Kronos very poor compatibility and peformance

Like this?

1 Like

Is it lossless chd v5 ? Afaik v4 wasn’t lossless

yes it’s s V5 chd file

I confirm this issue on Sega Rally Championship (USA). Afaik, that’s the only version of the game having this issue, so until it’s fixed, i recommend using another region, or using Sega Rally Championship Plus (USA works for this one).

Indeed, the Plus version of Sega Rally Works great. Another little bug I encountered, Fantasy Zone runs without sound.

Pretty odd, but the latest Kronos, at least in standalone, the Kronos cached interpreter is slower, to where it performs the same as the actual interpreter. 1.5.0 has some bugs.

I’d like to give it try, Bettle Saturn saves files in .bkr and .bcr, the first for internal memory (32 KB), the latter the external memory cart (512 KB), Kronos creates a .srm file (64 KB), is there a way to make a Bettle Saturn save file be converted so Kronos can read it?

1 Like

I need to do this as well. SS Backup RAM Parser can read all saves, including Kronos’, but I don’t know how to get compatible srms out of it.

I was able to convert my old SSF saves for Mednafen, but doing it for Kronos is not so easy.

I disabled the external memory cart stuff because i wanted to force the 4MB Extended RAM cartridge for ease of use (~40 games need this stuff, see https://segaretro.org/Extended_RAM_Cartridge). However, the internal memory should be 32kb indeed, i’ll look at this stuff.

3 Likes

Internal memory + 4mb ram cart sounds like a great idea. I tried opening a Kronos srm with notepad to see if I could find any clues, and this is what I got (I will post only a few lines)

Notice the ÿ characters, which probably shouldn’t be there. Removing them results in this, which makes more sense and actually makes the file 32kb in size. Which apparently makes sense too.

I hope this helps.

It seems there are several issues with the saves :

• while they are saved into the srm files, it doesn’t seem they are loaded when you restart the game, save implementation might be wrong in the libretro port (it works in standalone version though)
  • the ÿ is indeed weird, seems like they are “FF” (hexadecimal) inserted between each characters, the content might be close/identical to mednafen’s if we manage to remove them.

Edit : actually, i think Kronos save format might be the same as ssf save format

Today I tried Kronos and was a little bit surprised about the issues. I also had lags and some strange rendering issues. Moreover I thought Kronos can filter textures in a bilinear manner.

kronos used to be interesting in that it offerd perspective correction. A few years ago this feature got broken so there is no reason to use this core IMO.

@papermanzero hard to say what was your issue without knowing anything about your setup and the games you ran, in the first place Kronos is not glitchless, no emulator is afaik.

@GemaH well, don’t stay with the default perspective correction setting, maybe ? you can use gpu/cpu tesselation as workarounds for the wobbling issue if your gpu/cpu are good enough, and the new opengl CS renderer is an accurate VDP1 renderer (it renders quads line per line, same as original hardware, using compute shaders) which totally deprecates this setting if you got a sufficiently powerful gpu. Anyway, even if i didn’t communicate about it, hearing that there is no reason to use this core because a specific feature XXX is missing, while the core actually has the best version of this feature XXX, which required around a year of work, is rather unfair.

1 Like

Any setting i tried didn’t give me results nearly as good as when i first tried the emulator. I remember being very impressed as i had never seen Saturn games look this way. But after an update or two, i could never achieve the same good result. And i didnt backup the core back then so i cant post some screens.

Anyway Its been a couple of months since i last tested this so ill give it a try to see if something changed. I admit i was harsh though, i only use Mednafen since my system can handle it and the rock solid graphics of Kronos was the only thing thay made me use it. So apologies if i was unfair.

No problem, my bad too for not writing a progress report for a long time. If you got a powerful gpu, the “OpenGL CS” video renderer is highly recommended. The old OpenGL renderer is mainly kept for performance & compatibility reasons.

@GemaH btw, i finally wrote a progress report

2 Likes

You should be more specific. This sort of complaints adds nothing. What game were you running? What are those strange rendering issues?

Kronos is great, and can make 3D Saturn games look fantastic.

I tried this updated version today. I still can’t find any combination of options that will make the polygons stable without the “wobbling” effect the Saturn and Playstation had.

I know it’s the accurate behavior but i specifically remember an older version of Kronos having the option to remove the wobbling and make everything look rock solid. It looked amazing but it’s not working anymore and i don’t know if i’m doing something wrong. I tried OpenGL CL with perspective correction or tessalation and i don’t see any differences.

1 Like

@GemaH when you say it’s currently wobbling and it wasn’t in the past, do you mean it was better than this ? Or do you have a different result ?

I don’t remember it being any better in the past :thinking:, and tbh i’m not sure it’s technically possible to furthermore improve this without implementing something to replace textures with HD versions. At the very least i don’t think the current level of “wobbling” in Kronos is any worse than Mednafen’s.

Edit : it seems i’m being trolled by retroarch’s audio sync when recording :thinking: