How can I use beetle psx hw on raspberry pi 4?

I can not find this core in raspberry pi 4’s lakka

that usually means it’s not a good experience (in this case, probably too slow).

Exactly! It’s too slow for anything but a PC

1 Like

I use pcsx_rearmed_libretro and i am doing very well. :smiley:

I want to try overdrive :sweat_smile:

yes,especially you selecte “enhanced resolution” :sweat_smile:

In my pi 4 4GB with “enhanced resolution” set on, pcx_rearmed_libretro “nightly” runs perfectly in my 1024x768 monitor. :smile:

Hey- I have beetle on my PC and I just got a Pi. Everything runs just fine on the PC, but when I try running one of my games on the Pi it says “failed to load content”. The core on my PC is Beetle PSX HW; the core on my Pi is PSX ReARMed. Two other PS1 games on the Pi work just fine. Is this “failed to load content” likely a problem with the core or something else? Thanks in advance.

David

Which games are failing? I don’t know of any games that should just straight-up fail to load with PCSX-ReARMed…

Can you get a log of it failing to load?

Its Symphony of the Night. Next Tetris and Vagrant Story work absolutely no problem. The exact same file was copied from my PC where it works fine to a USB drive. Let me see if I can find a copy of the log to upload…

Dave

Ok this is humbling. I cannot figure out log files in Lakka. Help! (or please point me to a doc about this; none of the docs I have found seem to be for raspberry pi 4; PC, RetroArch, and Lakka on other distros of Linux but not Raspberry Pi.)

Here is what I am doing.

1. Turn on Raspberry Pi, boot into Lakka partition (there is also a Buster partition)
  2. Go to Settings -> Logging
  3. Setting: Logging Verbosity -> On
  4. Front End Logging Level -> 0
  5. Core Logging Level -> 1 [this cannot be set lower]
  6. Log to file -> On
  7. Timestamped Log Files -> On
  8. Performance Counters -> Off.

back out

1. Setting -> Directory

2. Runtime Logs -> /storage/ [previously this was saved to the /storage/.config/RetroArch but when I tried accessing this in Buster, I was told permissions denied and when I used sudo the folder was empty]

3. Lakka Menu -> Configuration file

4. Save current configuration

5. Playstation Roms Folder -> Castlevania Symphony of the Night -> Run

6. Error message: “Failed to Load content.”

7. Restart Raspberry Pi into Buster.

8. Look for log file in /storage/ - no file exists.

Help! If anyone has any suggestions please send them along. Sorry for taking over this thread. I am still a new user here and can’t create my own threads yet.

David

Can you load the SD card up on another computer? that might make it easier to access. You can also assign your log directory to wherever your ROMs live, if you can find that place easily.

1 Like

Yeah- good call about using the SD card in another computer. At the moment, I don’t see any log files at all. I have “see invisible files” on in the file manager. When you look at the steps I describe able, do you see something I am missing/should do differently?

I have heard that turning logging on in the command line is more reliable than using the GUI, and have been able to SSH in from my PC to Lakka, but I am a novice with command line. When I use tutorials that I find on the internet they tend to be for other platforms and when they don’t work, (or when I get an error about a command, even if I am sure I typed it in exactly as written in the tutorial) I don’t know what to do next.

D

The GUI options should be identical to using the --verbose CLI switch. You should just need to put the verbosity options to ‘debug’ and then set your log location somewhere known and writeable and then turn on ‘log to file’.

1 Like

Hunterk- thanks for your suggestion to save the log to the ROM directory and to open the file up on another computer.

Read the log, saw it didn’t like opening the file which had .cue.cue at the end of it. I edited the file name and it worked just fine. I appreciate your help!

David

sweet! I’m glad you got it going :slight_smile:

beetle core on linux or android is different from windows. maybe you should load .cue file,not .iso file. And you should put both .cue and .iso in the same direction. and the .cue file must be right. try again, good luck