Flashing Lakka Flower on Boot on Generic x86_64 Laptop

Hi Everybody!

I’ve been trying to give an old laptop new purpose by installing Lakka 4.1 on it, yet I’ve had no luck.

I tried x86_64 and i386 to be on the safe side but both only show me the dreaded flashing splash screen after booting.

Tried this:
systemctl stop retroarch.service && DRAW_USE_LLVM=0 retroarch
without success.

Currently I don’t see where I can upload logfiles, so I will just post the end of the log I created using the script.

—snip—
[INFO] [GLSL]: Compiling bokeh shader…
[INFO] [GLSL]: Found GLSL vertex shader.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Found GLSL fragment shader.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Linking GLSL program.
MESA: error: Exceeded 16 max TGSI temps
[INFO] Linker log: error: looping not supported i915 fragment shaders, all loops must be statically unrollable.
[ERROR] Failed to link program #58.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Compiling snowflake shader…
[INFO] [GLSL]: Found GLSL vertex shader.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Found GLSL fragment shader.
[INFO] [GLSL]: Linking GLSL program.
MESA: error: Exceeded 16 max TGSI temps
[INFO] Linker log: error: looping not supported i915 fragment shaders, all loops must be statically unrollable.
[ERROR] Failed to link program #57.
[INFO] [GL]: Using 4 textures.
[INFO] [GL]: Loaded 1 program(s).
[INFO] [GL]: Using GL_RGB565 for texture uploads.
[INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: “freetype”.
[ERROR] [GL]: GL: Invalid value.
Segmentation fault

EOF
—snap—
Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance, :slight_smile:
Khalid

In the meantime I have also tried

MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=i965
and
MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=i915
and
MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=i830
all with no success.

Can anyone maybe point me in a direction where I can ask my question?

Also, I would love to give you guys some log files but I have no idea how (where) to upload them. Sorry and thanks!

Khalid :slight_smile:

I had some problems like yours. I got an advice from gouchi on Discord: switch the user-interface from default xmb to rgui.

If you want a try:

1. connect your laptop to LAN using wired cable.
  2. on Lakka boot, type “live ssh” instead of “live”.
  3. check your home router to find the IP address of the laptop running Lakka. Don’t mind the flashing logo. Lakka is running, just the user-interface does not show.
  4. Use PUTTY to SSH to Lakka. The id and password is “root” “root”, IIRC.
  5. find “retroarch.cfg”. It should be somewhere under subdirectory of /etc/ . I can’t remember it clearly.
  6. Use nano to modify retroarch.cfg in console mode. Or download the file to your local PC and modify with Notepad++. Don’t use Notepad provided by Microsoft.
  7. Find a string ‘menu_driver = “xmb”’. Make it ‘menu_driver = “rgui”’. Mind the quotes.
  8. Save and reboot. If your are lucky, you can use Lakka with rgui.
  9. If you can, send a log to Discord for developers to diagnose. Maybe they can fix it in the next release.

Fixing some mistakes in step 5 and 6. Read https://www.lakka.tv/doc/Configuring-Lakka/ CMD: systemctl stop retroarch CMD: nano /storage/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg CMD: systemctl start retroarch

Thank you very much for your reply!! :slight_smile:

Thanks to your suggestion at least I saw the rgui screen. But I still had to run lakka manually with this command: DRAW_USE_LLVM=0 retroarch -v to get it to start.

When I tried starting it automatically on boot, it wouldn’t start and behaved as before… Apparently it is trying to start but fails.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, khalid :slight_smile:

Glad rgui works for you. As to your other problem, it’s beyond my knowledge. Maybe you should ask for help in Discord. The developers are responsive.

Your GPU is maybe tool old ? Or it is the switch to new Mesa with crocus driver which can cause some issue for old Intel GPU.

You will have to use rgui menu driver.

Please read the documentation about how to edit Lakka configuration.