Generic PC 3.5 not working anymore with Intel GPU

After updating my LAKKA PC to version 3.5 I’m unable to use it. I’ve done a “clean install” without any different result. With a Live Lakka with SSH I was able to get the precise error while starting Retroarch:

MESA-LOADER: failed to open i965: /usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
failed to load driver: i965
MESA-LOADER: failed to open kms_swrast: /usr/lib/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
failed to load driver: kms_swrast
MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
failed to load swrast driver

This is the hardware I’m using: https://www.ecs.com.tw/es/Product/Motherboard/BSWI-D2-J3060/overview I’ll keep using my Lakka 3.4 version. I don’t have a reason to upgrade, since the hardware can’t give anymore than 3.4 have.

LibreELEC doesn’t provide a lot of information about this, and finding the missing files seems that isn’t an option, so I’ve posted here!

Best regards!

Please, try adding export MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=crocus to /storage/.config/autorun.sh (if the file does not exist, create it).

Or maybe better solution is to add MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=crocus to /storage/.cache/services/retroarch.conf, as this is used by the systemd unit for RetroArch service.

2 Likes

I’ve created the “retroarch.conf” with the override command, and worked nicely. Thank you!

I need to put my files in another drive. Wiped everything in vain. -.-

Could you please elaborate how to do this exactly? I’m also stuck on something similar.

System Specs :- CPU : Intel i3-3240 Graphics : integrated Intel graphics 2500 Ram : 2GB Storage : 500 GB HDD

You will need to use the command line interface then enter something like

nano /storage/.cache/services/retroarch.conf

2 Likes

I can confirm that this worked on my Z3735F BayTrail (32bit UEFI) mini pc generic stick! (used Lakka-Generic.x86_64-3.5.img).

I had to press e and put textmode and ssh on the last line of installer option.

Then systemctl stop retroarch

Then nano /storage/.cache/services/retroarch.conf and add MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=crocus, save.

Then systemctl start retroarch (worked with bad graphics)

Rebooted.

You can acomplish the task using WinSCP or FileZilla. You can connect over hostname or ip, and see a beautiful interface, create a file, write on it and save it. Don’t forget to turn the option to see hidden files and folders.

Hi, Got it to work on the live USB, But I face the same issue after I install it. Any pointers on how I could fix that?

Thanks in advance.

Same as @matcarfer mentioned in his note.

1 Like

Thank you @vudiq and @matcarfer!! After 3.5 update on my MacMini, I couldn’t get past the boot logo but could still connect via network. Used PuTTY to add what you recommended and now it works again!

2 Likes

How do you get to the command line if your PC has no wifi nor Bluetooth and never boots? You can add the SSH file but do you connect at that point with an ethernet cable or what? Is there a guide for this? I more often than not have Lakka fail on any system I try to run it on due to the boot loop error, pis, x86 desktops, laptops, etc. I feel like I’m trying to install ReactOS sometimes and the whole point of Lakka is to avoid learning machine language so as to not have to set up local repositories and such to install emulators on a normal distro, so yeah…I don’t get it. I don’t think i have a cord anyway to connect my working laptop with an old desktop I’ve been playing with anyway though so I don’t see how it’s possible to do it the ‘Linux way’ unless you can actually paste it into the usb thumb drive using some partition wizard or something. I don’t get how Linux uses it’s packages but if I did I’d just be installing mednafen and mupen64+ from the source on whatever Linux distro rather than deal with a usb only Linux in the first place…

Please try latest nightly build - there was a fix for this specific issue above.

How do you get to the command line if your PC has no wifi nor Bluetooth and never boots?

A device that “never boots” its totally broken! What do you mean with that?

You can add the SSH file but do you connect at that point with an ethernet cable or what?

Of course! Pretty simple way to get arround the problem. You can also boot the computer with almost any Linux distro live USB drive, and get inside the files to make the fix.

I feel like I’m trying to install ReactOS sometimes and the whole point of Lakka is to avoid learning machine language so as to not have to set up local repositories and such to install emulators on a normal distro, so yeah…I don’t get it. I don’t think i have a cord anyway to connect my working laptop with an old desktop I’ve been playing with anyway though so I don’t see how it’s possible to do it the ‘Linux way’ unless you can actually paste it into the usb thumb drive using some partition wizard or something. I don’t get how Linux uses it’s packages but if I did I’d just be installing mednafen and mupen64+ from the source on whatever Linux distro rather than deal with a usb only Linux in the first place…

You still want to try Batocera, maybe you will like it more than Lakka

I put retroarch.conf with MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=crocus inside it inside of a folder named services but it still stays on the Lakka berry while flickering rhythmically forever.

