Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Ah, might have answered by own question by reading further up the thread…note to self - do that first before asking!! :grin:

@movisman Glad you approve, it was a pleasure! I would probably have done this model anyway since it IS the classic. :grin:

Funny thing that you ask about the reflection because that is what this thread/project is all about… graphics for @HyperspaceMadness’ Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

The RA Overlay versions are just a bonus for people that don’t have beefy enough hardware for the shader… (I use them myself on my HTPC and Android devices.)

On a different note. What do you guys think of this WIP?

There is a little bit of everything going on here…

First, we are using a tilted bezel thanks to the 3D bezel in the latest release. (Which I have been waiting eagerly for.)

Second, there is a glass reflection over the cabinet bezel using a TopLayerImage. (Temporary “quick & dirty” version for this WIP until I make one I like better.)

Finally, I am using an RA Overlay to layer the joysticks over the glass reflection.

I have been planning for a long time to use as many shader features as I can on my MAME graphic. I like this so far.

6 Likes

I liked. But there is a not tilted version?

@Duimon

Agreed, it looks really great! Very stylish and less is more works for sure.

Yeah my bad that, bit of brain fade. I thought that screenshot was using the RA overlay, and I was curious if that reflection was an overlay transparency effect or not.

It’s really nice to look at, love it. The tile looks lovely, especially with this quality shader. In my situation obviously I can’t use because i’m restricted to RA overlay and more simple shaders, and i’d probably want to use a non-tilted version long term but I do really like it.

Another WIP…

I still haven’t come up with a glass texture I like, so I left it out for now. (I may leave it out all together so I can use the TopLayerImage for the joysticks and skip the RA Overlay trouble.)

I also increased the bezel size so the joysticks cover part of it. I may change their height and position so that at least one will cover part of the inner bezel and reflection in both horizontal and vertical orientation. (I think the joysticks over the bezel add a lot of depth. :slightly_smiling_face:)

The question I have is about the T-molding. In this version they are bright blue… almost like they are emitting light… not at all natural, but more interesting.

Any thoughts?

5 Likes

My main complaint is honestly the t-molding, it reminds me of painters tape but neon. The issue isn’t the color, it’s more that t-molding (at least everytime I’ve seen it) has a raised center tampering down to the sides, kinda like a pipe. (If that makes sense, to both the left and right side of center it should have gradients towards the edge to center, with center being the highest point.)

You have so much depth everywhere else that it seems odd, tbh. Basically want I’m complaining about is t-molding should be slightly rounded lol.

The balltops having being lit like the buttons could be nice. Maybe less bright though, as balltops diffuse light more than the buttons do normally. (So lit balltops but dimmer.)

2 Likes

This is looking great! Nice ambience with the glowing MAME logo and the tilt adds a nice touch!

Yeah I think the sides are too bright and create a bit of distraction from the center, right now it feels like they pull the eye from center. I think if they could look glowy but not bright this might work.

The glowy balltop might work but there’s probably a balance between how bright they could be without being distracting. I actually think the joysticks look good as is as well. They are foreground elements but don’t distract

1 Like

Thanks for your input guys! I’ll try some of your ideas. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

OK! I lit the balltops and I think I like it…

I also did as I threatened and moved the joysticks so the tops cover the inner bezel. It adds the dimension I was hoping for.

@Syh

Some things are almost impossible in vector. :frowning_face: Simply putting a gradient (Or inner shadow to simulate one.) on the T-molding looks absolutely wrong next to the gradient I used on the cabinet sides to produce the glare from the logos. There might be an artist who could do it, but it’s beyond me right now… maybe after all this is done I will have gained enough knowledge. :wink: A few weeks ago this graphic was out of my reach.

If it was a 3D rendering it would be easy because there would be no simulation.

We’ll just have to assume it’s a high-end cabinet that uses laminated edges instead of t-molding. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Hey everybody! I have been working on getting the ZX Spectrum 4K Vertical done and I have noticed that most logo examples in the wild have the blue in the rainbow as cyan and not the royal blue I chose for the above graphic.

Can I get an expert opinion?

old…

ZX1

new…

ZX2

2 Likes

While I’m waiting… here’s what I have.

or this… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Just need help to decide which is the correct blue. Once I determine that I will change it in the regular graphics and they can go to the repo. :grin:

2 Likes

I kinda prefer the first even though I normally love symmetrical things.

Definitely the first man.

1 Like

snuck in a change while you were typing. lol

1 Like

Not a fan of the blue speakers tbh.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m just messing around a bit. Maybe the blue sides are enough. I wanted some of the keyboard color somewhere. The angled rainbow is definitely more authentic.

1 Like

Could you try the marquee bezels?

Yeah I prefer the diagonal rainbow the best.

Vertical stripes are something you see all the time, diagonal stripes are more uncommon imo, it’s more eye catching.

If I saw a cab the vertical stripes I’d glace at it real quick, if I saw them diagonals I’d be like “hmm what is this” and go check it out lol.

1 Like

Just tried the marquees and it started looking a lot like the inferior Gamecube version. :frowning_face:

I think I’ll just keep the first version. :grin:

1 Like

Can I see the diagonals with the blue speakers just because lol.

@Syh

I just got a definitive answer about the blue on applecolors.com. I found hex color values for all four colors. This is supposed to be accurate.

And I think I like the blue. :wink:

3 Likes