Mednafen Saturn core?

No, analog still has to be hooked up.

Sorry to be a noob but while I can load ROMs into Yabause just fine, Mednafen says “can’t load content” or something for every single disc image. What’s the deal?

The Mednafen Saturn core is much more picky when it comes to disc images. Try and get BIN + CUE rips, Darkwater ones if possible. I use those and have no issues.

If anyone wants pixel aspect ratio in this core (like Yabause), create “config\Mednafen Saturn\Mednafen Saturn.cfg”, open it in a text editor and add:

aspect_ratio_index = “19” video_aspect_ratio = “1.4667”

It’s basically the same as setting both “ss.correct_aspect 0” and “ss.stretch aspect” in stand alone.

3 Likes

The core has excellent compatibility and pretty good performance but honestly it feels let down by input lag :frowning: I compared it to latest Yabause standalone (have not tried libretro Yabause) and that feels much more responsive when playing shooters like Thunder Force V.

And this is on a powerful x86 system optimized for input lag, using ogl + hard sync + optimal frame delay.

1 Like

Yes, Mednafen Saturn has terrible input lag, just like SSF. Some games are literally unplayable, try playing the classic Sonic games from Sonic Jam for instance.

It’s a great emulator with a crippling fault.

1 Like

maybe this is exactly what you are searching for ? (has 6 Surfacebuttons and 4 buttons/triggers for the Shoulders - all mappable individually) … D-Pad looks pretty good to me and seems to be a nice allrounder (think i will give a try next month)

hi all ok for mednafen core saturn bios – ok games format : cue / Bin - ok but in retroarch , the music are play bad ,The crackle sound Audio tracks must be in what formats? My iso are made from an original (TOC)

help me ??

If you’re getting audio crackles, it usually means you’re not hitting full speed. Go to settings > video and turn on the ‘display framerate’ option and then play some games. If it dips below 60 fps, you’re going to get crackles.

I actually just got one of these in the mail! lol

It’s not too shabby at all really. In fact it has 2 extra buttons with an extra Set of Start/Select.

My only problem with it is the Left Stick/D-Pad placement, but it works quite well.

The rubery finish on it is nice too.

Is there a way to set a single backup memory (like pxs shared memory card feature)? It would be handy with multi disk games and shining force 3…

If you make an m3u playlist for multi disc games, it will create a memory card for all the disc in the playlist.

I know, but a single file like psx core would be more handy, since the saturn backup memory was huge, and some games look for other games backup (ex quake/duke nukem) I’d like to keep my games separated, because using joypad without keyboard, and changing disk is a pain.

What are quake and duke nukem doing exactly?

And I’m intrigued by this as well, particularly due to shining force 3.

I have m3u’s setup for all my multi-disc games, but shining force 3 isn’t one game on 3 discs, it’s 3 games so doing an M3U file for it doesn’t really make sense.

Totally. Shining Force 3 is a game divided in 3 scenarios, not a game divided in 3 discs, it will recognize the other saves in the second, third and the premium disc as it would in the console.

if a a quake savegame was located, battletank minigame was unlocked in duke nukem if a duke nukem savegame was located, a minicomic was unllocked in quake

they are not so important, but i don’t think it’s so hard work coding to change the memory card name destination in the core -.-’

1 Like

Aren’t there limitations though with shared memory card setups as well? Like will you run into ‘memory card full’ scenarios? I’m not sure if this happens on the PSX side.

Also, I’d think it’s a little more complicated code-wise for the Saturn side because there was the memory cartridge AND internal memory that you always had to choose between.

I think it’d be cool if you could put the ‘shared’ option on the internal memory, but have everything that saved to the cartridge be seperate.

saturn backup memory is 512KB, 4 times a ps1 memory card. I’d like internal ram per game, and shared backup card, like genesis plus gx core (or mednafen psx)