Handheld Console with Lakka?

Anyone who knows any type of handheld hardware console you can buy to install Lakka on it?

I would like something with a Dpad, 4 front buttons and 2 shoulder buttons. Anyone who knows? I know a lot of people are making their own with a raspberry pi but i am not that knowledgeable about making your own hardware to be able to do it.

You mean something like this?

You can buy them on Etsy, Thingiverse, ets. but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for it! (average price being somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-300).

yes im looking for something like that but that project is still not released and probably wont released for a very long time.

Actually…Your Best Bet? Trying to flashone of those portable Android emulator units (GPD XD: https://www.amazon.com/Android4-4-Gamepad-32GB-RK3288-Console-Tablet/dp/B01N9IG6BL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503798815&sr=8-2&keywords=GPD+XD) and using that, if you’re THAT hellbent on it (trust me, it’s cheaper and easier build one of the units yourself). I’m not sure if the Lakka team has got around to testing one of the RK3288 boards yet (i.e. Asus Tinker Board). Or like I said, farming out someone else to do it and getting charged the prices on Etsy (they can always put Lakka instead of Retropie if you contact them).

Or you know, you could just use the Android version of Retroarch. :slight_smile:

A refurbished Nexus 5 goes for about $160 USD. Throw RetroArch on there and find a gamepad with a phone clip and you’re good to go. I recommend an 8bitdo SNES30 with the Xtander. Even an old phone will be more powerful than a Pi-based system and probably last longer.

I would say exactly the same. :slight_smile:

@rhiimezz why not install RetroArch on an Android device and use it with XMB as menu driver?

As a “handheld console” I use RetroArch on my GPD XD and on my PS Vita (ok, PS Vita isn’t Android…). I also use my Android phone with an Ipega PG 9023 (it looks like this: http://des.dealsmachine.com/uploads/2015/201501/heditor/201501291825196705.jpg)

I love to use these devices to earn RetroAchievements on-the-go. :wink:

For playing with Retroarch on the go I use either my phone or my 3DS.

I gotta say that the 3DS with its lower screen would have a lot of potential if it was possible to have the onscreen overlay in there to use as keyboard or additional controls (like mouse pointer). But this is currently not the case and its current Retroarch port is also very limited in terms of which cores are available for it, it also doesn’t support achievements (and you’d need a wifi connection for the retroachievements anyway, since I don’t think they work offline and you won’t have mobile network connection).

This might change in the future, but I’d say if you really want the best suited portable device currently available to run Retroarch on, go with an Android-based device.

The 3DS / PSP / PS Vita ports might not support all the features and cores, they are not as well supported as Android and they might be more troublesome to get homebrew to work. Unless you are actually keen on playing 3DS / PSP / PS Vita games, you are better off with an Android device that has gamepad controls like the GPD XD with the custom firmware (I’ve read the official GPD XD firmware doesn’t run Retroarch well)…

I personally bought an Android device, the GPD XD handheld console, specifically to run Retroarch on it. With the XMB menu it is awesome and performance is really good for 8/16, even 32 bits systems. :slight_smile:

Edit : N64 emulation works very well too.

Actually, I think you could try this, but you need prepared a raspberry pi or some mini pc like that, because it’s only a hdmi screen, usb gamepad and battery.