MAME Current Alternate Rendering

When saving “alternate rendering” and resolution settings as a game override in MAME (current), it seems to be overriding all the games in the core. In other words, I enable alternate rendering, then change resolution and save as “game override” (mostly doing this for vector games), then close the game and launch another other game and it has also taken on the new settings (causing slowdown in raster games). Any suggestions on getting this to stick only as a game override are appreciated. Thanks.

in your config/MAME directory, is it making a MAME.opt or [gamename].opt? It should be doing the latter rather than the former.

There’s a MAME.opt, but no gamename.opt’s for anything I was recently testing.

I usually create my own opt manually.

astdelux.opt

mame_alternate_renderer = "enabled"
mame_altres = "1600x1200"
mame_auto_save = "disabled"
mame_boot_from_cli = "disabled"
mame_boot_to_bios = "disabled"
mame_boot_to_osd = "disabled"
mame_buttons_profiles = "enabled"
mame_cheats_enable = "disabled"
mame_cpu_overclock = "default"
mame_lightgun_mode = "none"
mame_lightgun_offscreen_mode = "free"
mame_mame_4way_enable = "4way"
mame_mame_paths_enable = "disabled"
mame_media_type = "rom"
mame_mouse_enable = "enabled"
mame_read_config = "disabled"
mame_saves = "game"
mame_softlists_auto_media = "enabled"
mame_softlists_enable = "enabled"
mame_throttle = "disabled"
mame_write_config = "disabled"
1 Like

Thanks, Duimon… so is the core supposed to save them per game but isn’t working properly?

1 Like

No… it seems to work just fine. How are you saving your options? You need to go to the top of the “Core Options” dialog “Manage Core Options>>>Save Game Options”.

Yeah… that’s how I’m doing it.

1 Like

How does your “RetroArch\config\MAME\MAME.opt” look, compared to the one I posted above?

1 Like

Here is my MAME.opt… but I did take your suggestion and start making my own .opt files for the vector games since there aren’t too many, and that does work.

Sorry couldn’t figure out how to post a opt file.

Copy the contents to the clipboard and paste it in a post. Be careful to select it after and click “Preformatted text” icon in the post editor.

1 Like

Ok… sorry about that.

mame_alternate_renderer = "disabled"
mame_altres = "640x480"
mame_auto_save = "disabled"
mame_boot_from_cli = "disabled"
mame_boot_to_bios = "disabled"
mame_boot_to_osd = "disabled"
mame_buttons_profiles = "enabled"
mame_cheats_enable = "disabled"
mame_cpu_overclock = "default"
mame_lightgun_mode = "none"
mame_lightgun_offscreen_mode = "free"
mame_mame_4way_enable = "disabled"
mame_mame_paths_enable = "disabled"
mame_media_type = "rom"
mame_mouse_enable = "disabled"
mame_read_config = "enabled"
mame_saves = "game"
mame_softlists_auto_media = "enabled"
mame_softlists_enable = "enabled"
mame_throttle = "disabled"
mame_write_config = "enabled"
1 Like

This…

…and this…

…may be your issue. This means the MAME core is reading from and writing to a *.ini in the “system/mame/ini” folder and may disable game opt files. It’s worth a shot to try setting them to “disabled”.

My default mame.opt is the same as your with these exceptions. If I need something different for a specific system I create a custom *.opt and manually set the changes.

To be clear, there are time when both reading and writing to an ini is advantageous, but rarely permanently (I sometimes create an ini then disable writing after.) and almost never for arcade roms.

1 Like

Thanks… I’ll check into this tomorrow.

Sorry it took me so long to look into this. What I realized is that I originally needed MAME to write .ini files because it was opening game with bezels, marquees, etc enabled in the MAME video options. So, it’s looking like I can’t have the video options the way I want them and the options such as “alternate rendering” per game, both. It would be nice if MAME would write and read and save all the options per game. Unless maybe I am misunderstanding how this works?

1 Like

I’m confused as why this is an issue. I have MAME artwork and it has never conflicted with RA.

I had another question thread about it recently. The MAME “soft” bezels, etc were opening by default in all games.

This is weird and shouldn’t happen automatically. One thing would be to have your roms separate from any standalone install. You would not have any art to open. Still, I have never had an issue keeping them.

Are you using the layout feature in RetroArch? (Do you have a layout path defined?)

I have used the layout feature in the past but I’m pretty sure I have them turned off for all cores at the time.

Did you have any shots in the other thread? Can you post a link to it?

1 Like

Here’s the other thread… there are no screenshots of anything. For the time being I took your earlier advice and made opt files for the vector games, so I have that workaround in place… it would be nice if it was all automated, but I don’t want to take up too much of your time with it.

Default MAME Video Settings Not Saving - Libretro / Cores - Libretro Forums