4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

I’ve renamed this thread as we’ve got a group of us (@PapaShine, @Briball, @Thoggo and myself) working closely together as a team on these overlays and it will simplify things if we can reduce our posts to a single location.

Additionally, we will be posting both standard MAME and Retroarch copies for the overlays going forward, starting with Karnov. Over time, I’ll go back over the existing overlays and create MAME lay versions for them as well.

Soon these files will be available for download on a new web site we are putting together that will have a lot of features for navigating all the available overlays. You can see the beta version of it at: verticalarcade.com.

For the time being, for my own files, I’ve set up a new structure on my dropbox that is cleaner and hopefully simpler to navigate. I’ll also be including config files for the Retroarch versions with preset screen coordinates.

I’ve also got a venom-guest-crt shader configuration file with the parameters I’m using for my own setup in case anyone wants to use it. It’s configured to match the screen bezel I’ll be using going forward as well. I love @HyperspaceMadness’s shader, but we want to start publishing these for the least common denominator hardware, so these could be used on a Raspberry Pi setup etc.

The new dropbox folder can be found here:

Shared with Dropbox

There will be two subdirectories, for mame and retroarch.

• For Mame, that folder will just have the .zip files for all the games, just have to drop them into your Mame artwork folder.
  • For Retroarch, the directories will match the actual Retroarch directory structure. So copy the config files for each game into the Retroarch config directory on your own machine and likewise for the overlays files.
  • To use my own Retroarch shader presets, just copy the contents of the shader directory, but you will need to be set up to use slang shaders and have the venom-guest-crt shader installed in your setup. Longer term I will include crt-pi and other common shader configurations that will be tuned for these overlays.

The old overlay share can still be found here:

15 Likes

Mortal Kombat II

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Deathsmiles

Gigawing

Blazing Star

3 Likes

Darkstalkers

Mortal Kombat

4 Likes

Samurai Shodown

Metal Slug

Mars Matrix

King of Fighters 98

X-Men - Children of the Atom

DoDonPachi

R-Type

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Armored Warriors

Galaga 88

Black Tiger

6 Likes

These are so good! Thank you for sharing your work!

2 Likes

Thanks! Glad you like them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those are awesome! Great job!

2 Likes

Thank you! Also, thanks for all your great work and contributions to the community. You helped inspire me to get into this too.

3 Likes

Someone inspired me to get into this as well. Glad I can do the same for someone else.

2 Likes

New overlays for Samurai Shodown 2/3/5.

3 Likes

Added Marvel Super Heroes

4 Likes

Ghouls and Ghosts with original bezel artwork

3 Likes

@ArsInvictus These look great!

If this continues I’m going to have to alternate by clicking on the heart icon with my tumbs now that you and @Orionsangel are creating such great bezels!

2 Likes

Thanks @Rion for the encouragement! I’m glad you like them!

2 Likes

SmashTV

Thanks to @Orionsangel for assistance with this one.

3 Likes

Nice job! I’m glad I could help.

2 Likes

U.N. Squadron. I cleaned up the bezel scan quite a bit. It’s not perfect, but much better than where it started.

EDIT: I’ve cleaned up the bezel more and updated the overlay

4 Likes

Cool! It sucks though that the only available version of this overlay is cut off at the top.

2 Likes

I know. This was actually a pretty popular game too. Sometimes I feel like an archaeologist digging for these old materials but it was just the 80’s and 90’s. It’s too bad more people back then didn’t recognize how big a part of our culture the arcades had become and put more effort into preserving the art and marketing materials.

2 Likes

I feel the same way. Exploring ancient ruins. That’s part of the fun. Yeah, the mid 90’s is when they stopped using artwork overlays in Arcade cabs. They mostly used instruction cards for the moves list. Since so many games were fighting games back then.

1 Like