Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

My friend, I wasn’t suggesting that HSM split the thread, nor was it my intent to devalue your contribution. :innocent:

If you go back up in this thread to March of 2020 you’ll see that I posted all of my work here.

Eventually I created my own thread and started cross-linking to this when I had news.

My thought was only that @2V3EvG4LMJFdRe seemed to be mistaken about the content, and my intent was to offer a solution to his “documentation” comment. :grin:

4 Likes

I understand. Well @2V3EvG4LMJFdRe is probably new to this new simple preset format as well so it might be slightly daunting. I mean even I am new to these things so I’m taking things one step at a time. I doubt I’ll get huge enough to warrant a new thread anytime soon. I didn’t even expect to be making any other presets and derivatives other than the ones I originally posted but I guess things are evolving. It seemed like fun trying to match some of the screenshots using the little that I’ve learned even if roughly.

What I have been doing is trying to have my presets up to date and ready for whenever @HyperspaceMadness might be ready or so inclined to include them in the main package. I might have made a slight announcement here and there in the thread just to let anyone interested be aware that they can take a look back at the old post to see and get the latest.

I’m thinking that once it becomes a part of the package, there’ll be no need to refer users or anyone interested to the raw presets and instead users would only have to be directed to the main HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader package. That’s why I haven’t even bothered to make a neat, little shader package zip file available for download.

4 Likes

I suggest you take it one step at a time. You’ll need this first:

Read up and get that installed and working then you can try my shaders or any other compatible shaders you find in the thread or forums.

This is the post to my shader presets here:

4 Likes

Yup that’s great, happy to see the presets you’ve created, I’ll try to get them into the experimental folder soon :).

5 Likes

Thanks, I really appreciate that! You take your time and let the next release bake sir! I’m certainly in no rush. I’m really having fun with this version and I would imagine that this upcoming version might take a lot due to the significant changes.

5 Likes

Just today, I read this. Now you’ve posted this:

Very interesting stuff indeed. I’ll play around with these settings a bit and see if I can get some further improvements. I did something like that with the core res parameters by trial and error earlier though. I increased the horizontal, while leaving the vertical intact to give the effect of higher resolution, less pixelated graphics but still preserving some of the old school low resolution look due to the it having the same number of scanlines and vertical pixels.

I was also curious as to the real purpose behind the rolling scanlines.

On another note…Does the RetroArch global Bilinear Filtering option in video settings have any effect when Mega Bezel is active? Also the CPU based filters?

I couldn’t tell a difference with Bilinear Filtering turned on or off or when I tried any of the Blargg NTSC Filters. I did see a drastic effect when I tried other filters though, like one of the green LCD Dot Matrix filters.

By the way HyperspaceMadness, @Brainbin74, @Duimon, @Nesguy, @2V3EvG4LMJFdRe, @Tromzy I just updated my preset post with some video clips which should provide a much better representation of how my presets look in real life. They are all native 4K video clips and must be downloaded first (i.e. not viewed in the browser preview) to get the optimal viewing experience. They’re short clips so I suggest you loop them as well.

4 Likes

Sadly, it seems it’s gonna be difficult to get this going on my macOS setup because the only driver available is “gl” which won’t support these. There’s some talk of bringing the Vulkan driver through Metal on Github, but no release has come out of it yet. However, I actually run RA through Parallels because of a separate issue, and I can use the D3D11 driver there. Running RetroArch 1.9.10, I load individual .slang shaders that come with RA just fine, but when I load any MegaBezels preset, nothing actually happens nor loads. And if I go to the HyperspaceMadness folder from RA, instead of all the .slang files I get “No Items”.

My file structure is:

RetroArch/shaders/HyperspaceMadness

RetroArch/shaders/shaders_slang/Mega_Bezel

I’ve tried with HyperspaceMadness inside Mega_Bezel too, but since the Mega Bezel .slang files show as “No files” regardless, I don’t think it’s the issue. I’d say it’s the RA version, but since it’s the latest one…

1 Like

What about Boot Camp?

1 Like

This is an incorrect installation. There isn’t supposed to be a HyperspaceMadness folder in the shaders folder nor a Mega Bezel folder in the shaders_slang folder.

The Bezel folder is supposed to be copied into the shaders_slang folder.

Also if your driver is set to gl you wouldn’t “see” any slang preset files from within RetroArch.

4 Likes

I’m not sure it’s available on Mac, but if the GLCore video driver is available this works well with the Mega Bezel.

4 Likes

You’re right, I actually got confused when unzipping and ignored the “bezel” level folder. I think it could use a better name, I immediately got confused because it seemed like the kind of word RA already uses, as in I thought there is already a “bezel” folder somewhere in RA and I had to put these in there. Anyway, just a comment.

There is actually only the original “gl” driver on macOS and nothing else. I do run Bootcamp already, but I’m trying to consolidate most of my setup on macOS for various reasons (one being that Bootcamp is no longer supported by macs hardware, M1 and forward). That said, I have now been able to load the shaders through RA running on Parallels (a VM with Windows) with the D3D11 video driver. It takes a long time to load a preset, but it runs ok after that. I’ll see how that goes as far as usability. Thanks for all the help, I’ll be back…

3 Likes

I’m a bit confused. I thought that one of the reasons for slang shaders was Metal support.

2 Likes

Hmmm, well, as of 1.9.10 the only available video driver for macOS is “gl”. I tried running RetroArch from a Windows VM and “vulkan” and “glcore” both crash the program.

edit: Uuuuuuh, hold on to that comment, there is indeed a Metal release on the official site. I’ll try this now.

2 Likes

You mean this thing here?

Yes! Guess I didn’t see it the first time. Since Windows doesn’t have a separate release for RetroArch (Vulkan) I thought I didn’t think much of it. It actually fixes a problem I had with the way the window would fullscreen, but I’m having a crash when launching content even from a default config. Since the menu driver loads just fine, whatever’s going on could be fixable I think, but that’s a separate issue from running shaders. I’ll be back… again

2 Likes

Yeah D3D11 loads the Mega Bezel super slow compared to normal for some unknown reason.

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s due to lack of proper multithreading support on D3D11?

1.9.11 just came out today by the way.

Would these work with an Intel HD 3000? The problem turns to be, cores are being compiled for the latest version of macOS only. But if I update to that version I will lose all support for my dedicated GPU. Otherwise, I’ll have to hunt down old versions of the current cores.

1 Like

I just came across this thread:

I’m not sure. There’s an update coming up that’s supposed to provide a huge speed improvement but why would you lose support for your dedicated GPU if you update your OS? Why are things like these so complicated on the Apple platform?

1 Like