Mame2010 not in Lakka

I was just curious as to why Mame2010 isn’t in any builds? I manually added it to my cores folder and loaded it up. It’s running great for me. I haven’t had any issues.

The compatibility is pretty high. You can see the compatible ROMS list here.

All I did was download the already compiled emulator here.

https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.2/slackonly-x86_64/mame2010-libretro-2017.01.25_4776991-x86_64-6_slonly.txz.html

I placed the mame2010_libretro.so and mame2010_libretro.info in the /storage/cores folder. Then I went to a very popular rom site which I won’t reveal for obvious reasons but trust me, everyone knows it. I downloaded a rom pack for Mame 0.138.

I then followed these instructions to update them all to 0.139.

I snagged the .DAT file that I needed from here

After all that I launched Lakka and re-scanned all my MAME roms. Some still went under Mame2003 but most showed up under the new core Mame2010 and they are all working great so far.

Even before updating my roms to 0.139 the 0.138 versions were working fine too. I didn’t test them all. I think the lists state that 140 or so out of the 8500+ roms need to update. The rest worked fine.

So. Again… is there a particular reason that it’s not included? Does it cause some issues that I have just yet to run in to?

Thanks.

Is there a particular reason you didn’t use the libretro MAME 2010 / MAME 0.139 .DAT file that is maintained at this location? https://github.com/libretro/mame2010-libretro/tree/master/metadata

Edit: It is easy to find MAME 0.139 romsets along with 0.139 matching CHDs and Samples. I am not sure why it was necessary for you to download an 0.138 set and rebuild for 0.139. But I guess if it works, it works!

For the .DAT file, I used RetroPie prior to switching to Lakka so I was just already familiar with that link. Just never bothered to look anywhere else for it.

As for the updating of the ROMS from 0.138 to 0.139 that’s just my ignorance honestly. I searched around but just kept finding only 0.138. Then after already having them, I tried to play them in Lakka. That’s when I started having issues with trying to play them in Mame2003. So I went on the search for 2010.

I was already committed at 23gigs in of ROMS so I just updated them because I found instructions saying that was required.

So… any clue as to why 2010 isn’t included by default? I have no problem with it not being there because it’s easy enough to add manually. I just wanted to know if there was a particular reason that I just wasn’t aware of.

Obviously there’s a lot I’m not aware of. :slight_smile: so it stands to reason that I’m just missing something here too.

I Decided to just go with a full 0.139 Non-Merged set, samples, and CHDs (which I see by some comments over on GitHub you’re a fan of). 290+ gigs later and with a manually built playlist, i’m in good shape. Mame2010 is working great for me. Took a hell of a long time to download all those damn CHD files but it was worth it.

1 Like