Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

If Ambient Light was supported natively via Retroarch shaders that would be a dream come true for me. It is a performance-intensive pass in Reshade, but it’s still one that I basically always use.

Some screenshots from my old CGP shader pack:

Esper preset:

Esper preset + Reshade (not just Ambient Light, but that’s the main thing going on here):

Esper preset:

Esper preset + Reshade:

3 Likes

I think i had such weird problems with other before shaders aswell … Its not in all N64 games but in some in Super Mario 64 its just at the start but in Donkey Kong 64 its every scene transition. Is there some setting i screw up/missed that fixes that ?

oh yeah its the Mupen64Plus-Next core ^^

1 Like

Are you using the crop black only feature?

If so, it is likely that the black becomes not quite black, then it doesn’t trigger the crop.

I also remember that this sometimes happened related to dithering modes, so you could try a different dithering pattern in the core options if that’s available.

You can also try to increase Black Threshold for 'CROP BLACK ONLY' and see if it still happens.

1 Like

tired all of this now and it still happens , i will try around a bit more and will let you now what exactly causes it …if i find it ^^

Seems to be a strange bug with the ParaLLEI-RDP plugin tried every setting nothing helps but switching the RDP plugin to angrylion gets rid of it

2 Likes

i just found another great project that uses mega bezel by zombeaver Zomb's Mega Bezel Pack

1 Like

Oh yeah, ReShade so good because Hook on 99% Softwares ^.^

ATM i playing old PC Games with HSM, and result is awesome :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.6.1_2022-11-21

Changes:

• Megatron
    • HDR versions Added
    • Megatron Updated to V4.3
    • Multiple Categories available
      • ADV
      • ADV-SCREEN-ONLY
      • STD
      • STD-SCREEN-ONLY
    • Note: The color of the reflection for the Megatron presets is a little off & oversaturated, I still need to go in and see how to fix the issue
  • Fixed GLCore viewport size cache issue
  • Guest Advanced (GDV)
    • Updated to crt-guest-advanced-2022-11-14-release1
    • Interlace mode -1 option added which turns on No Scanlines for both GDV and GDV-NTSC
    • Added Noise Multiplier at 4K (Will double at 8K if not 1)
  • Image Fill Mode parameter changed to be simpler
    • It now has 3 options
      • 0 - KEEP TEXURE ASPECT
      • 1 - SPLIT
      • 2 - STRETCH
  • Scanline Direction Fixed, was giving the wrong direction compared to the parameters
  • Core Sampling Multipliers now go to 0 which is Auto
    • Auto means that the samling multiplier will match the upscale in the shader chain
    • The scanline direction multiplier is now set to 0 by default
  • Improved Glass so it doesn’t get create banding as much
  • SMOOTH-ADV & SUPER-XBR now have Mask size set to 0 so they will scale 2X at 4K
  • SMOOTH-ADV has the Opposite Direction Multiplier set to 1, this avoids artifacts in a number of different places

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

Parameter to show results of different passes

Regular Scanlines

No Scanlines

16 Likes

just updatet retroarch a hour ago , it seems to load/ save the shader/settings now much much faster :star_struck: now i have to update this

4 Likes

Amazing ! could you share the shader / config used to have such result please ?

@HyperspaceMadness there is a bug with the DREZ presets.

[ERROR] [slang]: Duplicate parameters found for "HSM_DREZ_TITLE", but arguments do not match.
[ERROR] [slang]: Duplicate parameters found for "HSM_DREZ_TITLE", but arguments do not match.
[DEBUG] [Shaders]: Load parameter value: "SHARPEN" = 0.000000.
[INFO] [slang]: Compiling shader: "A:\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\shaders\base\add-params-all.slang".
[INFO] [slang]: Using render target format R8G8B8A8_UNORM for pass output #0.
[INFO] [slang]: Compiling shader: "A:\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\shaders\hyllian\cubic\hsm-drez-b-spline-x.slang".
[ERROR] [GLCore]: Duplicate parameters found for "HSM_DREZ_TITLE", but arguments do not match.
[ERROR] [GLCore]: Failed to create preset: "A:\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Base_CRT_Presets_DREZ\MBZ__3__STD__GDV__DREZ-240p.slangp".
[ERROR] [GLCore]: Failed to create filter chain: "A:\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Base_CRT_Presets_DREZ\MBZ__3__STD__GDV__DREZ-240p.slangp". Falling back to stock.
[INFO] [slang]: Building pass #0 (N/A)
[INFO] [GLCore]: Not using frame history.
[INFO] [GLCore]: Not using framebuffer feedback.

