Lakka - Composite Output to CRT is broken on Pi 3

Downloaded the new Lakka release and it doesn’t seem to work on the Pi 3?

I tried updating my previous Lakka by dumping the image into .update, didn’t boot to the Lakka UI.

Then I tried a fresh install but it it doesn’t boot as above.

It works for me, are you using the correct image?

I’m using the correct image for the Model Pi 3 model B.

Which Raspberry Pi model are you using?

I’m having trouble with this too, and I suspect it’s all related to the changes made to the rpi firmware and fkms drivers. I’ve scouted around a bit and saw that other people have been having issues with this on rpi4’s, but this is also an issue with LibreELEC at its core as well. I suspect it’s also affected by the new firmware and drivers. LibreELEC bootloops when using composite and never reaches KODI’s ui. Lakka 2.3 for me just hangs at the flower ever since updating.

I also have a PINN/NOOBS install that I updated and it exhibited the same behavior. So I tested out a bootable USB and sure enough it did the same thing. The Lakka devs might be aware of it now and fixing the issue, and I hope that’s what’s causing composite to not work on Pi 3 and 3+ as well.

2 Likes

Sounds plausible - I’m using composite too.

1 Like

On composite here too. Hangs at the flower.

Boots ok on HDMI. Have tried both NTSC modes over composite, interlaced and progressive.

UPDATE: the old nightly from 8-3-19 also doesn’t work. Will have to wait for a fix unless I can find an old image for Lakka 2.2.

Okay guys,

I’ve found a “work-around” for v2.3.1 :slight_smile:

I could solve this issue by following the hints regarding updating the firmware files manually given at https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/11921 … #post84908 :

I downloaded bootcode.bin, start_x.elf and fixup_x.dat from the RPi firmware github repository at https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware … aster/boot, renamed start_x.elf to start.elf and fixup_x.dat to fixup.dat and copied the 3 files to the /flash partition - problem solved!

3 Likes

Ok, got some time to finally try this. The fix works, but R.I.P. 240p.

240p system files DO NOT WORK with current LAKKA.

This was the best thing about the PI for emulation, without it, it’s useless to me. Going to take a look at Mister system as an alternative.

:(:(:frowning:

sorry to bring this old thread back up.

the nightly build for pi2,3 2-13-20 seems to boot over composite (also 240p). an earlier nightly build after version 2.3.2 may also work

I use a retrotink hat for svideo, but have always needed to initially boot over the composite to do some configuration. Hope this helps.

@Fallon I’ve been wanting to look into mister, but the svideo options are slim to none, did you ever go down this path?

Thanks for the heads up. Seems to boot fine now - nice to have my old 240 Pi working again.

I have MiSTer. There’s add-on device I can buy to get S-Video / Composite functioning on it (https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/vga-composite-s-video-adapter/) However, I gather that some of the cores only support PAL or NTSC, sometimes neither or not both, so it seems like a hit or miss affair.

If I can get hold of a component TV, then component video is easy and can be done from the HDMI port with a supported VGA to Component updater, or my VGA on the IOBoard. Component seems to be the preferred route for many and seems to be supported.

As a sidenote, MiSTer works great on HDMI, has nice scanline options and latency seems very low. Lakka allows a greater variety of arcade games, MiSter at the moment is quite limited in the the number of arcade games, although it’s getting better. MiSTer is easier to set up and maintain compared to Lakka, with a simpler UI. If you enjoy C64 or Amiga plus SNES, Megadrive, NES, it’s fantastic.

1 Like

That’s cool. Thanks for the adapter link. I would likely use for NES/GEN/SNES for now, and arcade down the road. Goal is to eventually have the super NT and mega SG.

Seems like sdtv_mode=16 is all you need to enable 240p. Looks like the 240p system files have been integrated into Lakka.

If you have MiSter, then you probably don’t need the NT and SG, unless you want to play with real cartridges and look at a nice console shell.

2 Likes