Gb-shader without the crap?

I use DOT with handheld emulation because it’s the most neutral lcd shader I know but I love the look of the ‘gameboy’ shader more, as In I like how it makes the pixels look but I’m not a big fan of the palette or the motionblur. Is it possible to have the gb-shader only affect the look of pixels and not emulate the other aspects of the gb screens?

Some of the shaders (like lcd-cgwg) just use a pass of one shader, then a pass of a motionblur shader, so you can edit the cgp file to remove the blur shader. In the case of the gb shaders, though, it’s just several passes of specialized gb shaders, so just skipping one would screw things up probably. You could try messing with the option scattered throughout them. You could also try running the cg shaders individually with a modified cgp to see which one is applying the blur, to make the tweaking easier. I just imagine that I’m running everything on a GBA, since it’s easier to get the cgwg gba shaders to run without blur.

There should be a runtime parameter called ‘response time’ or something like that which can be used to reduce/eliminate the motion blur, but the palette thing is intrinsic to the way the shader works.

There are two presets that use palletes that mimic the Pocket and Light Game Boy variations. You can even edit the pallete.png in gameboy\resources to customize it. Like hunterk mentioned, open gameboy\shader-files\gb-pass0.cg in a text editor and then change the 0.333 next to “LCD Response Time” to 0.11. You could also change that from the menu’s shader parameter section and apply to save it.

Thanks for the replies. I went in the shader files, trimmed some fat and changed the path to the pure black and white palette and the outcome is… not bad. As hunterk said the palette seems to be intrinsic to the way the shader works and I see no way to let the MAGIC of GB colorization pass through the shader. The motion blur was greatly reduce by lowering the value but some remained, it’s weird because it doesn’t show up on screenshots.

Choices, choices. superior pixels + b/w OR blurry pixels + color

WHOA! This is what DOT looks likewith 4x scale! (instead of 5/don’t care)

Retro-v2 is what you want if you’re trying to get a dot matrix look for Game Boy Color games.

Shader links: retro-v2.cg retro-v2.slang

Ah! Just what I wanted! Thanks bro. :slight_smile: I think I’ll be using this for most old lcd handhelds.