Found that the problem is that params-0-screen-scale.inc file has parameter argument set as 0 0 0.001 0.001 and hsm-drez-b-spline-x.slang has the parameter argument set as 0 0 0.01 0.01. I changed one set to make them match and it worked again.

4 Likes

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V1.6.2_2022-11-22

Changes:

• Fixed DREZ Presets – Thanks for the catch @hgoda90!
  • Fixed DeviceVertImage
  • 480p POTATO presets included

Go to the first post here for links to the package and install instructions. Please make sure to read the install & setup instructions

Also this makes 5000! posts on this thread! A huge thank you to the community for your engagement in this project!!!

14 Likes

I’m using default Settings from “Thenamec-Commodore-Pack-RC3_4K Pack” this Pack include various Presets from old Amiga PC… Another Pack i use is Duimon a good preset for Dosbox :wink:

4 Likes

Congratulations on the new release and on reaching this new milestone!

On another note,

I noticed that this new setting defaults to 2. Would this cause a change in noise appearance and behavior in current presets at 1080p, 1440p and 4K resolutions compared to previous versions or will things look exactly the same as in 1.5.0 if the default setting of 2 is left alone?

In other words, would a setting of 1 or 2 provide equivalent noise appearance and behaviour to version 1.5.0?

1 Like

As always, thanks for your amazing works and your contributions :metal::sunglasses::metal:

I’m really liking this separator between each feature. It’s quite effective quality of life feature and special thanks for that. It really made my poor reading ability on scroll a lot easier.

2 Likes

Was there a change in the way that turning off the intro works? After the last update, I have a bunch of game presets that used to have the intro turned off, but now it is on. Is there a quick way to turn these back off in batch? Thanks for the help.

So it will look exactly the same as before at 1080p and 1440p, and will appear 2x the size at 4k. So should look visually similar at 1080p and 4k

Thanks! Yeah I saw this in @MajorPainTheCactus’ presets and thought it was a great idea! That 1024 max parameter limit has come in handy :joy:

No, I didn’t touch this part as far as I can remember.

3 Likes

Thanks. I understand. In the past, the noise particles used to look coarser as resolution went down and I used to tweak the noise differently to optimize presets for different resolutions to compensate for this.

I guess this means that a setting of 1 would give the same look and behaviour at 4K compared to the previous version.

The upscale in the shader chain is currently 3x, right? What does this really mean in layman’s terms?

Does this mean that if I have a 224p vertical resolution input, it will be multiplied by 3 by the Shader chain upscaler giving 672p? Then the Sampling multiplier will automatically be set to 672?

It would be nice to understand why and what is now going on here and how it differs from the current default setting of 100, which I thought was the native input (core output) resolution.

I don’t understand this. I thought this setting determined the percentage of scanlines displayed with 100 giving 224 for 224p content, 200 doubling that and 50 giving half the native number of scanlines.

I tried the setting of 1 using Genesis Plus GX and got what appeared to be clumps of scanlines. I’ll see if I can post a screenshot later but it looked pretty strange.

Trying the HDR shaders. The brightness is quite striking. Just to confirm, are the “screen-only” shader the HDR ones?

Took the picture with my phone.

2 Likes

Yes of you set it to 1 it will be exactly as before.

It means that for scalefx setting the scanline Dir multiplier to 0 results in the same sampling multiplier as 300%. At 100% you would not see any effect of the scalefx.

Sorry, I meant a multiplier of 100, not 1

1 Like