Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

That’s great to know, I’ve just been reloading the preset when I get the settings too out there and can’t figure out how to get them back to default.

The only settings I modified was the screen scale, I didn’t touch any other setting for the shader.

2 Likes

Hi @lilbud,

it’s very interesting that you have a completely different approach on how to realize overlays with the shader. You use the overlay feature from RetroArch. The RetroArch overlay is applied on top of the shader. That’s why you cut out the area where the the HSM’s generic bezel and frame are created.

When you take a closer look at my screenshots from April, 23rd (the ones with green and amber screens :wink:), you will see that I used 2 completely different ways to realize the reflecting bezels.

For the first one with the Sony monitor I used this png:

As you can see I didn’t cut out the area for the generic bezel. Instead I used this picture as background image of the shader (you can easily define a custom filename by editing the slangp-shader preset with a text editor; the picture has to be located in the “textures”-folder right here: \shaders\shaders_slang\crt\shaders\HyperspaceMadness\textures)

Now the reflection bezel is being generated on top of my image. No need to cut out the area, as the shader generates an output area that covers everything which is below. Next I removed the frame thickness by setting it to 0, and I set “blend color with image” to 1.00, as well as the bezel opacity. So NO bezel or frame are visible, with the result that the reflection appears on the original frame of my background picture, which makes ít look really realistic. Of course it’s a bit tricky because you have to match the geometry of the (invisible) generated bezel to the real bezel. It does not work out very well every time (with all my overlay images), but when it does, it looks amazing!

When you take a look at my other screenshots: I did not succeed to match an invisible bezel with the “natural” bezel of my green monitor setup, so in this case I just used the generated bezel as “overlapping overlay” and tried to match its color, so it fits the rest of my background bezel.

For my amber image on the other hand, I managed to fit the bezel very good, so that I could keep the original bezel while setting to generated bezel to “invisible”.

I’m not sure if anyone will completely understand what I tried to say, so in this case please take a closer look at my screenshots and how the bezels look like. You will find a great difference between the bezel reflections of the Sony and the Amber monitor compared to the Green and the wooden monitor.

Anyway, it’s amazing how many possibilities the vast amount of parameters from HSM’s reflection shader is offering. It’s incredible! That’s why I must say again: @HyperspaceMadness is legend! :grin:

yeah, that pvm image was the first one I made, using a screenshot from a youtube video as the pvm frame. It wasn’t as high quality as I would have liked.

The second one using the generated bezel because that was a better method than having the bezel in the overlay and having to result to weird transparency to get the reflection to show through.

Yup. According to your setup files you sent @Syh you still use the RetroArch overlay feature, and not the BackgroundImage or OverlayImage from the shader. That’s what I wanted to point out.

I started using RetroArch overlays a long time ago, but stopped using it because of missing automatic aspect ratio functionalities (I use my setup for different monitors and TVs with all kinds of resolutions and aspect ratios). And trying to fit all variations with pixel-exact viewport sizes was a big mess :joy:

Now HSM’s reflection shader does it all for me :+1:

1 Like

I have a JVC broadcast monitor here if anyone wanted me to take pictures of it to use a a overlay

2 Likes

Nice! Glad it’s working for you.

Just to mention if it’s something anyone needs, if you set the background image scaling mode to 0 (Auto) all the textures background and overlay will scale with the screen. So if you make an oversized texture it can be used with all different monitor aspect ratios

2 Likes

When I set the image scale to 0, the background image displays past the screen top edge and loops to the bottom. Can the bezel be adjusted independently of the background? Because I think that causes the issue.

Making the image part of the shader makes installation easier, but the bezel doesn’t look as natural as it did when I made the image the overlay, since the tv overlays the bezel, the bezel actually looks like part of the tv as opposed to being on top of it.

Can you post an image of this so I can see what it might be? To get the image to scale correctly to the tv tube you want to adjust [BG IMAGE] Tube Height (in Texture) until it fits.

Right now when the image runs out it will start to wrap, I’m not sure if this is what you are seeing or not.

1 Like

Look at the bottom of the screenshot he posted that’s where it’s wrapping the top of the image down to the bottom. The gray bar and different wood texture at the bottom is it wrapping, which you did mention wrapping and this may be it.

This may not be what you were asking though, if so sorry.

Got the background image in place, but the bezel and frame is still locked to the background image, so I can’t move the bezel into it’s proper place.

1 Like

Did you update your shader pack to the newest version (I guess it’s from April, 21st)?. I had the same problem with the shader version from April, 19th. HSM then corrected the shader so that it works for me like expected.

Yeah, the shader is the most up to date version. I’m just trying to make it auto so all I have to upload for others is the shader preset file and background image and not have to include custom video settings

1 Like

If you have the image scale mode set to 1 or 2 then the background and overlay image will be locked to the monitor/viewport, and when you change the position x & y the frame/bezel & tube will move around without affecting the background & overlay texture placement.

Currently in mode 0 (auto mode) there isn’t any way to shift the texture relative to the tube & bezel.

Let me know how it is set up and maybe I can help you.

1 Like

changed setting to fullscreen and it works perfectly now.

4 Likes

Something I was talking to HSM about earlier. Never mind my friend. Though I haven’t tweaked the reflection distance yet, it appears the current tool-set you have provided is sufficient.

I just used the existing image. :blush:

3 Likes

what does reflection distance actual do or change?

I am using the same technique that @lilbud is using in the post just before mine. We are using an unmodified background and turning the opacity down on both the generated bezel and frame so that the reflection is on the background image. My reflection just extends too far in this quick test, it is still using the default distance.

test2

2 Likes

This is what I consider to be the standard way to do this. If the outer edge of the. Bezel is rectangular then you clip the reflection to fit inside the image be adjusting the bezel width and height, these control the clipping of the reflection.

If you have a non standard situation where the outside of the bezel is somewhat oval instead of rectangular you have a couple options,

• One is to reduce the radial fade width & height so it fades out before it gets to the outer edge of the bezel in your image
  • Another is to set the overlay image to be an image with the inside of the bezel cut out. This covers up the reflection that is going over the bezel edge in the image.

I think at some point when this thing is totally mature I should make a pdf guide which shows how to set up various things with accompanying images.

2 Likes

@Duimon @lilbud

Anything you can do with these would be awesome!

Sony PVM-2950QM With Speakers

Sony PVM-2950QM

Sony PVM-14

Sony PVM-2130QM

Sony PVM-2730Q

Sony PVM20

Hantarex EQ3 21

Hantarex EQ3 25

Hantarex EQ3 29

Hantarex MGG 15

Hantarex BL28

Hantarex EQ28

Phillips CRT 21PT3326

Edit: Cleaned up the space and added Model number to the monitors/tv.

4 Likes