MagicHat's OrionsAngel Mega Bezel MAME Arcade Setup

Improvements like this and the themes seems like it’s worth it to stay in the update loop then. Good info thanks for the insights.

1 Like

UPDATE on pack 5 of OrionsAngels most recent release… About 11 more games to size up in that pack. After that, I’ll repackage up the main .zip and get it on google drive for others to download and extract where needed.

3 Likes

Don’t forget they also have sales promotions, discounts and special offers as well!

2 Likes

Just a quick update for anyone waiting to see Orions pack 5 included in this setup I put together. I’ve had those done for awhile now but behind the scenes, I’ve been working with the best of the best on this forum (@HyperspaceMadness @ArsInvictus @Duimon @Cyber @far327 ) discussing some new and really exciting changes to the format of these “MEGA Bezel Packs” that we package up and release to the public. We have a working solution in place that moves us to a “Turn Key Solution” or a “Drop In Place” method that significantly reduces the manual steps needed on your end when downloading these packs for your own use.

The following big picture view is what we’re aiming to do for everyone.

1. You download our zip file and extract it to where we tell you it needs to be.
  2. You create a simple “Core Preset for MAME” that points to the proper file needed to get things lined up. And that’s pretty much it for you!

The system would then work as follows:

1. Auto loads our customized games which points to the art we want and any other adjustments and fine tuning per game

2. (NEW to my system since ver 1) Any other version of a game that you might have or have set to launch as the default will automatically be accounted for in our config and will use our custom config for each game included. No need to do any name matching of which game you have or have set to launch vs the included name of the gamename.params in the customized pack.

3. The fallback horizontal and vertical generic cabinet image and config if we dont have a customized game config (yet). No change here with what I put together already in version 1 of this release. This continues to provide you with an all inclusive system that has a realistic overlay + the Mega Bezel Shader for ANY game that you launch!

What this means for my OrionsAngel Horizontal Pack

1. I’m not going to waste my time packaging up this pack 5 of his in the old format.
  2. I’m diving in on the changes needed to get us on the above layed out solution which will also include his latest pack 5 additions.

The holiday’s are here so I’ll be busy drinking craft beer, good whiskey, and enjoying time with friends and family just like you all should be! But I’ll chip away at these changes when I can and hopefully after the new year, I’ll have more clarity on when I’ll have things packaged up.

Any questions, concerns, or feedback are welcome!

3 Likes

@K-rnivoro I couldn’t tag you above I hit the 5 limit!!! But didn’t want to leave you out. Also obviously @Orionsangel is the center of attention in this horizontal pack. The other guys tagged above are hard at work on the Vertical Setup Pack.

4 Likes

@MagicHat will the new format be specifically for the Arcade setups?

No it can be used for any other system as well as far as I’m aware. You should be able to use the same method. It’s just a matter of someone taking the time to put it together, package it up and release for others to use.

3 Likes

Thanks @MagicHat!! Sorry if got lost in translation, but @ArsInvictus is planning to use the same method with vertical overlays, right? I want to help with those vertical overlays, and I get confused with all stuff going on in different threads. Sorry.

1 Like

Yes it sounds good and HSM certified so I would want to adopt it. Just haven’t spent the time to look into what’s needed to update to that structure yet.

3 Likes

@K-rnivoro the route I’m taking for these horizontal ones from OrionsAngel can surely be used for that Vertical project but it’s up to you guys on what you choose.

3 Likes

You and @ArsInvictus know much better than me in that regard, so I’ll just follow your instructions for adding content. I really want to build a nice sets of vertical layout, I just hope guys like you keep doing these beautiful overlays!!!

3 Likes

***** UPDATE *****

Bezel Thickness

Seeing how I had to touch pretty much every single game due to the previous outlined changes I mentioned on 12/21/23, I decided to also size down the MEGA Bezel’s width and height thickness for all games. Previously I had the vast majority of them configured at 240 but I’m now going with 175. After taking screenshots of various numbers, 175 is a great fit for OrionsAngels artwork in my eyes. Many of his cabinets have designs that extend past the normal bezel area but I found 175 fits nice for most of these to the point where they don’t spill over to the actual playable game area and stay within the mega bezel. Going from 240 down to 175 is also a big improvement when it comes to the actual playable game area so that’s a really great addition too.

Vignette

Thanks to @K-rnivoro for bringing this setting up in another thread of ours. After reviewing some screenshots with this setting on vs off, I’ve decided I like this off more than having it on. Having it on does look nice and adds more realism to CRT screens of that era but I personally like what it does to the variations in color in the game itself and also showcases the megabezel’s reflections a lot more too. So this next release will have this turned off.

NOTE: If you personally like a fatter or thinner bezel than this 175, you can change it but doing so will require a lot of custom rework for each game to resize them to fit properly. However, the vignette setting can be turned on without having any additional work on your end.

Current Status on this Version 2 Release

I just completed all of the horizontal games which consists of 109 games and starting in on the vertical ones. The vertical ones consist of 55. I’m hoping to have these done and repackage everything up into a new download on my google drive by next weekend sometime. As a reminder, this version 2 release will also include the new changes that allow these game configs to work for ANY region or version game you might have on your machine without having to manually adjust anything on your end.

4 Likes

Just a quick comparison…

TMNT2 @ 240

TMNT2 @ 175

4 Likes

Quick comparison on vs off…

Mortal Kombat - Vignette On

Mortal Kombat - Vignette Off

3 Likes

You’re welcome! I really want to make my cab with the TV able to rotate. I love vertical overlays but I don’t wanna miss yours!!!

1 Like

They only have one sale a year on black Friday (they always make a point to say it’s their only sale). I waited several months to get the 50% off, so if you want the discount that is the only time to get it.

2 Likes

MORE TVS!!! haha If you have the space for it. That’s my ultimate plan. Have dedicated one for vertical with only 2 player fight stick setup. Then a dedicated one for Orions Angel horizontal collection and have 4 player fight stick setup. When you have the screen horizontal it plays nicer if you want 4 fight sticks layed out. I’m looking forward to getting caught up on Orions collection so I can join in with you guys on the Vertical ones to help chip away on those old ones created that just need the mega bezel brought in and custom fit per game!

1 Like

I forgot to mention, I just picked up an entry level LG 86 inch 4k TV last week for my Bar/Rec Room to replace my old budget projector that I used on a large 100+ inch area on a wall. It’s a cheaper model 4K so it’s nothing high end but for the purpose of occasional movie nights out there and UFC/Boxing/Sports events it’s plenty for that. Got it on sale $500 off so the total was just over $1K USD. But my whole point I mention this TV is because it’s my first 4K experience and our main TV in the living room is still an OG Panasonic Viera PLASMA!!! So the 4K jump is pretty wild to me in general. It’s got me excited for a 4K vertical setup though down the road on a NOT 86 inch TV lol

1 Like

Good info thanks for the tip. I’ll probably just fork out the lifetime cost before then and support their work. I’m already heavily invested in Launchbox fine tuning with my collection with which version of each game is launched, custom playlists putting specific games in them, etc. It makes the most sense to stick with them and get that big box improvement environment in my arcade setup. It should be a big game changer from a user perspective browsing games and playing them all using the fightstick and buttons. It’s easy enough for me to do all that with the wireless mouse and keyboard I have on the gaming PC, but it’s something I have to educate to friends and family when they come over and use it.

Vertical oriented games are complete (total was actually 53). But I forgot we have OrionsAngel’s pack 5 release recently! That’s another 38 games but I think I already have several of these included in the work I just wrapped up so it shouldn’t be too bad.

164 unique games done, ~38 left. :mechanical_arm:

4 Likes