Is this possible to fix with a shader?

As some people now, I like what Waifu2x does. But that’s not why I am here… well… my question is if this kind of effect is possible with a shader that works with the super xbr preset. To the left is Waifu2x and the other one is not. I am wondering if it is possible to get that kind of “smoothing” effect when pixels next to each other are almost the same color. I mean, on the emulator it just looks bad when that happens. I can’t believe getting a similar effect can be impossible, right? Well, I would be very happy if someone could come up with a solution :slight_smile: Thanx! /Mike

You can try the denoisers/fast-bilateral-super-xbr.cgp and nedi/fast-bilateral-nedi.cgp presets. You might also try replacing fast bilateral in those presets with blurs/bilateral.cg.

Thanx. But i tried it. Did not do mucj difference.

well, fast-bilateral does exactly what you described, i.e. blending together pixels that are close to the same color, and you can increase the intensity of the effect using the shader parameters. However, it’s still not going to look like waifu’s denoising, which is part of its neural net recognition thing.

That is also something I am wonderung about. When I change intensity on some filters they simply seem to stop working. I think bilateral dont seem to do anything. I am not sure though about their exact names. I am at work now will check it when I get home.