for the Virtual Boy and made an OCD pass.

There were some optical illusions due to inaccurate shading in the source. It was making holes look like solid objects and vice-versa. (It was kind of “escher-esk”.) That has been fixed. There were also some blatant scaling problems that were just too bad to be ignored. :innocent:

I also added some details that were missing and changed the Nintendo logo to more accurately reflect the original. (At the same time there were some missing details that I chose to ignore.)

Of course, since the original had two lenses instead of a single large screen, it will never be perfect. (Or does that mean it can’t be imperfect. :thinking:)

As difficult as this graphic was to create, it wasn’t as difficult as I imagined. I think I am at a point where I am willing to attempt just about anything, without fear. :grin:

Maybe someday I will become as fearless as @HyperspaceMadness.

7 Likes

I have updated my repo to be compatible with the latest shader release. If you have any presets that reference mine they will still work, but you MUST update to the new shader release.

This means that Mega Bezel v0.9.019 2021-06-23 is required.

While I was spending time up to my elbows in a text editor, I added the missing presets to the most recent graphics. They are now complete.

Virtual Boy has been added to the repo. :grin:

I also updated the overlays so they are in line with the shader graphics.

All the hybrid backgrounds and overlays are also updated. (I still plan to do some additional presets and override configs for these, I am concentrating on RA core graphics ATM.)

@krutomisi I added all the generic TV graphics, including vertical, to the No Curvature overlays. I also created night versions of the whole set.

While I was working with the overlays I noticed that some are still using the old version of my bezel. When I have time I will go through and fix them.

That was fun! :wink:

Atari 800 and XE are next on the list!

10 Likes

I understand that the black and red palette gives a touch of realism because the system was like that, but it is highly recommended to change the palette in the emulator and put the black and gray to avoid being blind or without eyes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I don’t know. I think with some carefull attention to gamma, glow, bloom, and GTU you can get a red that is pretty easy on the eyes.

We have a lot more control, within the shader parameters, than just what the core palettes can give us.

That’s one reason I chose to use Guest instead of LCD-GRID in my preset.

7 Likes

This graphic looks really awesome :star_struck:

Time to play some Virtual Boy! :smiley:

5 Likes

perfect thank you so much @akuma great front loading and thx for other stuffs!

2 Likes

Why the background image is upside down?

I noticed that for some of them too. I just flip it in the shader parameters. I think that happens sometimes if you use opengl.

I use vulkan…… :颠倒脸:

Cores that use hardware rendering will flip the viewport. @HyperspaceMadness has compensated for this so if you switch to opengl it will mess things up. There are independent parameters to fix it.

Are you using one of my presets?

1 Like

Yes, you are using your latest preset, PSP and PS2 have problems, HSM_FLIP_VIEWPORT_VERTICAL = “1.000000” delete or comment out it is ok

1 Like

They work fine on my end. @HyperspaceMadness can you check on your end please.

@kongmao45678 what version of Retroarch are you using. 1.9.1 or a nightly?

Are you using the !Play core for PS2 or PCSX2?

PCSX2 doesn’t work on Vulkan so I am questioning which driver you are actually using.

In any case, the best thing to do would be to change the parameter in the shader dialog and save a core preset. This way you’re changes would survive an update. (As opposed to manually editing my preset.)

After this setting, it is normal. It should be a problem with the preset file.

Hi @kongmao45678 looking at your screenshot you are using the mesen core which is for NES. The PSP was set up by default for the psp emulator which does the screen flipping thing.

Mesen requires no screen flipping so this feature can be turned off.

Like Duimon said the best thing to do here is to load his preset, make the parameter change, then save a simple preset by going to Save, and making sure Simple Presets is set to ON