Lakka lacks crt support?

So I did some more tinkering. I adopted @ELZ timings and that made the Lakka flower appear to be the correct aspect ratio, but rgui still appeared super squished (like, appeared as a vertical band in the center of the TV, about 3 inches wide). I though that the whole retroarch output was displayed in this vertical band, but I was wrong. I fiddled with the cfg, and gave it an invalid option, and when I started retroarch, even though the rgui menu was in the center, the notification popped up in the bottom left corner of the screen (though it was also squished similarly). I then switched back to xmb, and its almost useable, except that you can’t actually see what you have selected, because the aspect ratio of the text and menu is all messed up. This makes me think that the issue is a retroarch CFG issue, and not a video output issue, but I have no idea what to change to help the situation. I’ve tried messing with the custom viewport size and that didn’t seem to change anything. One thing I notices which is odd, is that the background swoosh on the xmb is not distorted at all, only the text is distorted.

I’m also getting a pretty severe 45 degree scanline artifact (45 degree angle scrolling upwards) with these timings. Again, I have no idea what I"m doing with timings, but every time I try to mess with them I break it. Again, any advise would be helpful, as I am just stabbing in the dark here. I think I’m on to something but need just a little bit of assistance to get me across the finish line.

Just a quick note regarding the hdmi timings that I use: I use a horizontal resolution of 2048 because from what I have read (and experienced) 2048 is the only resolution that works with the Retrotink Ultimate’s s-video output (all other resolutions end up black-and-white and noisy or distorted). Component/VGA output can handle other resolutions, but I don’t have component input on my CRT, so s-video is the best I can use. Still, the s-video output looks great with Lakka 2.3.2, so hopefully this will eventually work with v3.

Is there somewhere to get a working image of 2.3.2? The only place I saw one was for the noobs installer, and I’d rather just direct flash.

Tried new 3.3 lakka version with my Retrotink Ultimate with my rpi3 and had no luck. The version I flashed was the arm one. Has anyone been succesfull into outputting image to TV with this new updated version?

Please check this issue.

I think @Crono141 was on the right track with using fake kms. I tried that and got Lakka 3.3 working with the Retrotink Ultimate (RPi3b+). Here are the config.txt settings I used:

#include distroconfig.txt
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
dtoverlay=dpi24
enable_dpi_lcd=1
display_default_lcd=1
dpi_output_format=519
dpi_group=2
dpi_mode=87
hdmi_timings=2048 1 180 202 300 240 1 3 5 14 0 0 0 60 0 42954545 1
disable_splash=1
disable_overscan=1
dtparam=audio=on
hdmi_drive=2

From my tests so far the video output seems to be fully working. The only problem I have noticed is that the “snes9x - Current” core is stuttering (it worked fine in Lakka 2.3.2). But snes9x2010 core seems fine in 3.3. This issue may be unrelated to the Retrotink config - I need to do some more testing.

I think the squished image issue that @Crono141 was having with RGUI might just be a matter of getting the custom viewport width and aspect ratio set correctly in retroarch.cfg.

2 Likes

I can confirm that lakka 3.3 is indeed working with my Rpi3 w/ Retrotink Ultimate. Unfortunately, all the cores seems to have diminished performance - I can´t use runahead features on snes9x2010 like I used to on 2.3.2. The menus are a lot cleaner and more polished, though. I can onlu wish that lakka works one day on rpi4 with component output on 240p.

Not using Retrotink; just a standard composite cable. This config doesn’t work on 3.3 for me. I’m only getting a black screen.