Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Yeah I think what @Duimon was saying is that he’s running a 1080 screen so can’t output a 4k snapshot from Retroarch, so he needs people to load up the preset and take a look at it.

@Duimon, I think you can set your video aspect ratio to custom and put in 3840x2160 and try to take a snapshot like that.

Anyway if you can wait, I can load it up and take a look at it tonight :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Exactly. I don’t have any idea why @Syh had difficulty reading the logo on one but not the other. They are both 1080p screenshots.

I think, my friend, you misunderstand. :wink:

All my graphics have actually been scaled “down” to 4K. They are exported from Illustrator at greater than 8K. When/if there is ever a need I can generate an 8K set of everything without having to edit a single source. :innocent:

I have nothing but time sir, thank you. I only went ahead and did the one graphic now just to have this conversation. I didn’t plan to schedule any Vectrex overlay stuff for months, it was intended to be a separate future project. :grin:

2 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness

When you take a look at this, keep in mind that this was the most difficult overlay to create. Most of the others will actually be relatively easy to do. (With a couple of exceptions.) The existing overlays are already 1080p at 300dpi.

I am just thinking that it may not be worth the effort.

There are several custom overlays I added to the set that I will need to redo in any case, (Frogger, Patriots, Patriots 3, Vectrexians, Vectrace. etc.) they are only at 72dpi and were done in Photoshop. I can do better.

2 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness

Just to be thorough, I added another test preset, “Armor…Attack (World) TEST [Scaled] Full Size Overlay.slangp” this one uses an export from Illustrator that has no final Gaussian blur and is NOT resized so is 4500 pixels tall. We can let RA do the scaling and see if it makes a difference

2 Likes

Ok here are my results!

The TEST versions which are the ones which are 4k (2160 tall) look good and quite sharp. There is not much difference between the Test [Scaled] and Test [Scaled] Full Size Overlay

The difference between the normal and text is bit blurry and in some cases even pixelly :frowning:

Here are some snaps from the [Scaled] presets on the left is the normal and on the right is the 4K one, so it’s really the difference between something that looks a bit computery and a bit blurry and something that looks like a sharp decal, I also noticed a difference with the sharpness of the text, so I think it really looks a lot better with the cleanup you did. There is a visible difference in clarity looking at it in use on my 4K 27" screen.

image vs image

I put up the PNGs I grabbed here: Vectrex_ArmoredAttack.zip

I’ll probably keep them there for a few days then they will poof! disappear :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you. If there is a visible difference in clarity on a 4K 27" screen then it will be glaringly apparent on something larger.

For cleanup I actually did some level adjusting and separated the black parts of the background. Then I used “Image Trace” in Illustrator. From your shots it seems it worked really well. I used a half-tone generator plugin to re-create the green elements, after creating the basic rectangles. While it isn’t accurate to the original it is very clean.

Of course everything else I created manually.

I used a .5 pixel Gaussian Blur on the other graphics. I am not surprised that linear or bi-linear filtering produces the same look when RA scales it.

It seems it will be worth the trouble after all. :crazy_face: I will keep the project on the future calendar.

3 Likes

Hey everyone… here’s a new WIP.

The Sharp X1 Twin! :crazy_face:

I wanted this to heavily reflect the X68000 since I am sure Sharp reused some of these components for the next generation, so I used as many assets as I could from the X68000. (Joystick ports, volume knob, keyboard jack, round LEDs, and pad port.) I even used the power switch from my X68000 monitor.

I did modify some parts a bit but I tried to keep it minimal. It is funny, even though they used the same parts, the devices that use the ports don’t correlate.

I must have the scale just about perfect because I didn’t have to resize anything after I imported them, except for the the power switch.

There is a lot going on with this system, it is very sexy! :grin:

I will probably use the Sharp monitor in some presets but I am thinking that I may want to do some work on it first, some things are bugging me. (I have done a bunch of monitors since then and I think my tastes have changed. :innocent:)

The Sharp X1 Twin could be put in “Game” mode and run PC Engine games using a HuCard. (Which explains the HE System logo next to the card slot.) This means that we can use this as an alternate preset for PC Engine games.

14 Likes

Shit!!! I was expecting the red version and this one is much better, it is excellent, incredible detail of the ports and buttons, I have never seen this version of the X1, I am impressed.

