Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

@HyperspaceMadness @soqueroeu

Couldn’t this already be done by adjusting the bezel height and width so that a bit of frame shows? (Don’t these parameters already provide independent scaling?)

1 Like

Right now the bezel & frame size is relative to the tube/screen size, so if the tube gets bigger then the bezel and frame get bigger to accommodate the tube.

What a feature like this would be helpful for is where you have a static image which needs to line up with the frame somehow, and you want to set the frame size, then adjust the tube size without affecting the frame.

I’m still not sure how many people are using it in this way

This is exactly my case, since I use overlays outside the standard measures.

@soqueroeu

I’m fairly certain this can be done using existing parameters. Can I ask you to post the overlay you are using?

Yes, it is possible to make all the adjustments currently. Making the adjustment of the bezel and tube independent would be perfect.

Usually overlays are made to measure (4: 3 for most systems). But I created ovelays without worrying about measures. The game image area has an approximate value of 1632x1248. See image:

2 Likes

Looky here!

3 Likes

I see it

How close are you to your TV?

Probably not handy as doing something within Retroarch, but if it helps, I might be able to help with an AutoHotKey script…

AHK scripts are pretty useful to modify text files, eg: manipulating an .slangp or a .cfg. Or even, copying/pasting files (like having a folder with profiles to copy and paste over the current loaded).

The downside is that the user would need to have AHK installed to run the script, or have one .exe running the compiled script.

Mega Bezel is updated to V 2020-08-10

Changes:

• You MUST use the latest Retroarch release, at least 1.9.0

• Retroarch 1.9.0 is required because the shader now leverages increased maximum number of parameters, textures and shader passes

• Presets have been renamed slightly

• All presets (Including Royale) now include Dogway’s awesome color correction shader Grade!

• Most of the old color correction has been removed and is replaced by grade

• Fake scanlines to respect vertical scanline direction

• Tube Glass Image Scale, scale the reflection on the tube glass

• Documentation added for most Parameters in shaders_slang/bezel/shaders/HyperspaceMadness/Mega Bezel Readme.txt

• Performance of Guest-Venom Preset on Nvidia RTX2060: * 3840x2160 - 155 fps

Mega Bezel Still to Come:

• Frame & Bezel
    • Frame edge bevel width and opacity
    • Adjust bezel outer corner without affecting corner highlight
  • Scanlines
    • Get GTU to respect scanline direction
    • Implement Rolling scanlines & interference similar to Newpixie-Crt
  • Color Management/Correction
    • Add Color Management
    • Brightness balance the presets so they are consistent, some are currently brighter than others
  • Geom-Deluxe Version
  • Split Screen
    • Autodetect Split Screen
    • Split screen working with Citra Side by side (Control of Split Center)
    • Split screen with small second screen as small on right
    • Split screen fix center area between bezels with tilt
  • Royale - Add Sampling support for cropping & downsampling behavior
  • Fix garbage pixels in guest-sm
  • Add some standard deconvergence which can be used with the rolling scanlines
  • Screen Scale Newpixie
  • Reflection on areas outside the frame, e.g. Arcade Speaker Panel and Control Panel
  • Image Layers
    • Dedicated Night Image
    • Dedicated Lights Image
    • Frame Gradient Image
    • Tube Scratches Image
10 Likes

Nice update!

An ambitious list! I have learned to expect nothing less. :wink:

:thinking: Hmmm… I wonder how I can use this. :innocent:

2 Likes

You’re the best!!!

2 Likes

Thanks, I really want to thank @Dogway for the awesome work put into Grade, it combines so much great stuff! And integrates a lot of knowledge about how all the signal & color transforms work and make it really useable.

4 Likes

Hey HyperspaceMadness , in addition to performance, could you show the visual difference between 2D and 3D curvature settings? Some images would go well!

1 Like

Awesome work as always. So many options on this shader. Curious if it’s possible to get those scanlines on higher res games to follow the screen curvature and if not perhaps a toggle to auto turn off the curve?

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: Yeah, now that there are more parameters available I’m going to revisit the “fake” scanlines and make them more like the mame-hlsl, and I’ll add a parameter to control how much they curve.

I could post some comparisons, but the best way to get a feel for the difference is to try it out interactively.

The biggest difference between the 2d and 3d is only 3d can do tilt, 2d is also much faster, also if you want extreme curvature 3d does a better job.

@HyperspaceMadness I think your fake scanlines method might be better than the mame_hlsl. With mame_hsls a psx core resolution of 2x the scanlines work at 50% scale. (4x is 25%) On Dreamcast I have to set it to 49%. The Bezel shader seems more consistent on multiple resolutions.

1 Like

Yeah I think I will keep the part that the mega bezel does where it tries to simulate a particular scanline resolution, rather than being tied to the core resolution.

I’ll probably expose a vertical resolution to simulate, e.g. 240p, and also allow the user to choose if they want the scanlines line up exactly with the monitor pixels.

1 Like

@HyperspaceMadness, Thanks again for each update.

The presets are organized by performance and I noticed the base shaders have more stages. Are there any reasons for using base shaders?

I couldn’t find any visual differences between the base shaders and the simplified ones.

Thankful!

1 Like

No problem :slight_smile:

The simplified ones have a bunch of passes removed including:

• MDAPT (De-Dithering)
  • ShaderFX (Shape Smoothing, like XBR or Super Eagle)
  • GTU (Composite, Horizontal Blurring)

When these are not on you would not see a difference between the full presets and the simple ones

I’m enjoying making bezels for your shader. I’m not sure if I should pursue a route of a TV inside a console or a TV inside the box art. Either can get on the garish side of things.

5 Likes