GLupeN64 on newest Lakka build, how to improve performance with CRT shader?

I really like the new GLupeN64 core in the new Lakka. N64 games (the ones that run at least, Perfect Dark froze on me and might be too much for the RPi3) look absolutely gorgeous with the crt-pi shader, whereas the old Mupen64Plus core struggled running them.

However, when combined with the shader, the core still can’t run the games at full speed all the time, notably Super Mario 64 and Star Fox 64 which aren’t very demanding.

What can I do to perhaps achieve full speed with GLupeN64 + crt-pi? Bonus points if I could run Goldeneye at full speed as well (it runs ok and looks better than Mupen64Plus but still struggles in some parts).

I’d like to attempt overclocking, but my RPi3 is encased in an official plastic RPi case and all I have for cooling ATM are heat sinks. Do I need a small fan?

I’d prefer to play the games with the shader because it masks the jaggedness of the 320x240 resolution N64 games really well and makes them look almost 1:1 a copy of the real hardware.

crt-pi was specifically designed to squeeze all of the graphics performance out of an rpi as possible, so running it alongside a core that also uses the graphics hardware is probably just too much for the rpi to handle without disabling some of the functions in the shader.

I see. Interestingly enough, the games are “playable”, not at full speed, but playable, and look very pretty indeed. CRT shader helps the picture because these early low res 3D games look like a garbled mess on large LED displays.

From your reply I take it that overclocking wouldn’t help in this case?

probably not but it’s worth a shot, i guess. I don’t know if the overclocking touches the GPU or not.

It should… There are GPU settings that you can add to the overclocking file.

Overclocking using just heat sinks is fine, just make sure the case has plenty of ventilation. You may want to test it with the case open first.

the pi will very kindly tell you when temperatures are too high by displaying an orange square in the corner, and throttling down the CPU/GPU. let it tell you if your cooling is sufficient or not rather than us guess :slight_smile: