Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Hi, Can anyone help me please? I have followed the instruction for this using Retroarch but keep getting a failed to load shader error. Dont know what Im doing wrong is there a dummies guide anywhere?

1 Like

Greetings @The_Hobgoblin,

Welcome to Libretro Forums.

Which instructions did you follow and from where?

Did you follow the instructions in the first post of this thread to a tee?

What Shader Preset are you trying to load?

Also can you get us a log? This will give us some direct info about why it is failing to load.

There are instructions for how to do this in the readme.md

1 Like

What’s a good preset for GBA? :thinking:

I’m thinking about playing Mega Man Zero 3 for GBA.

1 Like

Its ok I sorted it I made a folder called Mega_Bezel_Packs in the shaders folder and put them in there. Seems to work now :smiley::smiley:

4 Likes

Greetings @HyperspaceMadness and the rest of the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader Team! Looks like more and more people are finding out about HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader!

3 Likes

Hmmm…Maybe LCD Grid or something in @Duimon’s or @hgoda90’s packs?

Some people even use CRT Presets to play GBA.

1 Like

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.0.006_2022-08-26_Rev-1

Changes:

• Adjusted Megatron parameters to remove HDR params in Mega Bezel to be simpler
  • Added additional DREZ presets

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

Here’s Megatron using 1080p mode and some additional Post CRT Brightness. Post CRT Brightness will reduce contrast, but still looks really good.

I think the 1080p feature is a super nice addition, thanks @MajorPainTheCactus

7 Likes

TLDR: when using the Sony Megatron in Mega Bezel on a HDR setup you should definitely try to have HDR enabled in RA->Video->HDR and tweak the HDR parameters there.

Thanks HSM for doing this! (And adding it into the Mega Bezel). For all those wondering why we’ve removed the specific HDR params basically it boils down to that it was just simpler in terms of the Mega Bezel framework (and support all the various shaders) to let everybody use the built in HDR shader that RA has when you switch on HDR in the menu for our normal SDR shaders.

This should give similar-ish results to the HDR standalone version of the Sony Megatron. The HDR ‘contrast’ param is the main difference (but this should probably be updated in RA to work the same as in the Sony Megatron - a future bit of work possibly).

4 Likes

The LCD-GRID would be the way to go, since the GBA has a grid style.

2 Likes

Ya’ll keep doing awesome work!

I just got back in from out of town all summer and fired up Retroarch on Steam, and much to my dismay the presets I made for the MEGA Bezel pack that came out months ago no longer work. I select them while using Vulkan mode and nothing happens. I then downloaded Duimon’s latest and those work, but I’m pretty bummed that the tweaks to shader settings I spent so much time on are no longer functional.

Any idea what happened? Any way that I can fix?

2 Likes

If you post the contents of a preset, and a log, we can probably figure out what’s wrong.

1 Like

Also if you can answer a quick question, are all your presets Simple Presets (only a #reference line and parameter values and texture paths)? Or are they Full Presets (have all the passes defined) ?

I ask this, because you are only guaranteed that Simple Presets will successfully load in the future when the Mega Bezel is updated.

Saving full presets is really discouraged and will definitely have a problem loading eventually if the Mega Bezel keeps getting updated

3 Likes

Here’s one of the presets:

https://mega.nz/file/2UsWACTR#53nvAgE43_Pr7eZ5w68KKM6ExVsq6x-4UhJqodsebxA

They define all the passes as that is how Retroarch saves them when I tweak settings.

Not if you are using a newer build of Retroarch and have the “Simple Preset” turned on in the shader dialog.

I managed to get it to load easy enough, by deleting all the pass info and adding a reference to a base preset at the top.

#reference ":/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__1__ADV__GDV.slangp"
HSM_INT_SCALE_MODE = "1.000000"
HSM_CROP_MODE = "0.000000"
HSM_CROP_PERCENT_ZOOM = "7.500000"
HSM_SCALEFX_ON = "1.000000"
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_SCANLINE_DIR = "1600.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_SCANLINE_DIR = "100.000000"
HSM_DOWNSAMPLE_BLUR_OPPOSITE_DIR = "100.000000"
HSM_INTERLACE_TRIGGER_RES = "550.000000"
HSM_INTERLACE_MODE = "1.000000"
HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "3.000000"
HSM_POST_CRT_BRIGHTNESS = "143.000000"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "216.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "127.000000"
HSM_DEVICE_SCALE_MODE = "3.000000"
HSM_DEVICE_SCALE_KEEP_ASPECT = "0.000000"
MDAPT_MODE = "2.000000"
g_crtgamut = "1.000000"
g_cntrst = "0.500000"
g_vignette = "0.000000"
GTU_ON = "1.000000"
signalResolution = "448.000000"
GDV_AFTERGLOW_THRESHOLD = "0.000000"
glow = "0.050000"
SIZEH = "7.000000"
SIGMA_H = "2.300000"
halation = "0.150000"
gamma_c = "1.640000"
beam_min = "1.000000"
beam_size = "0.000000"
vertmask = "1.000000"
spike = "2.000000"
h_sharp = "1.000003"
shadowMask = "6.000000"
maskstr = "0.400000"
maskDark = "1.000000"
deconrr = "1.000000"
deconrb = "-1.000000"
deconrry = "1.000000"
deconrby = "-1.000000"
deconsmooth = "1.000000"
addnoised = "0.120000"

I have little faith that it looks as you intend. :frowning_face: I think a lot of guest parameters have changed.

Maybe @HyperspaceMadness can chime in on what he thinks of the parameters.

2 Likes

This would be the way to migrate your old presets to new simple presets, the only thing that I would add to this is that you can keep / copy over any texture paths you changed into this new preset.

2 Likes

His preset still has the

textures = "SamplerLUT1;SamplerLUT2;SamplerLUT3;SamplerLUT4;IntroImage;ScreenPlacementImage;ColoredGelImage;TubeStaticReflectionImage;Backg

line in it so it was generated with a really old version of RA.

I’m wondering what guest params have changed in that time,

i.e. gamma_c = "1.640000" "maskstr = "0.400000"" etc.

2 Likes

So the textures line is always there in a full preset, it was the parameters = line which was removed a long time ago.

it looks like most of these parameters still the same, so if they are converted into simple presets with the adjusted parameter & texture changes your stuff should load up looking pretty much like it did before.

If you only change parameter values in Retroarch there should be no reason why you can’t save Simple Presets

2 Likes

Now I remember. It has just been a long time since I looked at a full preset. :innocent:

I didn’t see any of my graphics in the preset paths.

@MrBlastman Is this making sense to you?

2 Likes

These are some of the parameters which may have had their “behavior” changed with respect to the values applied.

Previous downsample Blur values of 100 are equivalent to either 30 or 33 now.

Post CRT Brightness of 143 is equivalent to 1.43 now.

Halation might have been changed a few times as well as bugs fixed. So depending on how old the preset is a halation value of 0.15 might be equivalent to somewhere between 0.01 and 0.03.

Things like Scanline Gamma Offset no longer exist. Now we have Scanline Gamma in its place.

Then there were the changes to the base presets themselves with the addition of the SMOOTH-ADV base preset and some recent changes to base preset defaults, which might affect shader presets which don’t have those values explicity set.

One example of this is Opposite Dir Multiplier. If you didn’t set it explicitly in your preset, it’s now going to be 125 instead of 100. Which means a change in Scanline count.

Then there’s the Deconvergence Noise that was decoupled from the Deconvergence and given a new toggle. So that would probably have to be toggled On and a new preset saved.

That goes for Deconvergence too. It has an On/Off Toggle.

1 Like