Mednafen Saturn core?

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;46129]Got it too with some CD images. Then I got some different images for the same games and now they are working.

Usually the bin + cue or CCD biggest ones are fine, while those ape/mp3/ogg you have to change into wav seem problematic.

Mednafen is probably more strict than other saturn emus.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure about the ape/mp3/ogg in general, whenever I see ANYTHING that was a CD-ROM that isn’t in bin/cue format I used Daemon Tools to mount and IMGburn to rip it back to the disc as bin/cue.

I’ll have to check another source I guess.

Un-corectable data at sector 0 errors can be fixed in a couple of possible ways. First, check the file names of your cue + bin, long file names with lots of odd characters can cause it, simplifying the name can fix it. Second, if your images contain mp3 or wav files, mounting the disk in a virtual drive program like Daemon Tools Lite and then using ImgBurn to generate a new cue + bin can fix it. If they are Mp3s you will need to convert to wav first and adjust your cue sheet accordingly. Third, load the disk image into CDMage and save it out as a new cue + bin. I have fixed more than a few disk images using these methods.

First of all, thank you so much for all the work on this. It is awesome!

I have a question about controller inputs. I am using a Saturn controller (and do for most games outside the SNES) and I cannot get the thing to map properly in this core. I can in every other core including Yabuase. Any suggestions on what I am missing?

What is your problem?

During a game go to “Controls”, change your buttons and then Save Core remap file.

If in Settings->configurations-> Autoload Remap Files is ON this should keep it applied.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;46217]What is your problem?

During a game go to “Controls”, change your buttons and then Save Core remap file.

If in Settings->configurations-> Autoload Remap Files is ON this should keep it applied.[/QUOTE]

I tried that and used the same mappings I use for Yabuase but things end up really odd. A is mapped to the L trigger and most buttons are mapped incorrectly.

That’s why.

The inputs are mapped differently in this core than they are in Yabuse. I stumbled on it last night after I copied my Yabuse config over for Mednafen SAT use.

It’s a pain in the ass because it means I have to figure out a creative solution so I can get the PAL games to pull up in Yabuse, with it’s own configuration via RocketLauncher and HyperSpin.

[QUOTE=lordmonkus;46153]Un-corectable data at sector 0 errors can be fixed in a couple of possible ways. First, check the file names of your cue + bin, long file names with lots of odd characters can cause it, simplifying the name can fix it. Second, if your images contain mp3 or wav files, mounting the disk in a virtual drive program like Daemon Tools Lite and then using ImgBurn to generate a new cue + bin can fix it. If they are Mp3s you will need to convert to wav first and adjust your cue sheet accordingly. Third, load the disk image into CDMage and save it out as a new cue + bin. I have fixed more than a few disk images using these methods.[/QUOTE]

I’ll have to try some of these.

All my files are bin/cue so I know it’s not that. I convert any that aren’t when I get them using the Daemon Tools and IMGburn method you described.

Though I’ve never heard of having to convert the music files, I’ve never checked to see what they are before I just convert the whole kit and kaboodle. Would this by chance result in no music in the game or some other noticable effect in a title that still loads up?

Never tried CDMage either though.

Thanks for the sugguestions. I’ll try some out tonight and see what happens.

1 Like

I didn’t have a problem here.

By default, it’s mapped for Saturn A B on bottom, X Y on top. Then Saturn C is L1 and Z is R1. L is L2, R is R2.

Well, it’s complicated like anything you remap within Retroarch! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;46230]I didn’t have a problem here.

By default, it’s mapped for Saturn A B on bottom, X Y on top. Then Saturn C is L1 and Z is R1. L is L2, R is R2.

Well, it’s complicated like anything you remap within Retroarch! :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah it’s entirely dependent on how you do it I’ve noticed. For instance, I use Xpadder to setup everything (except on analogue sticks). So It’s all keyboard mapping, but still for a controller.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;46230]I didn’t have a problem here.

Well, it’s complicated like anything you remap within Retroarch! :)[/QUOTE]

You rock man! Thank you, that helped so much.

