Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

I told you above. “Radial Fade Width” and Height. If it still seems to stop then you are seeing the bezel edge and need to turn down it’s opacity.

If you need it wider you can just leave the radial fade set a bit higher and increase the hidden bezel width.

After turning the Global reflection amount up quite a bit you can get this.

You can imagine how this might look over an appropriate existing image.

I also adjusted the corner crease fade parameters.

5 Likes

Thanks dude. I messed with the Fade Width and Height and I didn’t notice any changes. I think it was because I didn’t change them enough to make a big change.

4 Likes

If you really want to run arcade, 8 & 16 bit in the Mega Bezel with all the bells and whistles at 4K 60 FPS then you really need at least the performance equivalent to a RTX 2060 which I can vouch for because it’s what I have in my desktop.

6 Likes

That’s exactly the estimate that I needed, thank you. I’ll weigh my options and make a decision in due time then. The Shield is a cool device but I think it pretty much ran its course, held me down since 2015 and Nvidia doesn’t seem to be putting out a new one at the moment, meanwhile pc tech just keeps getting better and better

4 Likes

Wow I’m glad this project is getting closer to v1. I want to prepare a new monitor for the best experience. So I’d like to get this community’s opinion.

I’m currently using a 27inch 1440p monitor. I think it’s the best choice for playing general PC games, But it doesn’t seem to be the case for emulations. Cause the only issue I am experiencing with Mega Bezel is the moire effect (if the scanline is strengthened). Is it correct that a 4k monitor can solve this?

And I’m debating whether to make the size 32 inches. It seems too big for emulation, but I think it could be better for watching videos. (Netflix, Disney Plus, etc…) Could Duimon’s PVM preset be a good solution as it makes the game screen a bit smaller?

I’d love to give you a lot of opinions.

3 Likes

You can try the 1440p Optimized Presets in my Shader Preset Pack.

Moire patterns aren’t a 1440p thing. It can happen at any resolution. Having a smaller display area might actually make it worse.

You can also experiment with my 1080p or 4K_Optimized Slot Mask Presets. They haven’t been tested at 1440p yet, but they might work.

2 Likes

If you like your monitor then there are definitely things that you can do to get less Moire. But the more pixels you have the less Moire you will get, so 4K is definitely better for this. I don’t really see much moire at 4K without any extra effort to remove moire.

Yeah 32inches with a the PVM preset should be quite nice and not too big.

4 Likes

What are the parameters to achieve this same effect?

2 Likes

Let me do it again and I will post them.

1 Like

This might be a bit better. The real trick is to turn off reflection full screen glow and increase the hidden bezel height and width.

#reference "shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/MBZ__3__STD.slangp"
HSM_BZL_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "400.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "400.000000"
HSM_FRM_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_FRM_TEXTURE_OPACITY = "0.000000"
HSM_FRM_INNER_EDGE_THICKNESS = "0.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_FADE = "7.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_CORNER_FADE_DISTANCE = "15.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_GLOBAL_AMOUNT = "85.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_DIRECT_AMOUNT = "168.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_FULLSCREEN_GLOW = "0.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_RADIAL_FADE_WIDTH = "41.000000"
HSM_REFLECT_RADIAL_FADE_HEIGHT = "50.000000"
6 Likes

Really nice… it looks amazing. Thanks

2 Likes

I was having a problem with Marble Madness and turning the Fullscreen Glow off fixed it.

1 Like

If I may be allowed a stupid question, is this only intended for use on 1x scaling? I have RetroArch nightly and my Xenogears rom on my M2 SSD with the SwanStation core, I’ve followed your instructions to the dot but find that when my core enhancements has 3x (for 720p) or 5x (for 1080p) then it just freezes and seems to never load the shader before crashing, while 1x loads it in 3-5seconds and it plays perfectly. Is this supposed to happen?

2 Likes

I love it!

3 Likes

I think it is very likely that you are running out of video ram because of the increased core resolution and this is crashing it.

This is a bigger problem with the SMOOTH-ADV presets, and would be less of an issue with the STD presets.

What res is your monitor?

If the option is available and you can increase internal resolution and then set downres (both in the core) then you may be able to get a nicer antialiasing but still with a not too high resolution. Basically anything over 640x480 going through a crt shader is not going to really show any crt visual dynamics.

There are also the DREZ presets which can take a high res image from the core and downres it in the first shader pass.

4 Likes

It’s a 1080p monitor! I have an RTX 2070 Max-Q which has 8GB VRAM so I’m not sure why it’s running out, I would expect 8GB is plenty? But I believe you’re right, I ran a log after trying the STD preset on 5x for 1080p and it seems to point that my device lacks the memory and it’s crashing if I’m understanding correct.

Not sure what you mean about downres though unfortunately, but thank you for the fast and helpful reply.

2 Likes

Turn the internal res up too far and it will crash any graphics card on the market.

Downres = some cores have the option of increasing the internal scaling to crisp the edges and then downcsale to the original resolution.

The DREZ Mega Bezel presets do the same thing. So the core increases the internal res and the shader takes the high res source and outputs it at a target resolution.

\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Base_CRT_Presets_DREZ\MBZ__3__STD__DREZ-240p__GDV.slangp

Would output at 240p, no matter what internal res you are using. You get very nice scanlines but no jaggies in the game image.

3 Likes

Plenty all depends on context. If you understand what is going on in the shader in order to make these old graphics look their best you’ll understand why it can still not be enough.

With some of the more advance CRT Shader Presets you may not even want or need to use such high internal resolutions in order to have pristine graphics because the Mask and Scanlines can handle most of that for you and the Shader can also perform upscaling internally.

So it’s like you’re trying to upscale an already highly upscaled image because the Smooth-ADV presets do this automatically, that’s why it’s easy to run out of memory.

I’ve tested my CyberLab Composite Pure and CyberLab N64 presets with N64 and I doubt I’ll ever want to or need to use anything other than 1X internal resolution in the core settings.

Same goes for Dreamcast/Naomi/Atomiswave and Sony PlayStation.

The DREZ presets are special HSM Mega Bezel Presets that ensure that this “overload” wouldn’t take place by forcing the image to 240p before it enters the rest of the shader pipeline. They’re in the

Base_CRT_Presets_DREZ

folder in HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

Since you’re new to this forum, I invite you to try my CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack:

You’re already halfway there because you have HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader installed and setup.

2 Likes

wow, that’s a cool mod. Thanks for the heads up! :astonished:

3 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness Is the new version incoming? :slight_smile:

Thanx

3 Likes