Last of the analog shader mysteries

Hi, all.

It’s been a few years since the analog shader packs went away. It seems most of the shaders have been reproduced in recent years via slang.

But one effect I have been unable to reproduce is the one shown at 3:20 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9C_TfmPgYM

The flickering ‘CRT Royale NTSC’ effect.

Does anyone know if it possible to get a slang shader to do this?

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

Any royale-ntsc-composite shader should cover it. The flickering happens when the framerate is out of sync with your monitor’s refresh rate. It’s not supposed to ever be visible.

2 Likes

Already added to ntsc-cgwg-tm (GLSL), it’s called dot crawl. And to A520 (pal) to mimic a real composite PAL.

3 Likes

Thanks. Very interesting. That would explain why I somehow notice that effect for a second or so when I hit the fastforward button in RA. I did grow up in Europe, so that effect may be familiar to me because I’m so used to PAL.

Thank you. How do I load GLSL shaders? Do I need to set a particular video driver? Intriguing.

Go to Settings-drivers and pick gl instead of Vulcan. Save and restart.

1 Like

Is there a slang shader that does this? I’m not sure I can get GLSL to work with Vulkan. Thank you all for getting back to me.

I didn’t ported that to slang, mostly for old slow devices that run gl.

Oh really? Is GLSL the better shader type for moderate / powerful devices then?

Always assumed slang was preferable?

Gl is the one for slow devices, slang for more modern.

1 Like