Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

When i tested my setup which involved mip-mapping ‘enabled’ i got similar issues which i had to resolve with a stock pass with 1x scaling (new NTSC preset). When the prior pass had mip-mapping and some sort of scaling, then i run into a very similar situation as above. Just mentioning, maybe it could help.

4 Likes

Thanks!, You are right that this is an issue related to power of two scaling. Stella / Atari 2600 outputs 228p which divides by 4 but not by 16, so when I was scaling down by 16 then back up by 16 to do my caching pass it would mess up the resolution.

I’ve fixed this on my side so it will be in the next update :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Mega Bezel is updated to V 0.9.012 2021-05-10

Changes:

• Fixed Parameters not showing up in the right place
  • Fixed Sampling Problem in Advanced presets
6 Likes

Things are still a bit weird. :frowning_face: There are only 3 settings in the [BEZEL GENERAL] and the rest are in the [BRIGHTNESS & GAMMA].

Also, the [BEZEL & FRAME COLOR] and [FRAME] are right below the [BRIGHTNESS & GAMMA] instead of where they belong, right below [BEZEL GENERAL].

1 Like

Can you try grabbing the package again and trying it? Maybe it hadn’t uploaded yet I just tried this on my side and it looks correct with all the parameters in the Bezel General section…

1 Like

All better now! :grin: It sure is pretty.

1 Like

Whew!!! :flushed: It just hadn’t synced, glad it’s good now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Great news! I never managed to resolve the stutter issue on my current system, but recently I did snag an RTX 3070, so we’ll be able to determine definitively whether it was a power issue, and hopefully I will be able to use the latest version of the shader. I’m considering upgrading to a 1440p monitor to really appreciate the details in modern sharers, this one in particular, but I’m curious how things look at integer scale on PSX? This is what my screen currently looks like at integer scale with the mega bezel reflection shader at 1080p. I’ve read that integer scale on 1440p monitors fits the screen more snuggly, but I’m concerned it will cut off the bezels on the bottom if that’s true.

2 Likes

This is what it looks like with 1440p vertical

Depending on your uses and if you only do retro gaming, you could go to 4K, I run 4K with a RTX 2060 using the most advanced mega bezel and get about 90fps

2 Likes

Where exactly in the parameters do I find the option to place the screen using this method? Still working on my arcade, dual screen fun…this would definitely help with some of the tinkering I’m doing on the portrait screen.

1 Like

Hi, it’s here:

[ EXTENDED SCALING ]_______
    Use Image For Placement (Scale & Y Pos)

Let me know how it goes

The easiest way to setup is to make your background with the transparency where the screen would be, then use it for both:

ScreenPlacementImage
BackgroundImage
2 Likes

Howdy,

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve had a couple of attempts at using it with the 4K Vertical Arcade overlays. It’s been a little tricky for me for a few reasons…the first being, @Duimon has us spoiled with all of his presets, the second being, the need to learn a lot about managing arcade Romsets and configs for both Launchbox and RA and finally I’m doing it all using FB Neo (because that’s the matching non merged set that I have) which is a rotational mindf*ck with the shader!

Rant complete and with all that said…I’m getting somewhere…

Same game with two different set ups

I now have things set up so I can run horizontal or vertical games on either the Landscape monitor or the portrait monitor…after giving each its own platform in Launchbox. I’m using the second instance of RA for the portrait screen at the moment…I’ll look at pulling it all back into one instance at some point, I think I can do it but it’s a little easier this way given that multiple option files per game are thing I’m having to deal with.

Placing the screen based on the transparent area does appear to be working for me so far. I’m using the Guest Dr Venom CRT base shader as a starting point, then setting the images in the preset file to point at the 4K verticals as you advised, getting al the rotation setting worked out and then setting “Use Image For Placement (Scale & Y Pos)” to 1. It seems to slotting the screen into place. Does that sound about right to you?

Thank again for the help, much appreciated. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yup, sounds right, there’s also a scaling offset right near the use placement image if you need to adjust it a bit after the auto placement.

@HyperspaceMadness

I’d love to see TVout-tweaks added to the shader stack, if possible. You can recreate Blargg’s RGB filter by maximizing the horizontal bandwidth and enabling “TV color levels.” (thanks, @butanebob!)

4 Likes

Hey @HyperspaceMadness do you have any plans to update the Guest-Dr-Venom to the latest version? (with new curvature, etc.)

4 Likes

Yup, I’ve got plans :wink:

GDV-Advanced is in the works, I’m just working out how to work in all the wonderful things @guest.r has made in his latest Shader.

I’ll be updating curvature, probably use Guest’s latest for 2D I think (It looks pretty nice and compact), and I need to bring in Crt-Geom’s curvature for a curvature with tilt which is faster than the Royale Curvature.

6 Likes

I’ll have to take a look at exactly what this is doing. We already have GTU which is a bandwidth effect with optional composite colors. And we have Grade which has a ton of extensive color correction.

Is this similar to NTSC Adaptive?

Can you post the simplest preset you can which shows the TVout-tweaks and settings to get the effect you are looking for?

2 Likes

edit: okay, definitely not the same as Blargg’s RGB filter, at least from what I can see. :frowning: Might need to play with it some more.

tvouttweaks with lowered signal resolution

gtuv50 with lowered signal resolution.

#reference "shaders_slang/crt/tvout-tweaks.slangp"
TVOUT_RESOLUTION = "1024.000000"
TVOUT_TV_COLOR_LEVELS = "1.000000"
1 Like

I just love these shaders, they’re soo nice! But I’m having some trouble finding a good look on PSX games. 2D and 3D require different ones, anyone have any recommendations?

2 Likes

Hi, I’ve been playing RA with HSM Mega Bezel few months And very impressed. This is my best emul gaming experience ever. Thanks for your work.

I got a couple of questions.

1. I’m a 1080P monitor user. And There’re a tons of parameters in HSM Mega Bezel shader options. I want to get the best result, but don’t know what to do. Is there a recommended setting for 1080P monitors?

2. People say that some RA shaders show much better quality when they run at 1440p or 4K monitors. Does HSM Mega Bezel can show dramatic changes by resolutions too? If that is true, I will consider buying higher resolution monitor.

3 Likes