Japanese arcade style display shaders

I saw this in a mame thread. Someone achieved the look through HLSL shaders in mame.

Has anyone come close mimicing a similar style with RetroArch shaders ? A similarly nicely looking effect can be seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GdA657DZIw

(the game is super contra)

More:

Sure, it can be done, we just need to know what defines the look. As in, what separates it from any other CRT?

For contra you can try to go into Mame GUI (tab or L2) , slider control, and use:

brightness=“0.850000” contrast=“1.450000” gamma=“0.800000”

for super contra:

brightness=“0.690000” contrast=“1.500000”

for sf2ce:

brightness=“0.890000” contrast=“1.100000”

With any CRT shader you like on top (I’m using crt-geom with 2.4 gamma here). Then you can add a bit of blue tint to get closer to those shots.

If you can wait i’m working on a arcade-style CGA look for the next iteration of my analog pack. One will be more of a early 80s real bloomy look and feel that goes good with old low-res black background arcade games, and another more 90s style monitor. This might get you close to what you are wanting to achieve.

To me that shadow mask is way too strong, maybe make it a bit more subtle and make add more scanline definition?

This is what i current have…

something more like this?

That’s really nice… could you share those shaders with us?

Those look great guys, i love your shaders solid12345 - can’t wait for your next analog shader pack, an arcade pack would be fantastic.

I actually love your vintage TV alternative shader, it goes into the right direction of what i want

no classical scanlines though, and i think it could need a little more blur, it seems still a bit too pixel perfect. See how the shading on the nose is comparatively hard next to the one i posted before ? Much more linear in the mame HLSL solution

Also what R4Zi3L said, would be great if you could release the preset for your configuration BlockABoots! Looks great.

Thanks for the values Tatsuya79! They’re pretty good

I agree with R4Zi3L and andawra, it would be awesome if you provided your preset BlockABoots. It looks amazing in those screenshots.

BlockABoots shader looks like CRT-geom with a few tweaks to me, but I could be mistaken. Andawra, you probably want to try a shader with vertical scanlines and a less visible mask for your game. Horizontal lines won’t give you the effect you’re looking for.

Yea you’re right. Any suggestions of shader combinations ? I’m not that well versed on the different shaders and their effects.

I don’t know of any for RA, unfortunately. You can use FB Alpha instead of Mame and it will rotate shaders that way automatically. Geom is a good one to use with it, but it only gives you the scanlines, not smooth the pixels. I don’t know if that’s a function of the game or the shaders more. I’m thinking you could use the image adjustment shader to find the right balance, but haven’t tested it too much. Hope that helps a little at least.

Im actually using crt-easymode-halation.

Im using a 1440p monitor so i cant say how the below settings will turn out for anyone else, but can give you a baseline to tweak to your liking…

GAMMA_INPUT = “2.400000” GAMMA_OUTPUT = “2.300000” SHARPNESS_H = “0.700000” SHARPNESS_V = “1.000000” MASK_TYPE = “2.000000” MASK_STRENGTH_MIN = “0.080000” MASK_STRENGTH_MAX = “0.080000” MASK_SIZE = “1.000000” SCANLINE_STRENGTH_MIN = “0.850000” SCANLINE_STRENGTH_MAX = “0.750000” SCANLINE_BEAM_MIN = “0.250000” SCANLINE_BEAM_MAX = “0.400000” GEOM_CURVATURE = “0.030000” GEOM_WARP = “0.030000” GEOM_CORNER_SIZE = “0.020000” GEOM_CORNER_SMOOTH = “150.000000” INTERLACING_TOGGLE = “1.000000” HALATION = “0.040000” DIFFUSION = “0.040000” BRIGHTNESS = “1.000000”

Here is a quick and dirty vertical scanline implementation using Hyllians glow and dotmask.cg. Just save as a .cgp in your shaders_cg\crt folder.

It’s not soft like the Contra photo but is decent enough. A version more like the original image is on my to-do list.

http://pastie.org/10766777