As always excellent work :+1: :+1: :raised_hands: :raised_hands: :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you! I gave up on the red X1 a long time ago in favor of this model. I’m glad you like it.

Here is another WIP.

I made an OCD pass. I did a lot of work on the Hu Card slot, tweaked the volume button a bit, lightened up some too bright highlights, tweaked the port shrouds so they matched, changed the shading on the carve-out for the power button, and some other stuff I forget. :innocent:

This graphic was quite troublesome to get started. I needed to Frankenstein together four images and a video snapshot to get a decent resolution template.

Crazy. :crazy_face:

Of course, a lot of the work on the ports was done way back when I did the X68000.

10 Likes

Crazy, but it was worth it, it turned out very well and has a lot of details.

I have looked for information and it turns out that it had a pc engine inside the cabinet, I thought it emulated it or something like that, I did not know this version of the system, very interesting, another option to use with a pc engine.

I thought about making a version with the red model but in the end I gave up, it doesn’t make sense, this version is perfect.

1 Like

To quote George Takei: “Oh myyy.”

That looks awesome!

I just started playing around with X1 games, so this is perfect timing.

3 Likes

Here’s a shot with the Sharp CZ-605D monitor.

I am going rework this monitor graphic. I think most of the curvature is an optical illusion due to camera perspective. The front of the monitor is convex (Or spherical to put it another way.) so with the wrong FOV the sides look curved. Most of the isometric shots of it show the side edge is perfectly flat.

I am going to square it up and bevel the edges a bit.

5 Likes

Congratulations to @TheNamec on the release of his Commodore Pack RC1! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Get this while it is hot!!! (Like he said. :upside_down_face:)

(Flawless execution and presentation can be expected. :grin:)

5 Likes

I used a Photoshop bulge modifier on this to test what it might look like without the curvature.

I like it! I will move forward on the redo.

While I am in there I will do an alternate version with gold text and an orange power button to match the X1.

I am also planning an alternate X1 with the game button pushed in, the Game LED on and the Timer LED off. (I may insert a Hu Card.)

3 Likes

Hey guys,

For the FM TOWNS, which core are you using ?

1 Like

It’s MAME - Current core version (0.232). No specific core dedicated for FM Towns unfortunately and you have to set up MAME to run FM Towns games.

2 Likes

Here is a WIP on the new Monitor design…

…and the Alt for the X1.

So far so good. I think it is almost done.

I did away with the grain I had been using. I am going to do away with the grain in the x68000 graphics also. The main reason is that my old method was VERY resource intensive, and I no longer like the way it looks. If I reintroduce grain I will use my new method.

I will probably go back and redo the grain for all my older graphics as well. While I am doing that to the ZX Spectrum I may add a full keyboard, since it turns out that I like how they look.

9 Likes

OK. Here is a shot of the monitor version for running PC Engine games.

The “Game” button is depressed, the Game LED is on and the Timer LED off. There is also a PC Engine Hu Card in the slot. :grin:

Now I need to complete the presets. While I am at it I will be reworking the X68000 presets, renaming some and adding monitor presets to the Standard and bezel presets to the Advanced, (To bring them in line with the other monitor presets.)

I am also going to do the some work on the X68000 graphics as I threatened, along with changing the grain I will be redoing some other bits with the improvements from this latest adventure.

@TheNamec

If you are looking for feedback, I can’t say enough good things about RC1.

The well thought out organization is inspiring.

In fact it is exactly that. I will be adding in Basic and Basic with Reflection presets in my own distribution, and reorganizing my folders to reflect the base presets. Thank you so very much for setting the bar so high! :star_struck:

7 Likes

It would be awesome if someone would be able to make a core from the Tsugaru emulator for FM-Towns. It seems to run pretty good. I still haven’t tried MAME for FM-Towns emulation, though. http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/FM/towns/Tsugaru/e.html

1 Like

There are a couple of problems with that emulator, it won’t let you put it in full screen and the game format is .BIN .CUE, not to mention that once you launch it you have to tell it where the roms are (not games, bios) system, you must also run the machine and then run the game.

For the rest, it is a good emulator although it is not at the level of the UNZ, maybe if it was updated more and solved some problems such as the resolution and the full screen if it would be worth making a core.

1 Like