How to create preset: Mdapt + "raster" + halation

As many of you, I love Retroarch’s shaders. I recently discovered the Mdapt shader and it’s absolutely fantastic for Saturn and Genesis (kills the dithering). I use the “tvout+mdapt+interlacing” preset, but that only works properly with integer scaling is enabled. And… Genesis doesn’t play nice with integer scaling. It need the “core preset” aspect ratio in order for it to be correct.

Therefor, a Mdapt preset with a “raster” effect (like the Lottes shader) instead of scanlines would be perfect for non-integer. Also, I love halation (on Easymode shader for example) and would like to include it as well.

How could I try to make such a shader preset? I think it could be awesome :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Basically, you would just make a copy of the mdapt preset and then add more passes for the other shaders you want to include. If you can get it looking how you like by adding passes to the GUI, you can save the preset from there, otherwise you’ll need to build it via text editor.

Thanks for your reply! Though, when I stack the shaders/presets on top of each other, it doesn’t look the way I want… for example, when I add Mdapt to the easymode/halation preset, the raster effect of easymode is gone and it doesn’t look good at all. I tried linear mode and all the others. Any tips on how to create something better?

It would be so awesome to have a (non-Integer) Mdapt+easymode-Halation preset, for genesis games and arcade games (FBA also needs core specified AR instead of integer).

Here’s mdapt+easymode-halation:

shaders = 10

shader0 = ../dithering/shaders/mdapt/passes/mdapt-pass0.cg
filter_linear0 = false
scale_type0 = source
scale0 = 1.0

shader1 = ../dithering/shaders/mdapt/passes/mdapt-pass1.cg
filter_linear1 = false
scale_type1 = source
scale1 = 1.0

shader2 = ../dithering/shaders/mdapt/passes/mdapt-pass2.cg
filter_linear2 = false
scale_type2 = source
scale2 = 1.0

shader3 = ../dithering/shaders/mdapt/passes/mdapt-pass3.cg
filter_linear3 = false
scale_type3 = source
scale3 = 1.0

shader4 = ../dithering/shaders/mdapt/passes/mdapt-pass4.cg
filter_linear4 = false
scale_type4 = source
scale4 = 1.0

shader5 = "../crt/shaders/crt-easymode-halation/linearize.cg"
filter_linear5 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer5 = "true"
scale_type_x5 = "source"
scale_x5 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y5 = "source"
scale_y5 = "1.000000"

shader6 = "../crt/shaders/crt-easymode-halation/blur_horiz.cg"
filter_linear6 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer6 = "true"
scale_type_x6 = "source"
scale_x6 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y6 = "source"
scale_y6 = "1.000000"

shader7 = "../crt/shaders/crt-easymode-halation/blur_vert.cg"
filter_linear7 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer7 = "true"
scale_type_x7 = "source"
scale_x7 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y7 = "source"
scale_y7 = "1.000000"

shader8 = "../crt/shaders/crt-easymode-halation/threshold.cg"
filter_linear8 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer8 = "true"
scale_type_x8 = "source"
scale_x8 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y8 = "source"
scale_y8 = "1.000000"

shader9 = "../crt/shaders/crt-easymode-halation/crt-easymode-halation.cg"
filter_linear9 = "true"
1 Like

Thanks a lot! I’ll try it out asap :blush:

@hunterk: sorry but I can’t seem to get it to work. Do I need to copy paste the content of your post to a .txt file and save it as a .cg or .cgp? And in which folder should I put it? No matter what I try, the shader/preset doesn’t load in retroarch.

Sorry for being ignorant :confused:

No problem. I should have specified.

Put those contents into a text file named something like mdapt-easymode-halation.cgp and put that into the cgp directory.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! It works perfectly now, though it doesn’t seem so have the effect I am looking for… the colorblending effect by Mdapt is deminished by Easymode. I really just want to add raster-effect and halation to Mdapt. After that I might maybe add the image-adjustment shader as well, to dial back some of the saturation (Mdapt and Gdapt are too saturated IMO).

My question: is there a shader which only adds a rastereffect, like incorporated in the Easymode shader? Same question for a halation effect?

The crt/shaders/dotmask shader will add the phosphor effect but halation/bloom is a multipass effect.

okay, so halation can’t “just” be added to a shader is what you’re saying. Lottes has the halation built in, in the Lottes-halation preset, it doesn’t seem to be a multi-pass effect. I’m gonna give the dotmask shader a shot, thanks for your help man :slight_smile:

EDIT: I gave Gdapt + dotmask a shot, but colors are really weird. There aren’t many options to fiddle with in the Retroarch shader parameter menu, unfortunately.

Damn the idea was so simple, but the execution is abysmal at the moment haha!