FreeIntv: the new Mattel Intellivision core (with video demonstration)

Is there a way to get controller overlays to display on the onscreen pad?

It’s something I’ve considered, but haven’t come up with a good way to do it yet. The on-screen pads are too small for text, and I think they’d be too obtrusive if they were made any larger.

I had considered an option to show a text description of the selected button on the bottom of the screen, but it’ll take some effort to make button text for each game. There are more pressing issues with it that need addressed first.

No problem. I think overlays would be the best as they are available and would add a nice UI. You could maybe then choose what size you want to display the pad at? I don’t know. Thanks for your message.

with this core i have prob for example with frogger, when u try to cross the road at the first step u die. Other example with nova blast, after a few secs the game reset.

anyone have same probs?

tks

I noticed one single game that doesn’t work with this core on Retroarch 1.7.7: Airstrike

The player’s overlay is invisible rendering the game unplayable. Is this a known issue with this core?

Please let me know Thanks Luca

What do you mean by “player’s overlay”? Do you mean the player’s sprite.

1 Like

Yes, sorry, that’s correct. The game plays fine except the player’s sprite is invisible. There might be other missing elements but that is the most obvious.

I’m slowly switching all of my emulators to retroarch cores and I’m excited about this core.

Thanks Luca

1 Like

Thanks for that. Bug reports like this are very helpful. I’m working on a big update that should fix a lot of issues with sprites, so, hopefully, that issue will be solved for you in the near term.

3 Likes

Great to hear. :slight_smile:

I just got RetroArch setup using your core and I think I found a ‘bug’. One of my favorite games from when I was a kid was Dragonfire. I can get it to load, select the 1 player and level, and it starts to play. But I am unable to see any of the animations … like my players figure, the fireballs, or arrows firing at me. Since I can not see them, they end up hitting my character and killing him. I can get the character (invisible to me) to move the right under cover to keep him from dying so it seems all the hit detection is still working. Is this a known bug? I didn’t see any issues with the other games I tried like Astrosmash and Beauty and the Beast.

Hi, is it possible to use a keyboard instead of a controller? I would not like to call up the small menu every time but enter the corresponding numbers directly via the keyboard.

That can be added easily enough. I’ll try find some time to add that soon.

1 Like

Since i can’t run intellivision games through MAME, i ended up using freeintv. But it still has some issues in frogger. The sprites are bugged when they move. Same issue i posted about a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Mame is my preferred Intellivision emulator. What version of Mame are you using?

Tried multiple versions, none will work for me.

Unless RetroArch is launched via Rocketlauncher.

ItchyRobot Sorry, Dragonfire was working fine a while ago, but I forgot to let you know.

mckraemer You can use the keyboard for 0-9. I mapped C and E to [ and ]

Hey there, I’m using freeintv on a Pi 4b in RetroArch. Is there a way to exit a game back and go back to RetroArch that I’m not finding? I’ve tried the usual button combos (hotkey+x, or any other button does nothing) as well as ESC on a keyboard but nothing seems to work and my googling led me here. Any advice?

Default hotkey to enter RetroArch’s menu should be F1.

F1, nor any of the F keys do anything. Is there an overarching hotkey settings file for Libretro emulators somewhere that I need to add freeintv to or something?

If you have ‘game focus mode’ enabled, RetroArch’s hotkeys won’t register until it’s disabled. The default mapping for it is ‘scroll lock’, IIRC.