Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Messing around with the newest version. Would it be possible to have the vertical height modifiable? Kinda like the video aspect ratio setting?

And maybe an option to only curve certain edges? Like have the top be squared off but allow the bottom to be curved.

Any chance this can be ported to standalone MAME shader?

What exactly are you asking for?

Are you asking for the bezel reflection to be added to the mame-hlsl shader?

Or are you asking for the bezel-reflection guest shader combo to be ported over to the standalone MAME emulator?

Well im guessing the reflection cant be added to the hlsl shader?..can it???

So i was asking along the lines of BGFX that MAME uses as crt-geom was converted over to MAME using BGFX

i mean if the reflection bezel was able to be added to HLSL that would be the best as im a strong supporter of HLSL as it is very versatile!, but the MAME devs seem not to be that bothered about it…or so it seems

I’m still a little lost, are you wanting this for the retroarch MAME core or for it to be added to a MAME shader?

It should be able to to be added to the Retroarch version of the MAME hlsl shader, but I’m not sure about it being ported over to actual MAME.

You can already adjust the vertical height check out the settings for height in the bezel reflection settings, the height cutoff will adjust where the reflection gets clipped off.

I was thinking this might be needed as well, but I’m thinking we could control the reflection outer edge so it is kept within the visual bezel better by spliting the bezel/overlay image into 2 parts, one which goes under the reflection and one that goes overtop it. The one on the top would be transparent where the bezel & reflection are supposed to be revealed. Once the automatic bezel generation is in this will be needed anyway. This would avoid having to edit clipping/curvature per edge and allow you to have complete control of the outer edge where the reflection cuts off.

It might technically possible, but this is not something I would personally pursue.

It’s not so much the height of the reflection, it’s more the height on the image itself.

You might be able to see on this screenshot, the top left and right corners. The image is not tall enough for the bezel, if it were moved up the fit the top, the bottom wouldn’t match up. If it is scaled too much, the top looks weird and a lot of the game is cut off.

1 Like

Thats a shame as the MAME core for RA is not that great as it stands

Yes there are a couple ways to fix this, you can adjust scl_scale_offset to adjust the scale of the screen and also change the position offset.

If you are using the auto scaling for the bezel you will have to adjust the scale offset settings on it or can you can set the bezel scaling to fullscreen and it won’t scale with the screen size.

Sorry for the late reply. The afterglow is applied only on black/nearly black colors to match real crt behaviour. If black point is raised by some values, the formerly black colors don’t pass the afterglow check.

2 Likes

Both these images are taken using exactly the same settings. As you can see the title image is perfectly balanced. but gameplay has an unwanted overscan effect visible on the left.

Any idea how to remove this?

1 Like

That’s an issue with master system emulation…

2 Likes

I think this game looks like this on the real system in that particular area.

3 Likes

I decreased a little the black level (-0.02) to show the scanlines in black areas and I maintained the afterglow.

Does this combination not exist in a real CRT?

1 Like

I’m not a fan of the afterglow. I don’t think it is so noticeable on a CRT, i need to check my arcade monitor when i get the chance.

Take some photos.

Thanks!

If this left empty bar bothers you a lot you can crop it off with the scl_crop_overscan_left setting. The master system is one reason I put that part in the shader.

I think I might still need to put the cropping into the easy mode version of the shader

3 Likes

I finished the Sony PVM version of this shader (I can make a new thread if not wanted here)

Link to the customized version of the shader and overlay: https://github.com/lilbud/RetroPie-Overlays/blob/master/PVM%20SHADER%20AND%20OVERLAY.7z?raw=true

I tried to copy the folder structure from the version of the shader here on the forum. So it is a similar process to copy the files from the zip file to the shaders folder.

Do note, the version posted here is meant for a 1366x768p display (only ones I own at the moment) so some tweaks will be in order for a higher resolution display.

Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

3 Likes

I need some help with modifying this shader. Using the version on this forum, I have no problems, but when I use my customized version, that’s when the problems start.

I used SNES9X to set it up originally, but I’ve found that the shader completely screws up with other systems. N64 makes a grid of very tiny bezels, and nes is about half the size of the cutout.