And what is your GPU?

EDIT:

Also, to enter “debug mode” of Lakka, open text editor and modify files named grub.cfg and syslinux.cfg on the FAT32 boot partition (also check in EFI folder and sub-folders). There you will see following lines:

in grub.cfg:

menuentry "Live" {
        search --set -r /KERNEL
        linux /KERNEL boot=UUID=... disk=UUID=... tty grub_portable quiet
}

in syslinux.cfg:

LABEL live
  KERNEL /KERNEL
  APPEND boot=UUID=... disk=UUID=... tty portable quiet

Append “ retroarch=0 textmode” after “quiet” in both files (excluding the quotes).

You should boot to the linux console with a Lakka # prompt. Here execute

systemctl start retroarch.target

This will make sure that all necessary mount locations are properly set up. Afterwards you can follow this troubleshooting guide to collect the logs.

I altered the two files and put “retroarch=0 textmode” in both files but it still just stayed in that frozen logo situation for me. I did it at the end of the file with a line break and no space. Just one line. Is it supposed to be two lines? Anyway, I opened the thing and the gpu itself says “Nvidia MS-8878 Ver:130” and on an ic chip or whatever it says also “samsung 280” in at least one place on it. Perhaps if I load winxp on it and run cmd.exe and then winmsd.exe it’d tell me more but right now I’m burning the gigantic Batocera Linux I just was told about (six gigs decompressed???). I’ve probably ignored it as an option for me as it’s so huge but then I read it can do n64 in 32bit in it’s compatibility table and on x64 it even comes with dolphin installed unlike Lakka so it’s interesting me enough to download the gargantuan (bloatware) because I’m not intelligent enough for local repos and networking is against my religion at this point, so how else would emulators get installed on a Linux with me? Installing software on Linux is hard at times, especially if there’s no Internet that day.

But yeah, I know whatever gpu it has is okay as in winxp it runs project 64 v1.6 and Majoras Mask at full speed. It’s 32 bit of course, lots of my PC’s end up being that including the latitude 2100 I’m on right now that’s locked out of the boot order. The other experimenting computer desktop is a dell 4550 dimension by the way that I’m trying different Linux distros on.

Edit: Predictably the bloatware Linux didn’t work. It booted up but there were major video driver issues causing it to be unusable. I’m putting Ventoy and Lakka and Puppy back on it for some computer that might be able to handle that some day, for safe keeping and all. Winxp is best for that computer apparently. It’s not like I don’t have others computers anyway I just ‘needed’ to know because not knowing how well the stuff could work on x hardware bugs me. I can’t wait until this computer’s hdd breaks as then I’ll risk the cmos removal to unlock the bios and then try Lakka on the latitude 2100 as well some day of which is also a cheap old 32bit computer (though win7 and not xp and a netbook), they appeal to me as I’m always without money, such cheap computers.

For the record it had these white blocks of garbage where images were supposed to be, the batocera, but text showed up at the bottom saying start and such but I didn’t do much to try to fix it. Perhaps it could have responded and changed a setting but pressing flag/start didn’t do anything and such I don’t think and I was just waiting to give up on this old dell anyway to be honest so yeah.

The appended text should be added at the same line where quiet is, without any line breaks, e.g. the lines in

a) grub.cfg:

linux /KERNEL boot=UUID=... disk=UUID=... tty grub_portable quiet

b) syslinux.cfg:

APPEND boot=UUID=... disk=UUID=... tty portable quiet

become

a) grub.cfg:

linux /KERNEL boot=UUID=... disk=UUID=... tty grub_portable quiet retroarch=0 textmode

b) syslinux.cfg:

APPEND boot=UUID=... disk=UUID=... tty portable quiet retroarch=0 textmode

In my case, I found out my pc needs i830 driver. I did a test on Lakka 3.4 (that works on my pc) and created retroarch.conf with MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=crocus then MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=i965 both failed to start Retroarch. When I set MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=i830 it works.