"Failed to apply shader preset"

I get this message when trying to apply the shader preset “crt-royale-sony_bvm”. Does anyone know what is going on or how to fix that?

That’s a generic error, which could have a lot of different causes. We’d need to see a full log to know what the actual problem could be.

Could you explain what you mean with a full log? I took a look here: https://docs.libretro.com/guides/generating-retroarch-logs/

I tried to generate a log using the method described under “Generating Logs via Menu” but there is no explanation of where the log would be so i have no idea if that was succesful. I then used the method described under “Generating Logs in Windows”. I took a look at the log generated and it doesn’t seem to be all that useful. Could you explain if either of these methods create a “full log” or if i need to do something else?

it creates the logs in your ‘logs’ directory. If you don’t know where that is, you can stop by settings > directory and check.

However, either of those methods should be helpful. Just make sure you actually perform the actions to produce the offending behavior (in this case, try to load the shader) while logging is running.

Well, here are the logfiles, but as far as i can see there is no relevant info in them. I didn’t do anything in particular to stop logging:

Hmm, yeah, I don’t see any action in there. Did you try to load the shader while logging?

Yes, of course i did.

You may be surprised to find out that many people miss that step, even after I remind them :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s not much we can do about it without the error, unfortunately. The only other thing I know to suggest would be to run retroarch from a command line like this:

.\retroarch --menu --verbose

and it will print the log to the console window.

Where the shader is located? I looked for it in “crt” and “preset” folders but there is no “crt-royale-sony_bvm”. So maybe have a look at the shader’s file and see if it reference some other shaders that are not present.

RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\presets

I’m on the latest retroarch version and I just did the shaders update using the online updater, I do not have that preset.

Yeah, it’s an older preset that was removed.

so probably some reference in the shaders are not there anymore, thats why is not working for OP.

1 Like