How do you switch cores?

I’m trying to select a different emulation core for the NES. Initially I loaded FCEUmm, but I can’t figure out where to switch to Nestopia. I tried loading it, but after I do that and play an NES game, the recently played games still shows FCEUmm.

I guess the more general question is: Is there some documentation that explains how to use the Lakka interface and what everything does?

1 Like

You can go to settings > playlists and change which core is associated with a given playlist, but any games that you’ve already played will still try to use the core you already used. IIRC, the easiest solution is to just delete the playlist and re-scan. Once it’s scanned, go set the playlist association manually and I think* it should let you change it from that same setting in the future.

For general information, Lakka’s documentation site is here and RetroArch/libretro’s documentation site is here.

*I don’t really use the playlists much myself, so I don’t recall exactly how this stuff shakes out.

1 Like

Recently played also won’t switch cores. Recently played saves the location of the rom and what core you used to open it. You have to reopen it with a different core and it will add the same game but with different core to recently played list.

1 Like

There really should be an option to just change the core without deleting a re-scanning. This has always been an issue of mine as well.

I actually just manually edit the playlist myself but there really should be a more convenient option for this for the less tech savvy.

I think this could be handled pretty simply. One method could be just as simple as adding an option that just wipes the core selection in the same menu where you select cheats, add favorites, shaders, etc… Then you just relaunch the game and pick a core again.

Another option could be a little more advanced and actually show you the current selected core and allow you to just cycle through cores any time you want. Then you relaunch the game and it loads in the new core.

Either way, an easier method to change cores via the GUI is a feature that really should happen sooner than later.

2 Likes

I don’t know how to “reopen it with a different core”. I can’t get any game to run on a different core than the first core I loaded.

Have you tried manually loading the game through the load content option? If that doesn’t work the only thing to do is either manually edit the games playlist file or just delete the playlist file and rescan.