Just reporting the performance of some PSP games on a pi 4

Hello friends just reporting Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus and Tales of Eternia do not play that well on LR PPSSPP,in fact GGXXAC has choppy audio

In the contrary and surprisingly Fate/Unlimited Codes plays perfect with some very occasional hiccup even being a fully 3D game

My setup is a pi 4 8 GB model with a Cooler master pi case 40 overclocked with the following parameters

arm_freq=1950 gpu_freq=700 over_voltage=6 gpu_mem=256

I am also using OpenGL FKMS

If you are starving for a modern-ish fighting game with long chains and frenetic adrenaline pumping action your best bets are BlazBlue Continuum Shift II, BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend or Fate/Unlimited Codes, stay clear of Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus, and for action RPGs YS Seven is your best bet if you are using LR PPSSPP

I know the standalone PPSSPP (it is a rule on most emulators) things run much better than in Libretro but a friend told me it did not ran well on his pi 4 4 GB and standalone PPSSPP

Note: I am currently using RetroPie, but either way I wanted to share my discoveries as I did in the RetroPie forum and I did not wanted to keep you without the knowledge as I see it as a resource to be shared and I am doing so

Question for Raspberry pi Lakka users: how Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus runs on Lakka? Have you managed to make it run on either LR PPSSPP? If it does please let me know and I will get Lakka right away

There are a few hardware-rendered cores where there’s a difference of as much as ~10%, and some isolated people get awful performance vs standalones (like, unusably slow vs fine; but this is probably related to individual settings/setup), but generally cores run similarly in RetroArch vs standalone.

I see, it is very interesting to say the least… I am enjoying a lot my Raspberry pi 4 as my retro console TBH

1 Like

If your a fan JRPG’s check out Summon Night 5 for psp or may Legends of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. PSP on my RPI4 build for the most part has a history of some fighting games not working well, Blazblue would crash sometimes due to the move intro. I havent gone back to those games in a while to see how they are now because one of the newer issues I had with my nightly build was a sound issue and some lag back in March with multiple cores. I do wonder if everyone has the PSP asset/bios folder when using that core.

Another title to check out for a SJRPG is Disgaea 1 and 2. But they feel a bit slow and outdated compared to their newer ported remastered versions. Mega Man Powered Up should run fine, if you need the DLC for It I know where to point you too. I don’t think I can say or post the site link here though.

update: There was a issue with movie intro’s lagging on RPi builds but it has been fixed. These were tested on versions 3.0 stable aarch64 More games that run fine on PPSSPP for RPI 4

• Metal Slug XX ---- runs fine
  • Disgaea Infinte – runs fine
  • Tomb Raider Legends – Has lag, its one of those games that should be played without lag
  • Star Ocean: First Depature - Runs really good
  • Star Ocean: Second Evolution — runs fine
  • Corpse Party — Runs really good
  • Riveria: The Promised Land – Runs good
1 Like