Handheld Border Shaders

Yeah, this is what I meant :slight_smile:

I’ve been playing around with that to try and make the screen glass effect togglable by a parameter, since I don’t like the effect. And so far it works for most borders, but the DMG border looks ugly when I disable the glass because the bottom part darkens the screen and the seam is too obvious.

1 Like

I use PNG compression on my Batocera decorations to cut down on the distribution size. This went from 1.5MB to 700kb.

If you look close you can see the signs of fidelity loss.

zoomed

On the whole though, it looks pretty good.

I am using the least possible compression though, so the loss could increase.

5 Likes

Hello Duimon, I used your Mega Duck image to make a layout with 5 zoomed views.

Using a dot.glsl shader looks and works fine. But adding a color-mangler.glsl shader for a green color the screen disappear, with 5x scale appears in a corner. I think the problem is a relative/absolute references of dot shader.

Another way to do it?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W9fUW-jplX_EMn2QqzUS91fLI3MhFN7n/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Solved with using a green overlay. This has 10 views.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kvV-RTVBJg4DDGTAxgSPZvV-U8LZgE8Z/view?usp=share_link

It’s funny you’re talking about making them smaller while I was upscaling them in Photoshop. :face_with_monocle:

Upscaled some (Lynx, NGP, GBA).

Made a new border for Game Gear.

1 Like

Thanks for your work. I use only a full device in hd resolution for all views. Loading one layout can change image and screen resolution, with overlays no. Views are 5x, 4x, 3x, 2x and 1x.

https://postimg.cc/vc72DC5n

Another problem is change the layout “in game” without open retroarch menu, exist “Next overlay” hotkey but no “Next layout”.

Another layout test with Game Boy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ur4mkIzx_-BAK8jNquoyvdek_GhthnL4/view?usp=share_link

11 posts were split to a new topic: Modern replacement for png images in shaders?

GameGear small clean up. Upscaled/Cleaned up WonderSwan.

Everything is 6400x3200 now.

3 Likes

Hi. First of all great work with GB shaders but I need help. I installed RA on my PC Windows, everything works fine, beautifull GB shaders, I love it. But when I installed RA on my iPhone SE I can’t use handheld shader from catalogue console border/dmg-2x.glslp and so on. When I’m choosing that shaders, I only see GameBoy borders png with yellow screen, without game view. But I hear game’s running. Other shaders from catalogue shaders works, I can change colors etc.

Is there any chance to fix this? Or maybe it’s about some settings issue? I fight with it for few days now and I stuck with it. PLEASE help. I just wanna play with this beautiful DMG screen :slight_smile: like this one below

2 Likes

Remade the NeoGeo Pocket border to be more detailed.
The lighting effect was blurring it too much.

2 Likes

Is there a way to make it work with 640x480 resolution? Trying to play around with the params and scale but to no avail. It looks blurry on a small Anbernic device.

I think 640x480 might be too low a resolution to be able to represent any LCD effect convincingly. For example, for a GameBoy game, you would need to use a 3x scale, which is not enough for the dot effect.

At that resolution, I think what I would do is just pick an integer scale level and use the borders by themselves without any LCD shaders.

Hi All!

I created a 16X9 1080P overlay with 4X3 cutted area screen, for Game Boy and would like to use it with Game Boy Console Border preset shader. Does anyone know what parameters I should insert in a preset so that I can create measurements and screen position myself, instead of pre-established values?

You can replace the border files with your overlay and then adjust the Border Scale parameter accordingly to suit the size of your overlay.

But mind you that he Game Boy screen is 10:9 and not 4:3.

1 Like

After upgrading from 1.9.14 to 1.15, all GBC border shaders stopped working - they are not scaling the image. Meanwhile all GB borders are still working well.

Ah, I was using old -x7 version, while now there is only one version

1 Like

@Tatsuya79 Your GBC preset has the BGR mode enabled. Is that on purpose or a mistake?
I was under the impression the GBC screen is RGB and not BGR.

Hi. I would like to know if it is possible to add shaders to a PS Vita 1000. I just want to put Gameboy DMG original green Screen as I do on PC. On PC is perfect but I would like to use my Vita and have the Handheld experience. I heard something about “pig in a blanket”, some kind of method RA mod that can make it happen. I am very lost at this point and I need some help. I try the same on my Wii U and it works but the screen is too small and I can fit it to the Wii U pad.

Could you help me please?

Not sure if that is achievable. The PSP does not have enough resolution to simulate a GB dot matrix.

The GB screen is 144 pixels tall, and needs at the very least 2 pixels to represent the grid, and that’s going to look horrible. Ideally you need about 4 pixels to get a somewhat decent result.
The PSP is only 272 pixels tall, so it doesn’t even fulfill the requirement of 2 pixels per GB pixel.

EDIT: My bad, you were talking about the Vita, not the PSP.
Well, the Vita is 544 pixels tall, so it might achieve the grid effect a little bit, but don’t expect it to look very good.

1 Like

May I ask where can I obtain the blue borders for gameboy pocket and game boy advancements?

You can find them here:

Mind you they have the glass reflection effect over them.
I’m working on a way to enable/disable this glass reflection through a shader parameter.

2 Likes