All my games works with this core, except Guardian Heroes. Even the Darkwater US release don’t work for me (no crash but it stucks in the menu of the Saturn). Do you know guys a working release of this game ? Thanks

I finished Guardians Heroes here. I’ve got the US version.

Can’t give you a link though.

OK, thanks, I will look for US release

[QUOTE=hostile1975;46273]All my games works with this core, except Guardian Heroes. Even the Darkwater US release don’t work for me (no crash but it stucks in the menu of the Saturn). Do you know guys a working release of this game ? Thanks[/QUOTE]

My copy booted up past the “SEGA” logo just fine. You’re saying it’s freezing on the main menu???

Its not freezing, the game dont start and the internal menu of the saturn opened ( the one where you can play music, go to advanced settings). I got stuck there

I’ve been playing Dracula X a lot lately and it’s smooth sailing, I love this!

Gonna give Magical School Lunar a shot when I have the chance, I know it boots and plays just fine the little I tried it out but I’m gonna go further this time even though my Japanese language skills sucks.

This is exciting. Finally a Saturn emulator that works well. I wonder if it could be possible to get this core running on a 32-bit computer…

Ryphecha really did a bang-up job on this particular subsystem. I’ve gone and tested my entire Saturn library on both Mednafen Standalone and the RA Core, and everything has run just as well as or better than it did on SSF.

I haven’t noticed any emulation issues in the RA core that I couldn’t reproduce in standalone, but the core seems have significantly worse performance than standalone, and I can’t seem fix that no matter how I mess with my config. In 3D games like Panzer Dragoon Zwei, My framerate is a stable 60 fps on standalone, but when I run the game via RA, I can only get about 55 fps in-game and about 50 fps during FMVs. 2D games like Gekka and Guardian Heroes still seem to run full speed, though.

[QUOTE=Torisuke;46963]Ryphecha really did a bang-up job on this particular subsystem. I’ve gone and tested my entire Saturn library on both Mednafen Standalone and the RA Core, and everything has run just as well as or better than it did on SSF.

I haven’t noticed any emulation issues in the RA core that I couldn’t reproduce in standalone, but the core seems have significantly worse performance than standalone, and I can’t seem fix that no matter how I mess with my config. In 3D games like Panzer Dragoon Zwei, My framerate is a stable 60 fps on standalone, but when I run the game via RA, I can only get about 55 fps in-game and about 50 fps during FMVs. 2D games like Gekka and Guardian Heroes still seem to run full speed, though.[/QUOTE] Do you have hard sync on? Once I set hard sync frames to 1 (or turn off hard sync) I got full speed performance in all three Panzer Dragoon games just like I do in stand alone with my 2500k.

I’m impressed… Mednafen Saturn is a perfect pixel emulator? O_o

I tested 105 games and everyone runs perfect. Identical to the console. Except two. Virtua Fighter and Virtua Fighter Remix (and I have my doubts :¬).

I have a i7-3770, GPU GTX 570 DCII Approximate consumption: CPU 18% (2D) - CPU 22%(3D), GPU 10%

Saturn Mednafen “not emulate games in PAL format.”

List of tested games. The majority Redump some Darkwater.

