Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

If I may be allowed a stupid question, is this only intended for use on 1x scaling? I have RetroArch nightly and my Xenogears rom on my M2 SSD with the SwanStation core, I’ve followed your instructions to the dot but find that when my core enhancements has 3x (for 720p) or 5x (for 1080p) then it just freezes and seems to never load the shader before crashing, while 1x loads it in 3-5seconds and it plays perfectly. Is this supposed to happen?

2 Likes

I love it!

3 Likes

I think it is very likely that you are running out of video ram because of the increased core resolution and this is crashing it.

This is a bigger problem with the SMOOTH-ADV presets, and would be less of an issue with the STD presets.

What res is your monitor?

If the option is available and you can increase internal resolution and then set downres (both in the core) then you may be able to get a nicer antialiasing but still with a not too high resolution. Basically anything over 640x480 going through a crt shader is not going to really show any crt visual dynamics.

There are also the DREZ presets which can take a high res image from the core and downres it in the first shader pass.

4 Likes

It’s a 1080p monitor! I have an RTX 2070 Max-Q which has 8GB VRAM so I’m not sure why it’s running out, I would expect 8GB is plenty? But I believe you’re right, I ran a log after trying the STD preset on 5x for 1080p and it seems to point that my device lacks the memory and it’s crashing if I’m understanding correct.

Not sure what you mean about downres though unfortunately, but thank you for the fast and helpful reply.

2 Likes

Turn the internal res up too far and it will crash any graphics card on the market.

Downres = some cores have the option of increasing the internal scaling to crisp the edges and then downcsale to the original resolution.

The DREZ Mega Bezel presets do the same thing. So the core increases the internal res and the shader takes the high res source and outputs it at a target resolution.

\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Base_CRT_Presets_DREZ\MBZ__3__STD__DREZ-240p__GDV.slangp

Would output at 240p, no matter what internal res you are using. You get very nice scanlines but no jaggies in the game image.

3 Likes

Plenty all depends on context. If you understand what is going on in the shader in order to make these old graphics look their best you’ll understand why it can still not be enough.

With some of the more advance CRT Shader Presets you may not even want or need to use such high internal resolutions in order to have pristine graphics because the Mask and Scanlines can handle most of that for you and the Shader can also perform upscaling internally.

So it’s like you’re trying to upscale an already highly upscaled image because the Smooth-ADV presets do this automatically, that’s why it’s easy to run out of memory.

I’ve tested my CyberLab Composite Pure and CyberLab N64 presets with N64 and I doubt I’ll ever want to or need to use anything other than 1X internal resolution in the core settings.

Same goes for Dreamcast/Naomi/Atomiswave and Sony PlayStation.

The DREZ presets are special HSM Mega Bezel Presets that ensure that this “overload” wouldn’t take place by forcing the image to 240p before it enters the rest of the shader pipeline. They’re in the

Base_CRT_Presets_DREZ

folder in HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

Since you’re new to this forum, I invite you to try my CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack:

You’re already halfway there because you have HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader installed and setup.

2 Likes

wow, that’s a cool mod. Thanks for the heads up! :astonished:

3 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness Is the new version incoming? :slight_smile:

Thanx

3 Likes

Yup, probably in the next couple of weeks :slight_smile:

Coming in that release:

• Guest NTSC
  • Post Brightness black level control
  • Ambient lighting control for all image layers
  • Fixed reflection when using crt curvature amount
  • Separate color for the frame (optionally)
  • Set screen size with physical diagonal size, e.g. 15" simulated tube on your 27" monitor
13 Likes

That is going to be an interesting one.

3 Likes

For some reason when using Duckstation and SwanStation (PSX) and activating the shaders, it freezes and gives me a windows error message and RetroArch closes. Both RetroArch and the CORES are configured with VULKAN.

Any idea what could be the problem?

1 Like

I would recommend turning down your internal resolution and MSAA under options.

2 Likes

Start with 1x or Native Internal Resolution Scale and 2x or no MSAA.

What preset are you trying to use?

Try one of the MBZ_1_ADV presets or one of the DREZ Presets.

What graphics card are you using?

2 Likes

Internal Resolution Scale was the problem leaving it at 2x works fine.

My graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q

3 Likes

I was able to do 3x and MSAA off with MBZ__3__STD. I have a 1650.

If you turn the MSAA to 2x you should be able to get 3x, but that is up to you.

2 Likes

It happens to me that the screen is stretched if I put a configuration of 3x. (Street Fighter Ex 2 Plus) I also tried with the game Mortal Kombat 4 and something similar happens.

the scaling / aspect ratio setting is: Full

3 Likes

You can force the aspect inside the shader to 4:3, you probably have it set to auto.

4 Likes

@Duimon being quick on the answer :grinning:. Just set [Aspect Ratio] Type to 2 in Shader Parameters.

4 Likes

Thanks guys. Now he was perfect.

5 Likes

Could you do me a favor and turn on the resolution info (second parameter) and post a screenshot so I can see what the core resolution was?

5 Likes