Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Congratulations @soqueroeu on your release of Graphics and Presets, they are looking really great!

4 Likes

Thanks My Friend!

I owe you a lot !

2 Likes

Hi there, this is the FBNeo rotation issue which is becoming familiar :sweat_smile:.

Basically FBNeo is trying to rotate the whole viewport which we don’t want it to do. Instead we want FBNeo to output a sideways image then it gets rotated in the Mega Bezel, here’s a post which should point out what to do:

2 Likes

I tried again and in fact this time it worked like a charm.

I guess the issue was that the first time you use a shader preset a lot of stuff gets compiled and I was too anxious and guessed it was stuck :stuck_out_tongue:

Now all presets I tested work and are in fact as awesome as everyone say. Great job.

The 1_ADV, 2_GLASS and 2_STD ones stutter for me. I don’t have a hi spec laptop, so I guess they are too demanding. The 3_BASIC-REFLECT and 4_BASIC work flawlessly.

Now I’d very like to test them with some nice bezel/overlay around them. Is there a package/set you’d recommend that suit well your shaders? I know OrionsAngel are excellent. I don’t know if it’s easy to integrate them with the shaders.

EDIT: I’m interested in arcade games, so what I’m looking for is cabinet artwork, not generic TV or console themed overlays. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another little update.

I tried to enable the console log as you specify in the readme file, but it did not work.

I don’t know if it’s peculiar to Linux or not.

I am able to open a log window, though, if I launch Retroarch from the console with option “–verbose”

2 Likes

Hi, Glad they are working for you. :grin:

I’ll assume you are thinking of a horizontal aspect. OrionsAngel’s stuff is excellent, as well as Some of ArsInvictus’ overlays that he did before he switched to doing vertical overlays, I’m not sure if he still has a distribution link for this. ArsInvictus, PapaShine, Thoggo and Briball 4K Vertical Overlays - RetroArch Additions / Overlays - Libretro Forums

But really you can use any graphic and adjust the Mega Bezel to match the scale. One thing which I think works quite well in terms of ease of use to avoid having to reconfigure stuff each overlay for arcade stuff is that you can use an overlay which has the card area and inside of this is cut out like this

Then you just place the screen as you like with the shader parameters and have Background Show over Screen on, so the graphic goes on top of the reflection, I’m pretty sure this will work.

You can also use the Use Image For Placement (Scale & Y Pos) parameter and set the placement image to the same as the background image and the screen will be placed within the transparent area automatically.

The Orionsangel presets in the examples package are set up this way if you want to see what to do.

Let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

Also there were some arcade cabinet works done for some of the different emulators:

3 Likes

Yes, I’m going for horizontal/19:9, and OrionsAngel’s are in facts the perfect bezels for my tastes.

I have beeh away from the scene for a while, so I’m still trying to catch up with the endless stream of improvements. I just read that he’s planning to release a pack of bezels that are already optimized or set up for the MEGA shader.

That would be awesome because the most boring part of all this is, of course, the fine tuning and placement of bezel and shader, game per game, would be endless for arcades.

I’ll try your instructions ASAP, thank you very much.

2 Likes

Yeah definitely take a look at the orionsangel examples in the examples package, they really show the simple application between multiple graphics.

1 Like

Excuse me, where can I find this “example package”?

2 Likes

They’re linked in the first post :grin:

2 Likes

Very silly of me asking.

Very kind of you answering.

Thanks.

2 Likes

And, pardon me again, how should the additional example package be installed?

I tried to copy the “Examples” folder in various places, besides or under the existing “Mega_Bezel” folder, but loading an example always fails.

2 Likes

Hmm that’s strange, it’s supposed to be setup so you can put it anywhere, I personally put it in the Mega Bezel /Presets folder.

Can you paste here what the error is in your log?

1 Like

This is what I get:

[WARN] [Shaders]:  Could not read shader preset in #reference line: /tmp/.mount_RetroAO1uKPv/usr/bin/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__BASIC-REFLECT__GDV.slangp
[ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create preset: "/home/tarrasque/Downloads/RetroArch-Linux-x86_64/RetroArch-Linux-x86_64.AppImage.home/.config/retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/HSM_Bezel_Reflection_Examples/Examples/Orionsangel/SuperMetro
id.slangp".
[ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create filter chain: "/home/tarrasque/Downloads/RetroArch-Linux-x86_64/RetroArch-Linux-x86_64.AppImage.home/.config/retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/HSM_Bezel_Reflection_Examples/Examples/Orionsangel/Supe
rMetroid.slangp". Falling back to stock.
[INFO] [Shaders]:  Finding Parameters in Shader Passes (#pragma parameter)
[INFO] [Shaders]:  Finding Parameters in Shader Passes (#pragma parameter)
1 Like

doesn’t seem to match

Although I’m no Linux expert.

Maybe I’ll learn something as you two sort this out. :grin:

@HyperspaceMadness I installed RA 1.9.7. The new “Full” aspect ratio will be a life saver! :partying_face:

You should probably mention the available new option in the top post. :wink:

1 Like

Nice! Yeah, I thought that would be a nice feature, definitely nice to switch to portrait and not have to change anything.

I’ll update the install directions, as Full should now be the recommended aspect ratio mode.

I also snuck in an increased max parameter count to 1024 in 1.9.7 (if you can believe it I started to add just a few more params and I hit the 512 limit)

@Tarrasque, this is happening because your shaders folder is not under your retroarch folder, and when it is looking for the referenced shader it is looking from the root of the RetroArch folder. So you can either move your shaders folder or change the paths inside the presets to be relative to their location, E.G.

../../../../presets
2 Likes

:exploding_head: Just for reference, what was the parameter limit a year ago, before you changed anything?

1 Like

Yeah the original limit was 128

I was originally concerned there would be some technical problem with it, but there doesn’t seem to be.

I created a shader with the max number of parameters, textures, & passes, as a test, 64 passes, 16 textures and 1024 params. :exploding_head:

It still loads so I guess we’re all good :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness My shaders are under my Retroarch folder.

Retroarch for linux is distributed ad an AppImage container. It’s a sort of self contained package, which needs no installation and can pratically be run anywhere. This kind of containers are a lot en vogue lately, there are many different implementations of the principle, the most famous is Docker.

Anyway, I’m not an expert, but I think it sorts of creates a private sandbox when is run, complete of home and config folders.

I have unpacked the AppImage distribution under:

/home/tarrasque/Downloads/RetroArch-Linux-x86_64/

There you can find it’s “private home” folder:

/home/tarrasque/Downloads/RetroArch-Linux-x86_64/RetroArch-Linux-x86_64.AppImage.home/

which already contains Retroarch’s .config folder with all subfolders (core, assets, overlays, shaders…) out of the box.

I, following the readme, added all the Mega bezel stuff under:

/home/tarrasque/Downloads/RetroArch-Linux-x86_64/RetroArch-Linux-x86_64.AppImage.home/.config/retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel

As you can see in the logs. As I said, “regular” Mega Bezel presets work for me.

The issue, I think, is that when run the AppImage system creates some temporary stuff like:

/tmp/.mount_RetroAO1uKPv/usr/bin/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__3__BASIC-REFLECT__GDV.slangp

And that’s outside my control, I fear.

So, yes, the solution seems to be to go to relative paths, but I think it’s should ALWAYS be like this from the start, or we will run with similar issues in the future as these container systems are getting more and more popular, also in Windows.

3 Likes