I wrote a new image interpolation shader. Is this worth pursuing?

Hey there :slight_smile:

Thanks to Covid-19 (again!) I have been messing around with image interpolation, and I’m finally getting results that are close to what I’d want, which is a more pixel art-friendly anti-aliasing/edge interpolation hybrid. It doesn’t look right just yet, but I’m starting to wonder if there would be an audience for this, as it behaves differently than any other shader I’ve tried. Here are a few screenshots! (you can tell that there are still a few artifacts in certain areas :frowning: )

8 Likes

I’m not particularly a fan of doing this to pixel art, that being said though, there’s most certainly an audience for this.

I’ve seen multiple people in the forums that love this look for pixel art.

So you should go ahead with it, imo.

My “complaint” aside, this is one of the better implementations of this from a looks perspective that I’ve seen.

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah I feel like other shaders of this type tend to denature the original picture too much or create these weird staircase effects, so I tried to respect the source as much as possible. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Np, yeah I’m just a grouchy old man, lol.

Yes this does seem alot more (subdued? subtle?) then other implementations of this I’ve seen.

1 Like

Well the secret plan when I’m done with this is to slap a CRT shader on top and get games to look like an idealized version of themselves. :smirk:

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen people do this as well.

If I was ever going to use this kind of shader that’s what if do as well, lol.

Could we get some screens of that currently (crt on top of this)? I feel that’d be pretty interesting to see, not downplaying this, as it is cool.(CRT shaders are just more my speed if you know what I mean, plus I’m curious about this juxtaposition.)

1 Like

It’s very much content dependent for me with these kind of shaders, Tiny Toons looks nice, the rest rather bad imho.

Looks good to me :slight_smile:

I’m curious to see your technique.

3 Likes

@Syh I’ll get to my computer soon and I’ll do just that :slight_smile:

@hunterk I’ll post the code soon enough but what I do is for each fragment, I sample 4 points in a line, multiple times in a circle, and then I check the difference and see which 4 points are the closest in color to the color at the origin. I then interpolate the 4 selected colors with the base color. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Alright here you go. There might be some inconsistencies with the CRT shader between shots because I took a scanline version and a shadow mask version for each shot, but I’m sure it will suffice :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer the screens with the mask. I do like this marginally better then the just smoothed shots though.

1 Like

Honestly, to each their own. I like different things for different times and games and sometimes I just like it when pixels make themselves scarce :blush: I will gladly take requests if you, or anyone, has games in mind that would benefit!

1 Like

I wasn’t try to say was better then the other I was just saying that was my preference, lol. Sorry if it came off that way.

I don’t know if it would benefit but metal slug 2 would be cool.

1 Like

No worries I didn’t take it like that either :slight_smile: here you go. I think it does better with the backgrounds IMO

2 Likes

Yeah the backgrounds do look pretty decent, as well as the boss fights. The character portraits look nice as well.

1 Like

Also, fun factoid, here’s the edge detection data I get. I don’t think I’m using it well enough just yet :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I just realized that it can also do things for 3D games.

I think it out-FXAAs FXAA for example (same performance hit, at 1x):

FXAA:

Experiment:

2 Likes

This point is interesting. The out-FXAAs FXAA made me laugh.

Also wtf you bring up it being good for 3D and give us a title screen, you should’ve went in game, lol.

Look forward to some 3D screens though. Please don’t take offense to this post, I feel like I have jokes today for some reason.

1 Like

Is it sad that this is the first game I thought of? I can’t think of a good example, and I figured the black background made the comparison easier :joy:

1 Like

I wasn’t complaining about game choice I was complaining about using one of the least 3D parts of the game, lol. :joy:

1 Like