Mame_libretro: Scanlines are horizontal on portrait mode monitor

How can I fix this issue? I have a secondary monitor in portrait mode (10:16) and I still have to tell mame to rotate the game. It appears that the core does not correctly report its orientation.

I’ve a attached a picture of the final result.

BTW the mame official builds don’t have this issue.

mame

Yeah, the way the MAME core works is it just hands the final framebuffer to RetroArch with no information about whether it’s rotated or not, etc. FBA rotates the shaders along with the screen, if you can use it instead.

:+1: thanks for the quick reply. I suppose I can try FBA, even though it does not support all games.

Is this something that can be corrected or is it a limitation?

It’s just part of how the core is implemented, unfortunately. It’s necessary to do it this way to keep the whole MAME menu etc. intact.

If all you need is scanlines, I made a scanline shader that automatically rotates when the image is taller than it is wide. It should be posted somewhere on this forum…

OK thanks, Hunterk. I’ll take a look.

For portrait mode, try to make a vertical.ini in system\mame\ini\ with that line:

ror 1

OK vertical.ini is read but requires:

retroarch-core-options.cfg need to set mame_read_config = “enabled”

However my monitor is in portrait mode so with ROR 1 it’s sideways now

mame2003 does the scanlines correctly. i guess later mame versions have the problem.

You could try going to settings > core > allow rotation and set it to OFF.

@dankcushions Yeah, I think 2003 is the only one that’s using libretro for the full functionality instead of just passing the framebuffer from its own internal rendering. 2010 might work, too, but none of the later ones, for sure.