How to DIY a light gun for games such as opration wolf?

I can not buy a light gun for games such as opration wolf at game shop. So i want DIY a light gun. Anyone has schematic?or tell me how to design it.

I think that many emulator users in general have been using Wii remotes as the basis for light guns in combination with the ā€˜Mayflash Dolphinbarā€™ Wii bluetooth receiver (which as the name suggests is designed to work well with emulators).

Iā€™ve been meaning to try this combo with Lakka myself but I havenā€™t yet so I wouldnā€™t want to suggest you go out and purchase these components. Maybe someone else here has actually tried it or another approach.

Please be aware that due to a limitation within libretroā€™s design itself you can only have one lightgun at a time for now.

whoops, ninjaā€™ed.

Iā€™m assuming youā€™re on a LCD/flat-panel TV/display and not a CRT? If so, traditional light guns canā€™t and wonā€™t work.

However, if you have a wii remote, Mayflashā€™s Dolphinbar can work pretty well as a light gun if you set it to ā€œmouse modeā€. Iā€™ve tested it successfully in Linux but in Windows the mouse/gun kinda goes crazy (or at least, it did when I tried it a couple of years ago).

There are also some premade solutions (canā€™t remember the names right now) that some of the arcade emulation folks speak highly of, but they just work the same way as a wiimote ultimately.

this Gun is very cool i thinkā€¦ https://www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html The used AimTrak-Hardware can be sold seperatly too.

but i dont know whether it runs under lakka/RA

Playing a nice lightgun-title (like O.W. or Space Gun) with such a device is a great pleasure :slight_smile:

Anyone had any luck using one of the Aimtrak guns with Mame in Lakka? Just curious.

There is new support for lightguns in RetroArch as of a few weeks ago and Aimtrak guns should work in Windows and *nix operating systems.

This will not be part of Lakka until RetroArch 1.6.8 is bundled. Right now Lakka uses RetroArch 1.6.7.

1 Like

Ok. Cool. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Iā€™m working on an Arduino powered light gun for Mame & Retropie have a look at the demo here. Hope to have a build guide up soon.

1 Like

That looks really good and stable. It uses IR LEDs around the display for positioning?

Itā€™s just 2 Leds on top of the screen, but Iā€™ve added some trigonometry into the code to which allows for a bit tilt on the gun which makes it nice and stable. Iā€™ll add a link to the code when I make my build guide video, hopefully be up in a couple of weeks.

Nice. Iā€™ll forward to checking it out :slight_smile:

Hi, Iā€™m not sure if youā€™ve seen but my build guide is now upā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Guys, hereā€™s a quick vid of the SAMCO light gun in actionā€¦

2 Likes