Albert Odyssey - Legend of Eldean (USA) Alien Trilogy (USA) Arcade Gears Vol. 1 - Pu Li Ru La (Japan) Arcade Gears Vol. 2 - Gun Frontier (Japan) Arcade Gears Vol. 3 - Wonder 3 (Japan) Arcade Gears Vol. 4 - ImageFight & XMultiply (Japan) Arcade’s Greatest Hits - The Atari Collection 1 (USA) Arcade’s Greatest Hits (USA) Astal (USA) Baku Baku Animal - World Zookeeper Contest (USA) Batman Forever - The Arcade Game (USA) Battle Arena Toshinden Remix (USA) Battle Arena Toshinden URA - Ultimate Revenge Attack (USA) Blazing Heroes (USA) Bulk Slash (Japan) Burning Rangers (USA) Bust-A-Move 2 - Arcade Edition (USA) Bust-A-Move 3 (USA) Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams… (USA) Clockwork Knight 2 (USA) (DW0548) Clockwork Knight - Pepperouchau’s Adventure (USA) Darius Gaiden (USA) Darius II (Japan) (2M) Daytona USA - Championship Circuit Edition (USA) Daytona USA (USA) Dead or Alive (Japan) (Rev A) (10M) Deep Fear (USA) (Lost & Found V3) (DW0840) Digital Pinball - Necronomicon (Japan) Dragon Force II - Kami Sarishi Daichi ni (Japan) Dragon Force (USA) Elevator Action^2 - Returns (Japan) Enemy Zero (USA) (DW0775) Fighters Megamix (USA) (RE) Fighting Vipers (USA) (6S) Galactic Attack (USA) Game Tengoku - The Game Paradise! (Japan) Guardian Force (Japan) Guardian Heroes (USA) Gungriffon II (Japan) Gungriffon (USA) High Velocity - Mountain Racing Challenge (USA) Hyper 3-D Pinball (USA) (DW0550) Last Bronx (Japan) Last Gladiators - Digital Pinball (USA) (4S) Legend of Oasis, The (USA) Magical Hoppers (Japan) Magical Night Dreams - Cotton 2 (Japan) Magical Night Dreams - Cotton Boomerang (Japan) Magic Knight Rayearth (USA) Manx TT SuperBike (USA) Midway presents Arcade’s Greatest Hits (USA) (DW0682) Mr. Bones (USA) NiGHTS into Dreams… (USA) (RE) Night Warriors - Darkstalkers’ Revenge (USA) Panzer Dragoon 1 (USA) Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (USA) Panzer Dragoon Saga (Europe) Panzer Dragoon Saga (USA) Pocket Fighter (Japan) Princess Crown (Japan) (1M) Pro Pinball (USA) (DW0669) Radiant Silvergun (Japan) Saturn Bomberman (USA) Scud (USA) (DW0555) Sega Ages - After Burner II (Japan) Sega Ages - Columns Arcade Collection (Japan) Sega Ages - Fantasy Zone (Japan) Sega Ages - Galaxy Force II (Japan) Sega Ages - I Love Mickey Mouse - Fushigi no Oshiro Daibouken & I Love Donald Duck - Georgia Ou no Hihou (Japan) Sega Ages - Memorial Selection Vol. 1 (Japan) Sega Ages - Memorial Selection Vol. 2 (Japan) Sega Ages - OutRun (Japan) Sega Ages - Phantasy Star Collection (Japan) Sega Ages - Power Drift (Japan) Sega Ages - Rouka ni Ichidanto R (Japan) Sega Ages - Shukudai ga Tanto R (Japan) Sega Ages - Space Harrier (Japan) (1M) Sega Ages Vol. 1 (USA) (DW0577) Sega Rally Championship (USA) Sengoku Blade - Sengoku Ace Episode II (Japan) Sexy Parodius (Japan) Shining Force III Premium Disc (Japan) Shining Force III - Scenario 1 - Outo no Kyoshin (Japan) Shining Force III - Scenario 2 - Nerawareta Miko (Japan) Shining Force III - Scenario 3 - Hyouheki no Jashinguu (Japan) Shining Force III (USA) Shining the Holy Ark (USA) Shining Wisdom (USA) Shinrei Jusatsushi Taroumaru (Japan) Sonic 3D Blast (USA) Sonic Jam (USA) Sonic R (USA, Brazil) Sonic Wings Special (Japan) Soukyuu Gurentai Otokuyou (Japan) Tempest 2000 (USA) (DW0515) Three Dirty Dwarves (USA) (RE) Thunder Force V (Japan) True Pinball (USA) (DW0850) Twinkle Star Sprites (Japan) Vampire Savior (Japan) Virtua Fighter 2 (USA) (RE) Virtua Fighter Kids (USA) (DW0821) Virtua Fighter Remix (USA) Virtua Fighter (USA) Virtual On - Cyber Troopers (USA) (DW0823)