Mame 2003+ No Samples

I’m using Lakka on a Raspberry Pi 4 and I can’t figure out where to put samples. My rom and samples are from the same source. I’m trying to play Donkey Kong (US Set 1). I’ve put my samples in \lakka\System\mame2003-plus\samples\dkong.zip

1 Like

The default path on LAKKA is /storage/system/
Note that any *nix operating system is case sensitive and the path separator is /

And please delete the link in your post. It’s against the rules:

https://forums.libretro.com/faq#Rules

1 Like

Still doesn’t work :confused:

If I recall correctly, MAME 2003-plus uses updated samples for dkong (not the same as for MAME 2003 ‘original’). It should have 8 .wav files.

This might be the problem.

No, the original ones are working fine. But updated samples are supported as well:

MAME 2003-Plus also supports alternate soundtracks for several popular arcade titles that were also released in other formats with high quality audio soundtracks. Alternate soundtracks are supported for Double Dragon , Final Fight , Mortal Kombat , Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker , NBA Jam , and Out Run .

On LAKKA the paths are pre-configured.
Have you changed something in the GUI (Settings - Directory)?

The default paths (GUI: Settings - Directory) are:

System/BIOS         /tmp/system

If you put files in the /storage/* folders they will have precedency to those in the /tmp/* folders

Are you getting a "Warning: audio sample(s) not found." ?

You are referring to alternate soundtracks, not samples. Samples have to match.

1 Like

Sorry wrong quote. But my statement remains the same. Tested and verified.

[EDIT] OP stated that he has the roms and samples from the same source. You are right, that the samples from mame2003 are different than those from mame2003-plus

But there are “original” samples and “updated” samples as well :slight_smile:

Games supporting new and improved samples

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong JR
Fantasy
Pioneer Balloon
Vanguard

Yeah, System\BIOS\dkong.zip is working perfectly. I’ve found the new 8 file sample pack as well and it works fine

EDIT: Tried playing Mario Bros. (mario.zip) and again, the samples won’t load. They’re in the same place as Donkey Kong’s samples

I also am confused with Lakka and/or FBNeo directory structures on pi4…

So /storage has precedence to /tmp on Lakka …good to know.

But what about subdirectories in /storage/system? Is it allowed to put samples in /storage/system/samples for example? Or all audio sample zip files should be “flat” on /storage/system? If subdirectories in /storage/system are allowed that would allow us to use NFS (or CIFS) mountpoints there.

And there are many more types of files for FBNeo collection beside samples:

• blend
  • flyers
  • res
  • previews
  • titles
  • hdd
  • cheats

I suppose that not every listed type can be used in Lakka, but where to put those types that Lakka could use? The shares and paths from /etc/samba/smb.conf do not reveal much.

Thanks.

I think the right place would be
/storage/system/fbneo/samples

1 Like

Thanks. Will try it as soon as I can.

Is there some kind of Lakka/FBNeo resource from which one can extract those paths?

Thanks again.

Usually the cores generate the directorys on the first start, e.g.

saves/fbneo/
states/fbneo/
system/fbneo/

while others are generated if you save remaps or shaders, core specific configs etc…

A good starting point for gatering informations is
https://libretro.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
https://www.lakka.tv/doc/Home/
or here in the forums.

If you have specific questions and the forum search yield no result, then it is best to open a new topic

For whomever finds themselves here, this IS A BIG DEAL (case sensitivity in *nix os). I struggled with qBert sounds for two days, only to find out that the directory I created “Samples” wasn’t working. Once I changed it to “sample” all was fine. To reiterate, put samples files in system\mame2003-plus\samples… And you’ll have to make that directory, “samples”